Well Saturday was my official de-virginization. With my new setup of a Merkur HD, Merkur blades, Vulfix #2234, and a tub of Nancy Boy, I set out to in what I expected would be a blood bath.
I did my homework and preped by drawing a circle on the mirror with a dry erase marker then noting my growth pattern. Not as a reference, but more as a reminder. It's a very handy trick, just make sure to reassure your wife that "yes it will come off the glass."
This time I went all out and boiled hot water in the kettle then filled my ceramic mixing bowl with boiling water while I showered to soften the beard. The bowl was nice and hot when I got to the sink... so was the brush that was in the water.
I mixed up a good later, worked it in for a few minutes on my face, then got started slowly. First pass was very slow and methodical. Then I realized that years of Mach3 Shaving had served me well as I noticed that I used to hold my old razor in the same way and angle needed for my new HD. As a result the second past was more relaxed a faster.
This morning was my second attempt and I had about the same results as Saturday. Some rough patches persist just under the jaw bone and the spot under my nose is REALLY hard to get to. I'm only doing two passes for now until I get it all down. I'm also looking forward to trying some different blades this week (once I get my sample pack) to see the difference.
Well there you have it. And so far, no blood bath.