What's new

Lip Balm request

Whats everybody using as a lip balm?
Being the active outdoor type I destroy my lips at least a few times each fall/winter.

I have used Burt's bees and a few other brands over the years- lately all of them have been reformulated and have Mint-menthol-camphor or chamomile in them.
I despise the smell of these mint type products.

No - I really hate them!:mad:

So what product would you suggest?

Thanks Sue
Is blistex the creamy one or a waxy stick? is it flavored?

I really want one with no scent at all that is a barrier type.

GOOSEME:

Hands down THE best lip balm is the Jack Black Lip Balm... The reason is that it's SHEA BUTTER based, NOT petroleum... It moisturizes your lips, without making them greasy... Trust me, it's worth the 6 bucks at Nordstrom (or Sephora or pretty much any other cosmetic store...) It's "for men" and has a great mint flavor...

In a day or two, your lips are soft, smooth, and you have a nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

Find it here.

Or find it at Amazon for $8 here.

NYLaw said:
GOOSEME:

Hands down THE best lip balm is the Jack Black Lip Balm... The reason is that it's SHEA BUTTER based, NOT petroleum... It moisturizes your lips, without making them greasy... Trust me, it's worth the 6 bucks at Nordstrom (or Sephora or pretty much any other cosmetic store...) It's "for men" and has a great mint flavor...

In a day or two, your lips are soft, smooth, and you have a nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

Find it here.

Or find it at Amazon for $8 here.

nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

lately all of them have been reformulated and have Mint-menthol-camphor or or chamomile in them.
I despise the smell of these mint type products.

Thanks anyway!

Goose- It's truly a very, very SUBTLE mintiness... And it's not an artificial overpowering MINT- it's from natural mint in the mix.

Anyway, yes, yes- everybody loves the Kiehl's #1... Many, many celebs are seen using it all the time. The problem is that it's petroleum based, like Blistex (which my wife LOVES). The Blistex that comes in the little blue jar has a tingly feeling that you probably won't like because it's kind of minty.

The problems with petroleum are that they have a greasy feeling- yes, even the Kiehls- and leave a "Wet Look" that's not so great for guys all the time.

Goose- check out the Jack Black- see if the mint is too strong for ya. It's definately there, but once you put it on, it goes away pretty fast & is fairly subtle.

Here it is as Sephora.

And here it is as Bloomingdales.

During the day I use Blistex Lipbalm in the tube and for the night, before I go to bed, I use the Blistex Lip Conditioner in the tub.

I hate lips when they are like sandpaper and my sweetie love soft lips too:wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Thomas

NYLaw said:
Goose- It's truly a very, very SUBTLE mintiness... And it's not an artificial overpowering MINT- it's from natural mint in the mix.

Anyway, yes, yes- everybody loves the Kiehl's #1... Many, many celebs are seen using it all the time. The problem is that it's petroleum based, like Blistex (which my wife LOVES). The Blistex that comes in the little blue jar has a tingly feeling that you probably won't like because it's kind of minty.

The problems with petroleum are that they have a greasy feeling- yes, even the Kiehls- and leave a "Wet Look" that's not so great for guys all the time.

Goose- check out the Jack Black- see if the mint is too strong for ya. It's definately there, but once you put it on, it goes away pretty fast & is fairly subtle.

Here it is as Sephora.

And here it is as Bloomingdales.

I only notice the 'wet' look right after application and then all of the excess is absorbed into my lips. A little goes a long way... a tube will generally last me a year+ and the last 'tub' that I had lasted more than 3 years.

I use the Blistex creamy stuff. I don't know if it's the "best" but it is better than Chapstick so that's what I use. Don't have a problem with chapped lips much down here anyway so...

Goosemeplease said:
Thanks Sue
Is blistex the creamy one or a waxy stick? is it flavored?

I really want one with no scent at all that is a barrier type.

I buy it at the gas station or the drug store. The one I like comes in a tiny yellow tub and I put my finger in the tub and then wipe on my lips. I like the tub better than the tube cause I never seem to get the right amount out of the tube.

As far as I know there are zero flavorings or menthol in this. It just works Great!!! Best $1.19 bargain in the world as far as I am concerned!

Hugs,

Sue

Mama Bear said:
I buy it at the gas station or the drug store. The one I like comes in a tiny yellow tub and I put my finger in the tub and then wipe on my lips. I like the tub better than the tube cause I never seem to get the right amount out of the tube.

As far as I know there are zero flavorings or menthol in this. It just works Great!!! Best $1.19 bargain in the world as far as I am concerned!

Hugs,

Sue

I am so sorry. It is Carmex I buy, not blistex.. they seem to be about the same tho... I really hate the flavored or mint ones too... I just like them to soften my lips and nothing else.

My wife just heats up some Beeswax and mixes in a little olive oil.

She pours it into used up chapstick dispensers and has been quite happy with it.

No scents/flavors added that way.

-Geoff

I like Aquaphor, by the people who make Cetaphil. It's like Vaseline, but not as greasy. $8 or something for a huge tub that you're never going to finish. I melt it and pour it into empty containers from Scotto's samples.

Ganache for Lips is simultaneously the best functioning and smelling/tasting lip balm I have ever used. Stumbled upon it by accident in a French goods store here (even though, like Nancy Boy, this company is based in San Francisco). I have the Vanilla Mousse flavor, and though it may sound a bit feminine, this stuff is delicious! As an added bonus, most of my favorite fragrances have a major vanilla component, and it just adds to the pleasure of wearing them.

Top Bottom