What's new

Need help identifying this razor

Hi All,

I've been using a DE but my wifes mother brought me her father's strait razor (she is visiting from California). I really don't know anything about strait razors. Could you help me identify the time period, what brand, if I can still get razors for it (I may ask my local barber for a few classes on using a strait razor), etc...

I don't expect it to be a special or fancy razor, my wife's grandfather was in the navy in WW2 and worked his whole life for the rail road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :001_smile

Some of the markings are as follows:

On side #!: looks like URHAM inside of a big "D", then some crest in the middle, then EMONSTRATOR inside of another big "D" looking thing. And "Made in the USA"

One the other side, call it side 2: On the metal side of the blade holder, "PAT. USA MAY 2.8.07". So does this mean it's relatively new? Below this it says: "AND FOREIGN COUNTRIES."

The blackish, greenish, handle feels like it could be cardboard. How weird. I'm sure it's cheapish~ probably from Walgreens or something, but I'm really curious.

Brian

It doesn't look new at all so 07 might be 1907, but I know nothing of straights and don't know the time period of those razors. I know, I'm not very helpful.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The Durham duplex took/takes blades made solely for it and I believe was used by Barbers and Beauticians as a "shaper" tool for trimming hair.

The Durham duplex took/takes blades made solely for it and I believe was used by Barbers and Beauticians as a "shaper" tool for trimming hair.

Judging from the instruction booklets that came with the Duplex, it was certainly marketed as a men's daily shaver - with what success I have no idea. There is an industrial use blade currently being manufactured which fits the Duplex and some members here have reported getting good results from them after some honing.

Best Regards

Graham

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Judging from the instruction booklets that came with the Duplex, it was certainly marketed as a men's daily shaver - with what success I have no idea. There is an industrial use blade currently being manufactured which fits the Duplex and some members here have reported getting good results from them after some honing.

Best Regards

Graham

I stand corrected. Good info Graham!

Man, you could grate parmesan with this thing! I'm happy straight razors exist. I wouldn't want to try shaving with one of those Durham's.

I've got one. You can get blades for a carpet knife from a hardware store that fits those, however they aren't very good for your face out of the box.

Be very careful taking the blade off. I have had a tendency to cut myself doing that.
J.

Top Bottom