What's new

First day with the "new" Slim - what's that pink stuff in the sink?

In the words of Bill Cosby, "Zip zop. See that? My face is ripped to shreds!" :)

This morning was my first try with my Slim that arrived earlier this week. I had it set to 3 and slid in a fresh US Personna. I didn't do so well, but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless. As a newbie, I'm still working on getting my technique down and today's shave showed just how far I have yet to go. I've found my Merkur 23c to be a pretty mellow and forgiving shave that hasn't required the attention to detail that I'll need to be an effective wet shaver with a more aggressive razor.

But, the goal was to work with the Slim and improve my technique on the weekends when its ok to have a little irritation, then get back to the Merkur or my new '52 SS for the work week. And I definitely met that goal this morning. :)

Enjoy your weekend everyone,
Jack

As I'm sure others have told you and you have read: apply no pressure. It's a very hard habit to break after using cartridge razors your whole life. I also have the 23C, but am starting to lean towards a '65 SS. I like the Merkur because I think it looks elegant and it shaves fairly well. The SS provides a closer shave though I think.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm healed up today and ready to try again this afternoon. :)

@charliec - Just Williams. But, it serves me well (enough) with the Merkur and my SS, so I don't think its a problem.

@Prince et al - I think I want to keep it at 3 for now. I'm pretty confident the problem is my technique and adjusting the razor down may only serve to facilitate continued bad behavior. The cuts and irritation are a powerful incentive to concentrate on getting it right. :)

Thanks again, everyone, I continue to be exceedingly grateful for the valuable feedback and knowledge share available at B&B.

Jack

In the words of Bill Cosby, "Zip zop. See that? My face is ripped to shreds!" :)

This morning was my first try with my Slim that arrived earlier this week. I had it set to 3 and slid in a fresh US Personna. I didn't do so well, but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless. As a newbie, I'm still working on getting my technique down and today's shave showed just how far I have yet to go. I've found my Merkur 23c to be a pretty mellow and forgiving shave that hasn't required the attention to detail that I'll need to be an effective wet shaver with a more aggressive razor.

But, the goal was to work with the Slim and improve my technique on the weekends when its ok to have a little irritation, then get back to the Merkur or my new '52 SS for the work week. And I definitely met that goal this morning. :)

Enjoy your weekend everyone,
Jack

Top Bottom