What's new

Best Sun Burn treatment

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This past weekend I got burned pretty bad in the sun. My face looked like it had road rash. It is getting better now and I have been using aloe gel. I've also found the Art of Shaving lemon after shave balm to be quite healing as well in the past.

Anyone else have any other recommendations for pain relief and healing. Pain relief is the biggest thing, I know it will heal eventually. I'm mostly concerned for future burns. I doubt this will be the last.

I lived in a tropical country as a child. I was always told aloe gel of some sort was the best for soothing bad sunburn.

If you figure out anything else that's really effective, let me know.

Hope your skin heals soon.

I lived in a tropical country as a child. I was always told aloe gel of some sort was the best for soothing bad sunburn.

If you figure out anything else that's really effective, let me know.

Hope your skin heals soon.

+1 on the Aloe vera. I use it right from the plant. My in-laws have one at there house. Nothing works better IMHO:cool:

Having grown up in Texas, I've suffered a few sun burns. There's really nothing better than Aloe Gel that you're using now. We used to keep ours in the refrigerator for extra cooling power. Now days, I make sure that I apply sunscreen at least three times through out the day if I'm going to be out all day.

+1 on Aloe, especially straight from the source. My wife is partial to Solarcaine spray. Cools instantly, and that may help with some of the pain relief. I'm not as sold on it, might be more of a mental thing IMO, but if it works, it works.

Here are some more remedies:

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_sunb.htm

some highlights (other than aloe vera):

Apple cider vinegar Apply apple cider vinegar to the burn with a cottonball, or make a cooling compress for a large area to relieve the pain. Keep the skin moistened. This remedy will prevent blistering and peeling.

Aspirin Aspirin kills the pain and reduces inflammation and redness of a sunburn. It short-circuits the whole sunburn process. It must be taken within 24 hours of getting sunburned. Aspirin is preferable to ibuprofen or acetaminophen because it is less stressful on the liver and kidneys.

Milk Make a compress of whole milk (or buttermilk) and apply to the burned area for 20 minutes; repeat every two to four hours. Wash the milk off so you won't smell sour! The fat content of the milk is soothing for burns.

Being fair-skinned and living in the deep South is quite the winning combo. :biggrin: So, without hesitation, you need to get some 100% Aloe Vera to apply. Just that. It works wonders.

Something w/ both Aloe and Lidocaine would be my vote.

My wife is partial to Solarcaine spray. Cools instantly, and that may help with some of the pain relief. I'm not as sold on it, might be more of a mental thing IMO, but if it works, it works.

Solarcaine is great for the pain, but it doesn't seem to last long. I keep it around for other burns, but for sunburns I use an aloe and lidocaine spray, like this one.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like aloe is still tops. And yes, I know I should have used sun block. It is what has allowed me to go so many years without more trouble.

Dont laugh but a warm bath with vinegar(about a pint to quart) and just soak. Kills the pain and doesnt smell believe it or not afterwards.

Natural yogurt is the thing to use. Got this tip off the Greeks when on holiday there, it really works, a friend burnt herself and this sorted it out quickly.

Top Bottom