What's new

Shave Secret oil

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I was looking for something on the bottom shelf at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago and saw a small bottle of some kind of shaving oil called Shave Secret. Less than $3 so I figured, 'what the heck?' and picked up a bottle. I found the bottle yesterday and figured I'd give it a try. I wanted to try it with the DE (Slim cranked down to '4') before I tried it with a straight. Did my normal hot water splash prep and followed the directions. 5 drops in the palm and rub it in. It really didn't feel all that slick but I gave it a go anyway. The razor slid through the beard like glass! Wow. One WTG pass, another splash of water followed by an XTG pass and I was done. 95% BBS. Didn't need an AS either. The only negative, and I guess that it's the same with any oil, is the cleanup afterward. With soap, a good hot rinse and you're done. This required quite a bit more rinsing to get all the gunk out. This stuff just earned a place in my travel bag.

Haven't tried it with a straight yet. Has anybody used it with a straight?

Dont use straights but this stuff is really nice and really doesnt get much respect. As you said...great for travel or even camping. I love the clovey minty smell it has and does make your face very soft with no need for a/s.

Can you post the ingredients?
I just bought some shave oil that works great but was $13 for 1.25 oz bottle and the stuff your talking about sounds similar.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Just says essential oils with a hint of menthol.

The bottle is about 1/2 the size of your $13 oil. 18.75ml = .634 oz.

This stuff comes up a lot. I like it by itself, as a preshave oil, or as a last pass oil (although as a last pass I mix it with olive oil to give it more lubrication) It smells great and the price is right.

To be honest Shave secret looks a lot like what you have posted there but shave secret at walmart is only $3 a bottle.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Probably the same stuff or very similar

http://www.shavesecret.com/

I will have to check for it at walmart. Mine has essensial oils and menthol also so I am sure it is very similar. It is great stuff. I posted this review/ comment a few days ago.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52732

Only double, the Shave Secret is half the size.

Total Shaving Solution? says HIS on the bottle? is that the one you have b/c thats what i have also and its that same stuff! just 4 times a much:mad:

http://www.allaboutshaving.com/web/total-shaving-solution/8/shaving_product.asp

I was naive when I bought it.

Ounce for ounce both products mentioned in the above thread is no so cheep. I do have shave secret and it works just okay. Total Shaving Solution is $15 for 1.25 ounces. I would much rather get The Art of Shaving Oil for $22 for 2oz. I use this stuff often and unlike shave secret it comes completely off while shaving and never leaves a residue.

Ounce for ounce both products mentioned in the above thread is no so cheep. I do have shave secret and it works just okay. Total Shaving Solution is $15 for 1.25 ounces. I would much rather get The Art of Shaving Oil for $22 for 2oz. I use this stuff often and unlike shave secret it comes completely off while shaving and never leaves a residue.

Total shaving solution is way different than other preshave oils I have used like TGR, T&H, and home made stuff. You also use way less of the product per use. 3-4 drops is all you need. This stuff actually stands my hair up and the other oils I have tried seem to just wash off easily with water, but TSS you actually keep adding water to "activate it" (if that is the right word for this?). I never noticed a difference with other oils in terms of a better shave and they never felt like they softened the beard and I would still get irritation when using them. I haven't gotten irritation since using total shaving solution and I just got a slim adj. and cranked it up to 9 and still got no irritation. :001_smile

I noticed Shave Secret on a recent shopping trip and gave it a try based upon what I had read. I decided to test the product by using it in my "running late - gotta shave in the shower" type of scenario. I figured if it worked well under these conditions it would definitely find its way into my shave kit.

Initial reaction: STRONG clove scent!

I washed my face, put five drops of the oil in my hand and rubbed it into my beard vigorously. I then allowed the oil to penetrate my beard while I completed my shower. I got my slim adjustable with a 2x-used Personna, re-wet my beard and proceeded to shave. Hmmm... A bit of dragging - not very slick compared to lather. Completed two passes and checked my shave by feel. Still a good bit of stubble. Completed two more passes and checked again. STILL a good bit of stubble. I finally rubbed my bar of soap (Ouch! Razor burn!) on my face and completed the shave. Patted myself dry and applied som Anthony Logistics ASB WOW! Super sting due to razor burn.

This first try of the product left me feeling as if I had wasted my $3. However, I decided to try the product as a preshave oil and it seems to work better for this purpose. I let the oil penetrate my beard while in the shower and left my face wet with the product until I got to the sink to shave. Rinsed my face with hot water to remove some of the product (it doesn't really go away with a rinse) then lathered with my choice of soap. Used in this manner I managed to get a smooth, irritation-free shave. I may have been more careful with my technique, but even so the oil left my face smoother than if I had used the shave soap alone.

This product will definitely NOT replace any of my shaving soaps, nor will it help to speed up my shaves by any measure. On the other hand, used as a PSO it does seem to work well for me.

As usual, YMMV.

- Mark (S-4-C)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm not sure that I would consider putting it on and then showering a fair evaluation of the product. Unless you've had good luck doing that with other products...

I tried this stuff a few days ago, I like how it works. No irritation, great for travel. but the smell is awful. couldn't they have picked a better scent than clove?

Top Bottom