What's new

dishwasher?

Not personally, but I did buy one that the seller said he put through the dishwasher, and it was very clean and shiny when I got it.

I haven't tried my str8s because of the wood handles, but I do clean my glocks in the dw.

note: swmbo doesn't know about it.

Glad this was posted.. I thought it should work .. was going to try on one of my 'less desirable's..

Wayne

Use an industrial dishwasher, like one in a large restaurant, like Pizza Hut. When I was a kid, I used to work there and man did they have a serious dishwasher, super hot water, much hotter than in an average home and we used some serious dishwashing powder, it burned the food off the plates/utensils and steel pans. I'm sure your razor would come out "cleaner than new". Just don't put any razors will plastic in it, like the handle or later model adjustables with the plastic bottom plate.

I have a dishwasher, but she wants nothing to do with my razors... (runs and hides) no seriously a dishwasher was a must when we were looking for a house.

I haven't tried my str8s because of the wood handles, but I do clean my glocks in the dw.

Wha? I know glocks have a pretty tough finish, but guns + a lot of water seems like a terrible idea to me... How do you keep them from rusting?

Oh, and never tried it with a razor. Hot water, scrubbing bubbles, and a toothbrush have always been enough for me.

Works great on solid razors. I'd think twice about a vintage thin-coated razor. After all, dishwashers use bleach. But, for sure, it's great on my Merkur HD.

(Also, an advantage is that a good dishwasher will basically sterilize a razor. I have a German Bosch, and it does meet stringent FDA sanitization specs.)

Wha? I know glocks have a pretty tough finish, but guns + a lot of water seems like a terrible idea to me... How do you keep them from rusting?

Leaving all that water in the innards of an enclosed firing mechanism wouldn't be too good. But in the days before modern gun cleaning solvents, hot water and a brass bore brush were the preferred method for cleaning rifles. That's one of the reasons military rifles field strip into components so easily. Hot water is still used as a field expedient - you can't get gun solvent out in the bush, but you can heat water almost anywhere. It works great on black powder guns, and older military rifles that use ammunition with corrosive primers.

It works like this. Using hot water (and effort) softens burned-on bore gunk, and the heated metal causes the water to all evaporate off and dry quickly when your done, so no rust. Apply a thin coat of oil, and you're in business.

The only thing that would concern me about using a dishwasher for cleaning razors is the harsh commercial detergents that contain bleach. That why I hand wash my good cooking knives. But I'd think the hot water alone in the dishwasher, maybe with a mild non-bleach detergent, would work great for cleaning razors. Never thought of it, thanks.

You can't hurt a Glock... as long as you oil the barrel after cleaning it... there should be no problems with rust... They put these guns through some serious tests... e.g. freezing it in a ice block... completely submerging it in mud... leaving it under water for several hours... and they still fire without missing a beat...

I've had my 40 cal Glock for 10 years and never had any problems with it... still looks like new.....

Used to use the oven to apply the Teflon spray and bake finishes to pistols. SWMBO always knew when I did it.

Shady24 said:
You can't hurt a Glock... They put these guns through some serious tests... e.g. freezing it in a ice block... completely submerging it in mud... leaving it under water for several hours... and they still fire without missing a beat...

The agency I used to work for tested Glocks but placing them in a bucket of mud for two weeks. They were stored in the evidence room. They took them out, hosed them off then shot a Q-course with them. No failures. Then in fine bureaucratic fashion they chose Taurus.

Back in my days in the service we'd routinely run our M-60s through the washers in the mess hall. Lube them when done and no problems.

Top Bottom