What's new

Gem Junior

I have a Gem Junior in gold. I can't find a review on it. Can anyone tell me exactly how to shave with it and where I can get a few blades to try. I've read posts on buying 200, I don't think I want to make that investment to try it.

View attachment 25399 My box is different.

I have a Gem Junior in gold. I can't find a review on it. Can anyone tell me exactly how to shave with it and where I can get a few blades to try. I've read posts on buying 200, I don't think I want to make that investment to try it.

View attachment 25399 My box is different.

RUN AWAY

(kidding)
There is a thread that's ongoing in the BST forum about the blades -
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47715

People have been doing splits on the orders successfully for a while. I participated in one and received like 50 blades for a decent price (like 10 or 12 dollars, can't remember for sure), though the wait can be annoying.

The Gem razors are interesting. You'll find a lot of people swear by them - I have had a lot of trouble getting a good shave without tearing myself to shreds, but it's likely that's due to my inexperience. Supposedly once you figure them out, though, you're gonna be rabid. :)

I guess the trick is to hold the razor's head just about flat on your skin. NO ANGLE. NO PRESSURE. Good luck. :)

The angle varies depending on the razor, I have found. Certainly you don't want to hold it at the same type of angle you would a double edge. I got good results with some GEM blades I picked up at my local Walgreen's. I have an early '30s Ever-ready, and I love it. I think these get overlooked, but the advantage is that you can usually pick up some really nice, good condition razors for dirt cheap. Welcome to SEAD. I have a GEM G-Bar coming my way from the Bay. There is one particular member who swears by them - DIrving (that is not his full username, but you should be able to locate him in the member's list with that). He would be a good person to ask.

A big +1 on no pressure.
I scored a small stash of GEM razors at an antique mall a little over a month ago, 5 of them for 2 bucks each. In that time I've only used those razors and GEM blades I bought at Walgreen's. Some razors do seem to be a little more forgiving than others, and it does require a slightly different technique than my DE's, but I'm really loving the shaves I'm getting out of them. Especially a gold-tone TTO model, haven't done any research yet, so I don't know the details.
I did jump into a 200 blade order that should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think of those blades after I get a chance to use them for a while.

I've had good luck with GEM blades in my two GEM razors. When I shave with them, it's either flat against the face or lifted very slightly. There's a different sound to the shave when you use them.

Top Bottom