What's new

Pulled the trigger on a Kent BLK4....

Well, after much mulling and research here, I decided to pull the trigger today on a Kent BLK 4.

I wanted to get a more luxurious brush (silver-tip) that wouldn't scratch my face, as I've experienced with my C&E BBB. Also, I wanted something that could handle soaps and creams, as well as a variation of lathering techniques (face & bowl). I was a little skeptical of going with this choice, as I've heard that Kents are REALLY soft, and can border on floppy, as my first brush is a really moppy/floppy Vulfix pure. But, everyone who responded to my questions informed me that if you have sensitive skin (like I do....really sensitive), then Kent is a good brush.

But, having read a few threads on the Kent's unique ability to serve as an all-around brush, and makes gobs of lather, I decided to go for it. Also, several other descriptions helped seal the deal. Someone described the brush as one that "lets its lather go" in stead of hogging it, like some other brushes do. Seeing as this is one of my major complaints about my BBB, I figured this would be a nice change.

Thanks for all your patience, suggestions, and advice. Everyone on this board is really helpful, as always.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I got one not too long ago, and it's superb. Leaps and bounds above many others. I bet you read this already, but the Kent will say "Pure Badger" when it's really what we'd call something like silvertip. As soon as I opened mine up, I thought I'd inadvertently gotten an inferior grade of hair, but did some quick searches through the forums and was reminded that that's just Kent. It's a very, very good brush.

yeah, I noticed that on some pictures in some other threads. Thanks for mentioning it though.

By the way, while I haven't receive the brush yet, I thought I would give a plug for the quickness of Shipping by the Gentlemen's Shop. According to the tracking number I got (less than an hour after my order, I think), I will receive my brush tomorrow by 10:30 a.m. While I wouldn't be too disappointed if it came a day later, that's pretty darn quick, for ordering late this morning. And it's only 2.5 pounds (not sure what that is in dollars exactly) more than the other shipping option. Basically, for about $95 shipped, I could very well have this thing tomorrow.

yeah, I noticed that on some pictures in some other threads. Thanks for mentioning it though.

By the way, while I haven't receive the brush yet, I thought I would give a plug for the quickness of Shipping by the Gentlemen's Shop. According to the tracking number I got (less than an hour after my order, I think), I will receive my brush tomorrow by 10:30 a.m. While I wouldn't be too disappointed if it came a day later, that's pretty darn quick, for ordering late this morning. And it's only 2.5 pounds (not sure what that is in dollars exactly) more than the other shipping option. Basically, for about $95 shipped, I could very well have this thing tomorrow.

+1 for TGS! Their prices and service are first class! I will definitely order from them again. And the BLK4 adds some variety and beauty to my small collection.

well, I made an error quoting the dates. It's scheduled for delivery on Thursday, by 10:30 a.m. But still, that's REALLY fast.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... brush in mail ...

:a20:

... brush in mail ...

:a36:

... brush in mail ...

:letterk2:

... when oh when will I get my brush in mail??

:clap::a39:

Thanks again to everyone who helped me make my decision. I really can't say enough how helpful everyone on this board is. :thumbup: :a14:

You won't regret your choice, the BK4 is just a great brush that does everything well. I've bought several other high-end brushes since that I no longer have, but the BK4 stays. Besides how effective they are, their handle shape and wide, luxury bloom is just very cool and traditional.

And the Kent packaging is miles ahead of any other brush. You'll feel like you're getting an award or something when you open it. You won't know whether to shave with it, or display it on your mantle. No kidding, it's that nice.

something else of interest. I happened upon another website that sells Kent earlier (though I didn't write down the URL), and they wanted $140 for a BK or BLK 4......that's outrageous, especially when you can order one from Kent for around 40 pounds. Kudos to the Gentlemen's Shop for not marking up their items (they offer the very same price as the manufacturer.

+2 for TGS. I just received my BK4 from them very, very fast (4-5 days). Excellent service!

+1 for TGS! Their prices and service are first class! I will definitely order from them again. And the BLK4 adds some variety and beauty to my small collection.

I'm sure I'll have a full report. For some reason, my fingers have been a little post-happy lately. I think that happens when I get curious, and want to buy something. :blush:

Top Bottom