What's new

New SLR digital recommendations

A young lady I work with is expecting a baby soon. She wants to get a SLR digital camera. I told her that my guys on the shave site(which I am always talking about at work) can help. So what would you guys recommend? Model numbers appreciated.

the best she can afford. I went for a sony video camera ($1,400) w/ picture memory card instead. three kids later it was the best damn money ever spent.

if pic only, I think leica minilux is worth it. Or a cannon EOS1.

Pricey yes, but there are no second chances.

Of course there are a hundred others. Just my experience.

We have a nikon d80 and a 18-200 mm VR lens. There are a few reputable online dealers that have better prices than in the stores once you've narrowed down which one you want.

My sister who has a nikon d40 takes great pictures with it.

While the camera is important....the photographer has an even larger impact on the photos.

Even with the great camera we still use lightroom to edit the tones of almost every pictures.

Depends on budget.

Under $1000, get a Nikon D80 and find a couple of VR lenses for about $200 each.

$1000-$2000, probably a D200, but this is not much different than the D80. Major difference is better weather sealing, and CF cards vs SD. Note that the D300 is in this range and is markedly better than the D200 in nearly every way.

$2000-$3000 probably a D700or maybe a Canon 5D if you can find one cheap.

Over $3000, go for the D3 and make all others weep with envy. :w00t::a47:

I do not recommend the D40x or the D60 as they do not have an Autofocus motor built into the body. Any non DX Nikon lenses will be manual focus, and most aftermarket lenses (Tamron, Tokina) will be manual focus as well. Sigma does make HSM lenses specifically for the D60 and D40x which will AF. I really feel that the lack of dual control dials and fast access buttons on the body hamper my ability to control the camera.

No real right answer for this...

An SLR doesn't guarantee great photos. Give me a Canon G9 and a flash, and I'll take a better picture than an amateur will with a D3 or a 1DsMk3. So, does she have any experience taking photos? Ask her to list what she needs from a camera. She may be better off with a pocket cam like the G9, which will also take videos.

Spacemoose is right if your friend doesn't have much experience with SLRs, and a smaller camera may see more use, leading to more good photos.

But if she's comfortable with an SLR, I can recommend the Canon 40D very strongly. Canon's Rebel DSLR line is terrific, and it's lighter, but it's missing a few features I can't live without, e.g., the second wheel for setting exposure quickly and a bigger, brighter viewfinder. If she wants one lens to start with, I recommend the 17-85 mm IS 4.0-5.6 (equivalent to 28-135 for full frame/35 mm). It's not cheap, and it has some limitations at the wide end, but it's very unlikely that she'll miss a shot or wish she had a different focal length. And if she wants to take fantastic portraits of the newborn, the ultra-inexpensive ($80-90) 50 mm 1.8 (equivalent to 80 mm) is a must have.

Really depends what your co-worker is going to shoot besides taking pictures of her kids.
My recommendations from a die hard film shooter would be:

Nikon D80 and the Pentax K200.

D40 for good pictures without any extras. It's cheap, light and user-friendly. For Nikon, avoid both d40x and d60, they aren't really worth it compared to a d40 which gives perfectly good results at a lower price.
For Canon, anything with the normal 18-55 kit lens is a gamble, and the new kits with the 18-55 is lens is good. 450d in europe, dunno elsewhere.
If size does matter, look at olympus, 420 + a 25mm pancake lens is a nice & cute combination.

For a beginner:

-Canon Rebel XS w/18-55mm lens
-Nikon D40 w/18-55mm lens

Both of those cameras will do everything that someone learning needs.

Really, a lot more info is required to make good recommendation besides simply listing models. As others have stated:

1. What is the budget?
2. What's the skill level?
3. Does your friend already have some glass (i.e. SLR lenses from a previous camera)

Assuming that your friend has the skills and/or is willing to get them, and doesn't have any glass, entry-level dSLRs would probably all fit the bill. I don't find anything wrong with the cameras that don't have built-in image stabilization (IS). Yes, one will get IS with every lens, but that IS is generally superior to built-in IS. Unless your friend is going to turn into a avid photographer, all she will probably get is the camera and one or two lenses, so the Nikon D40x or D60 are good choices. And so are the offerings from SONY (A200, A300, A350), Pentax (K200D), Olympus, and Canon (Rebels).

I would recommend reading as many reviews as possible, make a preliminary selection based on features, then go to a store and try out the cameras in person to see how they fit. If your friend needs to acquire some skills first, reading a good book about dSLR photography might be a good idea, so that she can familiarize herself with the concepts.

Good luck!

Best - MM

A young lady I work with is expecting a baby soon. She wants to get a SLR digital camera. I told her that my guys on the shave site(which I am always talking about at work) can help. So what would you guys recommend? Model numbers appreciated.

I actually am in a similar situation; my wife and I had a baby a few weeks ago. We aren't happy with the pictures we are getting with our old camera and are looking for a DSLR. We had been looking at the olympus e-510. THe reviews that I have seen seem to be pretty good and the price is around 500 bucks which is the sweet spot for us. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

I actually am in a similar situation; my wife and I had a baby a few weeks ago. We aren't happy with the pictures we are getting with our old camera and are looking for a DSLR. We had been looking at the olympus e-510. THe reviews that I have seen seem to be pretty good and the price is around 500 bucks which is the sweet spot for us. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

I recommend people stick with Nikon or Canon for SLRs. The reason being these two companies get the majority of the action, and the chances are 100% that both companies will be making SLRs for a long time to come. Olympus may suddenly decide to stop making SLRs, and Sony might as well. Chances are less for Pentax. The thing is that Nikon and Canon both have the majority of the SLR share, so to me it makes sense to go with one of the more popular lines. You'll get better prices on lenses, and probably better resale value too.

Now, in those two camps, basically anything is good. I'd recommend either the Canon XTi or the Nikon D40 in that price range. I would personally go for the D40 (I did) because it is about $100 cheaper (or more), and is smaller and takes SD Cards. It's also loads easier to use to me. However, I recommend going to Circuit City or a good camera store and trying out the two systems to see which makes more sense to you.

It may be you still like to Olympus. Fine, go with what you like best. You may decide you like the lens it comes with, and have no desire to get more lenses. In that case, it doesn't make a diddly-squat difference what system you go with. Just know that Nikon and Canon have much larger lens libraries than the other players to work with. With the D40, you can buy pretty much any Nikon lens ever made and use it. Even the baffingly cheap old old lenses made in the 60's and 70's called Non-AI. They can be had for like $50 or less on eBay.

Oh, and don't be put off by Megapixels. Anything over 5 is plenty, unless you plan on printing wall-sized portraits with minute detail. 4x6's can be printed using a 2MP image.

keep them coming guys. she is the next 2 days but when she gets back I have got all this to share with her. thank you.

I do not recommend the D40x or the D60 as they do not have an Autofocus motor built into the body

Thats not an issue unless she has Nikon lenses allready. I have a D40x an I'm quite pleased with it. I bought the combo with two Nikon lenses. The lenses could be a little faster, but for the price....

I think it comes down to her budget, and experience with camera gear. I like Nikon and Canon my self

Just had a kid 6 weeks ago

Rod, Congrats!:001_smile

With the D40, you can buy pretty much any Nikon lens ever made and use it. Even the baffingly cheap old old lenses made in the 60's and 70's called Non-AI. They can be had for like $50 or less on eBay.

Yeah, but you can't autofocus with them. And with older lenses you can't meter. And manual focus with the viewfinder in the D40...not my personal cup of tea.

Most lower end DSLR buyers don't end up getting more than the kit lens anyways. (Hence my recommendation for a G9...)

Top Bottom