What's new

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Haven't seen a thread about these little slices of deliciousness here. So: what is your favorite recipe? Do you like your cookies light and cakey? Crunchy? Chewy?

Alton Brown did a show a ways back about the science behind making cookies, and in particular how to take the classic Tollhouse recipe and tweak it to emphasize certain traits in the end product. I've always been a fan of moist, chewy cookies, and his recipe from that show for The Chewy is far and above the best I've had.

Reproduced here:
2 sticks melted unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs, milk, and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and slowly incorporate them in the mix. Add chocolate chips. Chill the dough. Scoop out and bake at 375 until delicious (his recipe calls for 14 minutes, I find they only need 10).

My mom's recipe is always a hit. Its simple and GUARNTEED to be the best chocolate chip cookie you have EVER tried.

1 box DUNCAN HINES Moist Yellow cake mix (it has to be the kind you add OIL, not butter!!!!)
1 egg
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil (regular canola works great)

Mix ingrients until combined. There might be some small dry chunks left. Its ok.

Add in 1/2 bag Nestle SEMI SWEET morsels. Must be semi sweet. Milk Chocolate ends up being way to sweet.

Dole out small spoonfulls on a baking sheet. Bake for ~10-12 min @ 350. If they turn brown, you burned them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Can't we ever have a thread that's noncontentious, such as religion, politics, or barbecue? :001_rolle

I recently made Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies off a recipe I found one one of the various blogs I visit. Took 2 whole pounds of bacon for a batch of about 40 cookies. My nephew and niece (6 and 3) thought they were the best cookies ever. My coworkers originally gave me weird looks, but 9 of the 10 who tried them requested the recipe. I personally love bacon, and these cookies were great. mmmmm bacon. I have the recipe at home somewhere...should have stuck it in my Google Docs.

I make a pretty standard cocolate chip cookie, my twists are as follows:

1) Use really good chocolate chips - or, better yet, chop some good chocolate into chunks; and

2) Add a bit of orange zest - about a teaspoon.

If you want chewy cookies, form the cookies on the baking pan and then put the pan in the freezer for about 5 - 10 minutes or chill the batter before forming the cookies and keep it in the fridge/freezer between batches.

My lazy routine is to press the batter into a pan and make bar cookies - you have to adjust the cooking time (longer) and temperature (a little cooler).

I like AB's Chewy recipe but find that fresh out of the oven they have a weird after taste. I think it's the unsalted butter he uses. HOWEVER, the next day, they are freakin' awesome!

I guess, like a good steak, AB's cookies need resting time. :biggrin:

I recently made Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies off a recipe I found one one of the various blogs I visit. Took 2 whole pounds of bacon for a batch of about 40 cookies. My nephew and niece (6 and 3) thought they were the best cookies ever. My coworkers originally gave me weird looks, but 9 of the 10 who tried them requested the recipe. I personally love bacon, and these cookies were great. mmmmm bacon. I have the recipe at home somewhere...should have stuck it in my Google Docs.

Bacon huh? You've got to post this for us.

I've never had a chocolate chip cookie that I couldn't eat; some are just better than others. Just for reference I find the soft ones are easier to eat by the truck load.

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Ingredients:

1. 532.35 cm3 gluten
2. 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3. 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4. 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5. 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6. 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7. 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8. Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9. 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10. 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10) To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous. To reactor #2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the homogenous mixture in reactor #1.
Additionally, add ingredients nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.
Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to equilibrium.

The best recipe for chocolate chip cookies is...

Enter the mall and walk to Mrs. Fields. Order two semi sweet cookies with no nuts.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Ingredients:

1. 532.35 cm3 gluten
2. 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3. 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4. 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5. 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6. 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7. 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8. Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9. 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10. 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10) To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous. To reactor #2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the homogenous mixture in reactor #1.
Additionally, add ingredients nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.
Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to equilibrium.

Why, that's my exact recipe.

How about "name" brands? I'm partial to Famous Amos and David's, but I'll eat just about anything. Is it possible to love them all?

I basically follow the Tollhouse recipe. I don't know if it's the altitude or what but I add over 3 -3 1/2 cups of flour to get mine nice and cakey, an extra dose of real Vanilla and a handful of Raisins.

Oh yah and Chocolate Chip cookies must have nuts in them, preferably Walnuts but I like to experiment.

That's the one. Make sure you make the maple glaze for the top, and use real maple extract. I omitted the cinnamon for the glaze, because it was just too much.... it took 2 lbs of bacon to make 2 cupd of bacon bits (minus a couple of pieces that I ate... ok, like 7 pieces of bacon that I ate!)

okay this thread is well and all but enough stammering. someone make me some cookies and send them to me post haste.
Thank you.

V

VR6ofpain

I think I have the ingredients to make some cookies. Now how to convince the fiancee to bake them?

MY 7 step (NO BAKE) RECIPE:

Ingredients:
$2.25
slip-on vans (solid black)

Step 1
Slip on your slip-on vans (any color you got)

Step 2
Go to corner store

Step 3
pet slinky (the cat)

Step 4
Get peppridge farm chocolate chunk

Step 5
pay Samir $2.25

Step 6
Go home

Step 7
pour milk, dunk cookie, EAT!!!

An often overlooked aspect of chocolate chip cookie indulgence is the milk. Everyone has their preferred cookie, but to truly appreciate it you need good milk. One cannot use any regular skim milk and get the full experience. No, you need real milk. Whole milk, from a dairy if possible, is the only way to go.

My girlfriend swears that they get better when she lets the cookie dough sit in the fridge for a day before she bakes them. She says the recipe doesn't matter as much as letting them sit that way. I can't really tell that much difference but her cookies are pretty good.

Top Bottom