What's new

Legit eBay email?

People here do a lot of eBaying, so I thought this would be a great place to ask it. I paid for an auction tonight, or so I thought. I got an email saying "Action required: Your payment needs to be resent." The email appears to be legit, as my full name at the top of the email, and I even found this link: http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100181254&tstart=40&mod=1214827713416 But I can't tell from that link if it's okay or not.... Wow, this spell check says "okay" isn't a word? Hmmm. Maybe it's not. Anyway, I have no messages in my ebay account itself saying it didn't go through, but this transaction doesn't appear to be marked as paid, either.

Side note: something you don't see every day on eBay: A separate transaction, I won an auction, then added something from her store, then paid, and she left me positive feedback! You know, how it should be! She didn't wait for me to leave her positive feedback or anything. I never thought I'd see that again.

It looks like you were directed to a FORUM on ebay, someone had posted this message but when you link to it, it looks like a legetimate message because, well it IS on ebay, except its a FORUM on ebay, open to anyone to read (and link to).

I've gotten quite a few 'scam ebay' emails. If it looks suspicious, like you, I just go into my ebay account and if there's no message there I know for sure it's bogus. You might want to forward it to ebay fraud unit.

I had my ebay account hijacked a couple years ago by some hacker. They were listing new high dollar cell phones [which were non-existent of course] on my account which has a perfect feedback score. They got into my account preferences and changed the payment info from me to them, the hackers.

I managed to catch it when only two of the six phones had been 'sold'. Contacted ebay fraud unit, who took care of it. However, I had to change my password, reset all my preferences, etc. Then ebay credited my account for all those listing and selling fees the scammers had run up. I didn't lose any money, but it was a big hassle and took nearly two months to completely resolve everything.

I have since ordered the 'Security Key' which is an extra layer of online security for both ebay and PayPal. It's a little electronic device about the size of a thumb drive that displays a different six digit security code each time you press the button. You enter this number after your enter your user name and password.

Ebay or PayPal doesn't send emails requesting you to verify confidential information. I log into their site if there's any doubt. :w00t:

It looks like you were directed to a FORUM on ebay, someone had posted this message but when you link to it, it looks like a legetimate message because, well it IS on ebay, except its a FORUM on ebay, open to anyone to read (and link to).

I wasn't clear in my original post. That link wasn't in the email I got. I found that link when googling the email.

It is a scam. period.
It is very easy to get your name... You paid someone and you have to provide a name and an address. First suspect, the seller. check your pay pal account. If there is a record of payment, the payment was made. Either way, it is not ebay who has to handle payments but paypal.

It is a scam. period.
It is very easy to get your name... You paid someone and you have to provide a name and an address. First suspect, the seller. check your pay pal account. If there is a record of payment, the payment was made. Either way, it is not ebay who has to handle payments but paypal.

No record of my payment in PayPal or on eBay. Still looks like the item needs to be paid for on eBay, and there's nothing at all about it on my PayPal account.

Report and send the message to ebay. They have a something you can click on and report this kind of thing.

Ah, I put my shipping address in as different than my confirmed, and they only ship to confirmed. That could be why it didn't go through.... Ugh, now I have to get a money order. I need to read the fine print better before bidding. I hate money orders more than anything. I can never figure out how to fill them out.

Its a fake. I cant go to ebay at work but when I clicked on your link, I got to go to that site. I tried to go to ebay right after and the filter at work said no way.

Its a fake. I cant go to ebay at work but when I clicked on your link, I got to go to that site. I tried to go to ebay right after and the filter at work said no way.

I didn't get emailed that site; that site is what I came across when I was googling the problem. That's odd that you got to go to it, though, since it's an ebay forum. Maybe because it's .co.uk?

I didn't get emailed that site; that site is what I came across when I was googling the problem. That's odd that you got to go to it, though, since it's an ebay forum. Maybe because it's .co.uk?

I cant even go to co.uk. trust me, I tried. just chalk it up to weird.

Top Bottom