What's new

What are you listening to? What do you think?

First of all I am new to this and have not mastered the thread posting etiquette. Thanks for your patience.

I got an idea from reading a couple of threads about someone seeking recommendations about blues music and peoples current favourite songs. I found these posts interesting as a passionate music listener. I think of myself as having an open mind and a discerning taste, as I have come to realize most of the other people on this website also do. I think that is part of the reason people get into wetshaving. If we just did all of the things the media force fed us in today’s current culture we would be lining up in front of the drug store waiting for the next 10 blade disposable razor. I think to get into wetshaving you need to dig a little deeper or accept a different point of view. I like to think this is why I got into wetshaving, and I get the impression other people feel this way. You could have been wetshaving from the beginning or just picked it up after years of other methods, but you have accepted a different way of doing things.

I have a bit of an obsession with music, my friends would say. I would describe my taste as eclectic as I can honestly say that I can appreciate every type of music I have heard. Although there are terrible bands and songs out there I think there is something to enjoy in all types of music. I am not saying that if I disagree with someone’s musical opinion they don’t know what they are talking about because people’s tastes are probably just like peoples methods of shaving, vastly different. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. Lastly, you should know that I have a very crude understanding of the technical side of music. I enjoy music because of the way it makes me feel.

So, to the point.

Part One: I would like to know bands/groups/musicians/artists that people enjoy and why.

Part Two: What do people think about the music that I, and everyone else like?

So I will get things started.

1. I have so many bands and stuff that I like that I will only list a couple randomly.

A current rock band that I really like is The Hold Steady. I heard about these guys a year or so ago and promptly bought all of their albums that I could get my hands on. Great toe tapping rock’n roll. I have a soft spot in my heart for pianos and they seem to use it well. The lyrics tell stories about dark topics and interesting characters so there is something to think about also. They have a newish album that I have purchased, but have not had a lot of time to listen to. What I have heard I have really enjoyed. Their previous album was one of my most listened to last year.

An electronic band that I have really enjoyed recently is Cut Copy. They are kind of a pop-rock-techno hybrid. They have a very retro (think early eighties) sound. Good to listen to loud while dancing with friends. I have not been into them for a long time but I believe they have been popular in Australia for a little while. A great band to check out if you are into this new techno-pop hybrid thing the kids have going on right now or if you miss eighties songs like “I Ran” by Flock of Seagulls.

Alright, this band has a soft spot in my heart. A few years ago in my last year of university I really got into The Band. I had always known about them, but I never really knew anything about them. I read the book “This Wheel’s on Fire” by Levon Helm, the drummer of The Band and became obsessed with them. If you have not herd about them and enjoy classic rock, blues, country, bluegrass, or folk music check out the albums “Music from Big Pink” or “The Band”. These albums are some of my favourites and every time I listen to them I find something new to enjoy. If you have herd of them, but not really listened to them, plug your headphones in. As you can guess from above I also recommend checking out the above mentioned book or rent “The Last Waltz” on DVD. I could go on and on about The Band or music in general, but I think my post is long enough.

2. I think you all listen to great music, I think.

Anyway, I look forward to your opinions and thoughts.

When I was a youngster back in the '70's, I spent a day at Six Flags Over Texas, and picked up a cheap derby to wear. That hat has become my "ticket stub" scrapbook. You'll find Aerosmith, Boston, Chicago, Damn Yankees...etc., stubs stuck in the hatband. You'll find Alice Cooper, Rush, and...drumroll please, Lawrence Welk and Stan Kenton in the hatband as well. Chuck Mangione, Maynard Ferguson, ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, Heart and WAY too many others to mention. I like what I like. Due to my partial hearing loss, choral music and opera just don't work for me. And I believe that is my loss. And while we may disagree about what is great music, I try to be open minded. How great is was last year to watch Eric Clapton play, and at the same time, by way of the big screens, to see his admiration of Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II as they worked their guitar magic. Or to see Zac Starkey (yeah, Ringo's boy) sit at the drum kit where Keith Moon belonged with The Who.

Great music is where you find it. We all like different things. Different sounds and different genres. But music can touch the senses just like smell and taste. Hearing songs can conjure up memories that pump us up or melt our hearts and bring tears to our eyes. In my world, music is the universal language.

Randy

I have eclectic tastes and one time I sold some CDs at a store, the guy held up a Suicidal Tendencies CD and one by Junior Brown and looks at me like ***???

Right now in my truck I've got:

Ween - White Pepper
The Clash - London Calling
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West - Stratosphere Boogie

Boy, try to find a common thread there. :confused:

Top Bottom