What's new

newb check-in #2

I use the poor-man's preshave (hair conditioner while showering), a (very) low-end badger brush, KMF unscented creme (occasionally +soap), Merkur 1904 open-comb and Drakkar Noir aftershave balm (the scent is among my favorites). I bought a westcoastshaving budget sampler and got the best results with Personna Reds and Crystals.

After three passes I generally get a very close shave, I'd hesitate to say BBS as I'll occasionally get irritation between neck and jaw but it's a lot more reasonable than a cartridge razor, styptic generally knocks it out, and a day's rest and it's like nothing ever happened.

Mostly I concentrate on keeping my wrist straight and blade angle, but I feel like I'm using a LOT more pressure than necessary and at least for the time being I'm pinning it on the razor. I certainly would never go back to a cartridge (full disclosure: I use a Quattro for other body hair) but I'm starting to get unhappy with my shaves and unless I'm doing it terribly wrong I think my kit is the culprit. I've been DE shaving for close to 6 months and have at least some confidence in my technique. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the 1904 so I'm going to start upgrading there.

After reading a few tutorials it feels almost like my setup is "pre-newb", that is, I'm using equipment that is substandard to even a newb kit. I think I'm ready for more of an "intermediate" level. I figure I should be able to get a lot of mileage out of about $100 but I thought I might field advice from the crowd.

I'm not sold on the Futur or Vision -- they look pretty rad but the head size is a real turn-off. I may go vintage, but right now I really have my eyes on a 38C (Barber Pole). I'm not looking for a crazy brush, and pretty much anything that isn't the brush I currently own will feel luxurious :rolleyes:

Anything I'm forgetting about? Anything you used as a somewhat-confident newb that you got good results from? Any input would be appreciated.

Lots of guys on here recommend the HD or the Gillette SS for "beginners." I went with the regular Merkur HD, and I love it. Before I bought it, I was worried that the handle would be too short, as my hands are kind of big, and like you I had my eyes on the barber pole; but I soon discovered that the HD is perfect. It's weighted very nicely, has great ergonomics, and it feels like you're shaving with a real razor.

I went with the 35 dollar pure badger brush from CO Bigelow; it's not a "top of the line" brush, but it's been just fine. Bigelow and Bath Body Works sell repackaged proraso cream for about 10 bucks a tube, and the cream is great and will last a long time. I also like the every man jack pre-shave wash that you can buy at Target.

I've been at this for about a month, and the set up has worked great so far. There's always time in the future to go higher end.

Just my 2 cents

You can't go wrong with a Gillette Tech, IMO. Nice mild shaver that produces BBS shaves without irritation. YMMV...

+1 on the Gillette SS and the Merkur...I have the 23C long handle. Both give good, close, non-harsh shaves. I splurged on the brush because I wanted something more luxurious, but the $35 C&E BBB gets a lot of good press here. Sounds like it might be your option as well. Good luck.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For me the biggest things to learn were about preparing my face for a shave, getting the blade angle right and, using a very light touch.

Face prep for me means getting my puss nice and wet while in the shower. I either use some Prorazo pre-shave or some Proraso shaving cream properly whipped up and moist and then message into my face for at least a minute followed by putting a face cloth on my face with hot tap water for about 30 seconds . . . twice . .. then more shave cream starting with my neck and rubbing in with the brush for at least a minute or so (The directions on the tube of Proraso actually tells you to leave it on for two minutes which is good advice) My neck like yours is my sensitive point so I will actually do two passes above my neck before I take a pass on my neck so that the hair on my neck is really soft when I shave it. It also took me a bit of time to realize exactly which way the hair on my neck was growing so I could properly shave with the grain etc. I finish off with cold water not rubbing with the wash cloth a half teaspoon of witch hazel patted onto my face and sometimes a little Proraso pre/post shave especially on my neck.

I use a 38C myself and am enjoying it greatly. I may be shooting myself in the foot here but I'm guessing technique is 80% of the equation and that the 1904 is just fine. My recollection of using Drakkar Noir after shave was that it stung like hell. I never tried the balm. For less than 5 bucks you might wish to try Aqua Velva.

Oh, and if your face is irritated maybe skip a day or just go with the grain for a bit.

See. . . just on here for two weeks and I'm already giving advice. . . worth every penny you paid for it!!!

uberlegit --

Your initial kit is just fine, and after six months, this is an opportune time to branch out a bit.

You've probably figured out that high cost doesn't necessarily equate to 'best'. There are many fine products out there, including the modern looking Merkurs. You just need to find what fits you and your shaving needs well.

Technique (what you do) is more important that stuff (what you use).

As you branch out and acquire other 'stuff' be sure to be attentive to technique, good prep, sharp blade, proper angle, and light pressure.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom