What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable - What setting should i start at?

I just received my first adjustable razor, the Gillette Slim.
I've been using the merkur HD for the last 2 weeks with a derby blade exclusively.

I also just received my blade sampler pack today as well.
Feather
Dorco 301
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge yellow
Red Pack Personna
Iridium Super
Polsiver

I decided to first try the adjustable with the derby since thats what I've been using with the HD, but I need some tips on which setting to start with.

I was thinking of starting at 3 since from what i've heard 1 and 2 is a bit too mild. I've never been able to get a BBS shave in my neck area with the HD+derby what setting would be about equal to the HD?

2 or 3 should be about the same as the HD. It is not exact I do not think. Start off at 3 and give it a go...what's the worse that could happen :mellow:

Seriously though...

What Lefty said. 3 is a good starting point, that's where I had my Super Adjustable set for my first adjustable shave.

I set mine to 4. I also seem to have a problem getting BBS on the neck area actually under chin. You should be able to tell right away if 3 is not enough.

My experience with the slim is that 3 is a little milder than my HD, and 4 a little more aggressive.

3, for sure. I recommend starting with the red pack, 7 O'Clock, or Dorcos. Forget it's adjustable for the first month. No, I am being serious. Use each blade 3 or maybe 4 times, then move on to a new blade. Whether you run through the whole pack and move to a new brand, or sample blades, that makes little difference, though I'd leave the Feathers out for a while. You need to get used to that razor.

I usually put my Slim/Fat adjustables on 5, though I cranked the Fat Boy up to 7 today and caught a little razor burn for my hubris.

Whoa, this is a little weird. You see, I logged on to B&B this evening looking for just this info. My version would've read...

I just received my first adjustable razor, the Gillette Slim. I've been using the merkur 23c for the last 2 months with US Personna blades exclusively.

I also just received my blade sampler pack yesterday as well.
(slightly different list, although includes Feathers, 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge Yellow and Red Pack Personna)

I decided to first try the adjustable with my US Personnas since thats what I've been using with the 23c, but I need some tips on which setting to start with.

Seriously, I specifically came here looking for *exactly* the same info. Weird.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I'm going to try my "new" SS tomorrow and will dial the Slim into 3 Saturday morning.

Jack

I just received my first adjustable razor, the Gillette Slim.
I've been using the merkur HD for the last 2 weeks with a derby blade exclusively.

I also just received my blade sampler pack today as well.
Feather
Dorco 301
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge yellow
Red Pack Personna
Iridium Super
Polsiver

I decided to first try the adjustable with the derby since thats what I've been using with the HD, but I need some tips on which setting to start with.

I was thinking of starting at 3 since from what i've heard 1 and 2 is a bit too mild. I've never been able to get a BBS shave in my neck area with the HD+derby what setting would be about equal to the HD?

changed my mind and decided to put off trying the slim for now.
the allure of trying the new blades with the HD was too strong.

I tried the red pack personna with my hd today. Wow huge difference compared to the derby.
I knew from reading all the hundreds of posts saying blade to blade theres a huge difference for each person but still I was amazed by the difference.
i'd actually been thinking of going back to mach3 shaving but had decided to try another razor instead, which is why i bought the slim.
now i wish i had put off buying the slim till i had gone thru the sample pack with the hd first. but only because it seems sad that the slim will be just sitting on my shelf for probably at least 2 weeks.
Much smoother shave, especially on my upper lip when going against the grain.
With the derby there was whole lot of tugging when going ATG on the upper lip every single shave. Absolutely smooth with the red pack.

Going to use the redpack + hd for a few more shaves until the blade wears out and will move on to either the 7 oclock, polsilver, or the iridium.
those 3 are supposed to be up there in terms of sharpness right? like right under the feather?

Just curious but what setting would correspond to the Merkur Slant?

You and that Slant razor! :001_rolle

Honestly I think it's a difficult question, since the Slant changes the way the blade cuts, not just how much of it is exposed. I get better shaves with the Slant than with, say, that Fat Boy cranked up to 7, though I don't think the Slant has a greater blade exposure overall -- though it does seem like the Slant has a variation in how aggressive the blade is across the width of the razor head.

There was an epic thread a few months ago that included some math about the Slant. It was interesting to see the take on the question. Another thread is here (with neat pictures).

Top Bottom