What's new

Leather strop - both sides

I have the same question regarding my Tony Miller apprentice strop. I highly recommend Tony as he was great with communication and quick on delivery, in addition to the strop being in such great shape.

However, if you don't have a canvas/linen side, what would be the recommended strokes, and should I use just the top or both sides?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
In the case of my strops, the Apprentice in particular it is the front, smooth side with the logo that is designed for use. The back may or may not be usable but in most cases is usable if one wants a more coarse, preliminary stropping surface.

Some like to use the back of mine for pastes like chromium oxide but in a beginners hands it is a quick path to a rounded edge. I prefer smooth surface strops for pastes and then only in experienced hands. Any slack in a pasted hanging strop will risk rounding the edge and I do wonder if the looser fibers on the rough side, when charged with an abrasive will do the same thing even if taut.

On a leather/cloth (linen or cotton) strop start on the cloth side. on my Dual leather Originals and Artisans it can vary. If using both sides in a single stropping always start on the more coarse, or higher draw side, ie the Latigo side of a Latigo/Horsehide Combo or the brushed Horsehide side of a Dual Horsehide strop. Many though use each independantly, the smoother, low draw side for delicate full hollow razors, the rougher, higher draw side for wedges or heavy weight razors as one has better control if the razor movment is restrained a bit.

Tony

Top Bottom