What's new

Lapping question

Last night, I attempted to lap my Norton 4K/8K with the DMT D8C. Something that I hadn't previously seen a post about happened, after finishing my strokes, when I tried lifting the DMT off the Norton, they decided to stick together. Is there a proper way to lift or slide the sharpener off the hone? Could I have been using too much or too little water on the Norton?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I lap under slow running water and when it gets just right, you have to slide it off to one side. When it gets close, hold them vertical under the running water. Much easier.

U

Utopian

As you are lapping, you are creating an increasingly perfect fit between the hone and the lapping plate. When the hone is flat, it fits very tightly against the plate and when you try to pull the wet plates apart, you are creating a vacuum. Since nature abhors a vacuum, it is difficult to create it. Did you ever play with rubber tipped darts as a kid? Remember how they would stick to smooth surfaces like windows and refrigerators but would stick better if they were wet? As you pulled the dart off, it would make a popping sound. As you pulled the dart you were creating a partial vacuum within the cup of the rubber tip.
The same thing is going on between your hone and plate. As Kelbro pointed out, sliding the plate and hone apart allows the separation to occur without fighting against a vacuum. I find it easier to first rotate the hone 90 degrees so that the hone and plate are perpendicular to each other so that there is less surface contact and then I slide them apart.

Top Bottom