What's new

Best playing cards

I play a lot of bridge so good quality playing cards are important to me. My preference has always been Waddingtons Number 1 cards so in preparation for a bridge weekend last week I bought two packs to use. I was very disappointed to open the packs and find many of the cards were unevenly cut, the "linen finish" was much less defined and in fact I suspect merely moulded on to the plastic laminate, the finish didn't cover the edges so they had a tendency to lift slightly along the sides, they also seemed thinner than usual and just not as crisp to handle. Some of my mates also noticed the cards weren't of the same quality as usual. By the end of the weekend the cards were wrecked - now don't get me wrong, whatever packs are used on one of our weekends get a real pounding and I expect then to show wear but I've never had Waddingtons packs completely worn out before. My conclusion is that Waddingtons have changed supplier or decided to cut costs on production because the cards are simply not as good as they used to be.

The only alternative cards I know of a similar standard to how Waddintons used to be, are Piatnik but they tend to be very expensive.

You're such a knowledgeable lot on this site I thought I'd ask if anybody had any recommendations but I should point out that Poker sized playing cards are not ideal for bridge.

Hi there,
Well, I grew up with a preference for either Bee or Bicycle brands. Both good quality cards, and I know for sure Bicycle makes a bridge sized deck. Hehe, handy when playing hearts also.
I can't remember if Bee makes that size, but I can't recall ever seeing any. Try the Bikes......I think you'll like em.
Hope that helps,
Martin

I always liked Kem cards the best. They are solid plastic and will last for many years. They are specifically bridge cards. I don't know, maybe they make other types, too.

I have never encountered Waddington cards. I would like to try them.

Tim

For Bridge, I like Kem cards. For poker, I usually go through three or four new decks each game, so any nicely laminated deck out of Cincinnati with a symmetric pattern does fine. I don't hold on to them long enough to develop an attachment.

The plastic cards are the way to go. They are more expensive than the coated paper cards but worth it in the long run. I use Kem cards and have heard that copag makes good cards also. I also think copag cards are a little cheaper in price. Do a search online to find out where to buy them in the UK.

http://www.kem.com/

http://www.copagusa.com/

Hi again,
I've used the Kem types years ago, and yeah, they have their advantages. They retain their spring really well, last a long time, and I believe can even be washed if needed.
The problem I had with those is the feel............I just don't like the finish on those at all...........too much of a plastic texture (makes sense). Plus, there's no backbone to em when shuffling, which bugs me. Maybe they're better now, but I never understood the attraction. Hehe, I'm sure to be in the minority on this subject, but there you go. The best thing those plastic cards are good for is doing a one handed dovetail shuffle, because they're so limber.
Martin

Hi again,
I've used the Kem types years ago, and yeah, they have their advantages. They retain their spring really well, last a long time, and I believe can even be washed if needed.
The problem I had with those is the feel............I just don't like the finish on those at all...........too much of a plastic texture (makes sense). Plus, there's no backbone to em when shuffling, which bugs me. Maybe they're better now, but I never understood the attraction. Hehe, I'm sure to be in the minority on this subject, but there you go. The best thing those plastic cards are good for is doing a one handed dovetail shuffle, because they're so limber.
Martin

i have used kem cards for years and really like them. in truth though, i like the feel of a good laminated deck much better but the problem is they do not last long at all and i dont like to toss stuff in the trash if i dont have to.

kem cards can be washed and last a very long time. replacement cards can be purchased also. they are slippery so shuffling may take some adjustments. i like the crispness they have and always shuffle together very well consistantly. laminated decks start to bug me after a few dozen shuffles.

cheers,
ryan

I used to work for a puzzle/board game store. I'd definitely suggest some of the plastic playing cards, such as the KEMs mentioned earlier. Even though they're very expensive, KEM cards are great quality and will last for a while. A slightly cheaper plastic playing card of the same quality is made by Da Vinci. These are both great plastic playing cards that will last for a long time.

I've got a couple of sets of KEMs and Copags, as I run a regular poker night at PompeyBill Towers. They're both great sets of cards, hard to say what would be my favourites out of the two makes (apart from a set of my KEMs being official World Series of Poker cards).

Basically, go with either of these makes and you can't go wrong. More expensive than most cards but you'll be paying for both quality and longevity.

Thanks for the suggestions - I just ordered some Copag cards but I'll probably try the Kem cards too at some point.

Bicycle work for me, and I like the finish. But Piatnik are much classier. We just got an automatic shuffler and it seems like it will make the cards last much longer.

Yeah, as a former magic enthusiast I've got to go with Bicycle or Bee, I need the air cussion finish. Plastic cards have always irritated me, nothing shuffles quite like a fresh, or even not so fresh, pack of Bicycles.

Yeah, as a former magic enthusiast I've got to go with Bicycle or Bee

Now I've got a pack of Copag cards I can say I definitely wouldn't use plastic cards for magic. They "talk" far too much and they're just a little bit to slippery for comfortably making a pass - I've dropped some trying and even a good pass seems sloppy. I think they will work pretty well for just playing cards though (which I suppose is fair enough since that's what they're supposed to be for).

I prefer the feel of laminate cards.

Top Bottom