What's new

Tallow-Based Soap: A Compendium

... Joel I think e-shave is veggie based, Le royale is a an awesome soap but some guy has not got off his duff and made any!:tongue_sm

Thanks Gents!

(I was sitting here muttering something about sock monkeys, but Jim said it with so much more class! ... ) :cool:

Arko and Williams are two soaps that are unacceptable to me, especially to be included in this list of fine soaps.

Well, the Arko is acceptable to me due to the excellent shaves it provides, and from experience can advise that you get used to the strong soap smell. The listed ingredients start with Potassium Tallowate.

But I do prefer some of the others.

-- John Gehman

Gents,
Here is a Contributers pre view of a small project I am working on.
I hope to add some more info about who makes what soap, and where, in the coming weeks.
Enjoy,
Jim

Outstanding work. I hope to be trying a triple-milled soap or two in the not too distant future.

Amazingly education post! Thank you! Quick question, you list Floris in the "old"; does this mean that their soap which is currently available isn't as good as the old stuff?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Amazingly education post! Thank you! Quick question, you list Floris in the "old"; does this mean that their soap which is currently available isn't as good as the old stuff?

The new Floris soaps have no tallow in them, if memory serves. :frown:

Yes indeed it is "tallow free" like its a good thing. Tallow based I would recommend AOS, the DR Harris is also a fine choice. If you want to go veggie based the Trumpers is a better performer than the Floris.

Yes indeed it is "tallow free" like its a good thing. Tallow based I would recommend AOS, the DR Harris is also a fine choice. If you want to go veggie based the Trumpers is a better performer than the Floris.

Gotta keep PETA happy. :biggrin:

Straight from the Art of Shaving Website...

The Art of Shaving offers their classic Shaving Soaps. "Formulated with glycerin and coconut oil"

Am I too late? Did they re-formulate or am I freaking out over nothing?

Sorry, just found this in another thread...
The shave soap is tallow based, the website is showing the wrong list.

Arko and Williams are two soaps that are unacceptable to me, especially to be included in this list of fine soaps.

Now that I have smelled Arko for myself, I humbly urge you reconsider your position.

That stuff smells so profoundly bad, it deserves a place in the pantheon based on sheer brass alone. It takes real cojones to market a product that smells like that.

Just got a Valobra shave stick. Grated it down and threw it in the tub with the regular Valobra. Awesome. Feels like Tabac, smells like marzipan!:w00t:

Top Bottom