What's new

Lip Balm request

I was given the AOS lip balm by a friend. WOW:001_tt1: I used to use other products but my lips would stay chapped and I would keep applying the stuff over and over......with the AOS lip balm it actually healed my lips in a couple of days and I found that I did not need to keep re-applying this stuff over and over, in fact I stopped applying it after a week and I did not need to use it again for quite a while. I realize it is expensive, but you really don't go through it like the other lip balms out there...my only complaint would be that it feels like there are little tiny micro-beads in the stuff....but it does heal the lips up pretty fast.

I'll second the Crabtree and Evelyn Lip Balm.

I also would like to make an off the wall suggestion. Lansinoh. I discovered it after one of our kids. It helps provide relief from sore, cracked nipples for women that are breastfeeding and it's safe to put right on and start feeding the baby.

I figured if something was strong enough to help heal a breastfeeding mothers nipples after a few hours of feeding per day, it's good enough for my lips. And it works.....it works GREAT! Plus the bottle is huge for the low price and lasts practically forever. This is not a joke either, it's great stuff.

AACJ said:
I'll second the Crabtree and Evelyn Lip Balm.

I also would like to make an off the wall suggestion. Lansinoh. I discovered it after one of our kids. It helps provide relief from sore, cracked nipples for women that are breastfeeding and it's safe to put right on and start feeding the baby.

I figured if something was strong enough to help heal a breastfeeding mothers nipples after a few hours of feeding per day, it's good enough for my lips. And it works.....it works GREAT! Plus the bottle is huge for the low price and lasts practically forever. This is not a joke either, it's great stuff.

Link?

Randy

My favorite lip balms are the ones from Lush, they're wonderfull, long working balms that smell Gorgeous. I had one for a while then switched to another brand and regretted it eversince....unfortunately I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a new lush one while I still have the other brand lip butter so I'll have to use that one up first.

My wife just heats up some Beeswax and mixes in a little olive oil.

She pours it into used up chapstick dispensers and has been quite happy with it.

No scents/flavors added that way.

-Geoff

I like the Anthony Logistics lip balms as well but the last couple I purchased felt different than the others. Every time I used them I had to look twice to make sure I hadn't grabbed a glue stick by mistake. I thought maybe they had just sat on the store shelf for too long and if I kept using them they might soften up as soon the top layers were worn through...but they never did. After reading your post, I took the sticks out of their dispensers and put them in a cup, melted them in the microwave, mixed it up with a little olive oil, and poured them back into their dispensers. It worked great! I don't know if it was the olive oil or the remelting but it saved me from throwing out two $8 tubes of lip balm!

M

modern man

Carmax :w00t:

I used Burt’s Bees and Chapstick before I went to Iraq. Then I tried Carmax when I was there no problems what so ever.

The one that works for me is Dermatone. I love the smell, and I love how it feels. The ingredients are as follows:

Active Ingredients: Padimate O (8%), Benzophenone-3 (4.0%), Petrolatum (49.1%)
Inactive ingredients: C 18-36 Acid Glycol Ester, C 18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Cocoa Butter, Isopropyl Palmitate (and) Isopropyl Myristate (and) Aloe Barbadensis, Lanolin, Menthol, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Fragrance, Phenol, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin E), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin A)

I'm sure it contains a bunch of stuff that folks here may find questionable. But it's the most effective stuff I've tried (and I've tried many). They do make an "all-natural" version, so that might appeal to those who demand a non-petroleum based recipe.

Pleased to hear it worked for you!

I would expect the olive oil made a difference. Melting/hardening the wax shouldn't dramatically change the texture without an addition.

I like the Anthonys Logic lip balms as well but the last couple I purchased felt different than the others. Every time I used them I had to look twice to make sure I hadn't grabbed a glue stick by mistake. I thought maybe they had just sat on the store shelf for too long and if I kept using them they might soften up as soon the top layers were worn through...but they never did. After reading your post, I took the sticks out of their dispensers and put them in a cup, melted them in the microwave, mixed it up with a little olive oil, and poured them back into their dispensers. It worked great! I don't know if it was the olive oil or the remelting but it saved me from throwing out two $8 tubes of lip balm!

Jim,
I have been adding complimentary SCS lip balm in orders this past week. These will accompany my new dry skin product. PM me if you would like a trial of it. I will add that it has a very mild mint flavor which you do not like in addition to the naturally occuring cocoa from the cocoa butter.

Kyle has found a tasty balm; you will not find mine tasty. I have deliberately left it unsweetened. The better a lip balm tastes the more a person tends to lick their lips which continues the chapped lips cycle.

Use a good balm in the morning, after meals or drinks and at night. Don't lick your lips and the chapping should be markedly better if not gone in 48 hours or less.
Sue
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Vitamin E (tocopherol), light mint flavor, no artificial color or sweetener.

Who dug this old post up?

Jim,
I have been adding complimentary SCS lip balm in orders this past week. These will accompany my new dry skin product. PM me if you would like a trial of it. I will add that it has a very mild mint flavor which you do not like in addition to the naturally occuring cocoa from the cocoa butter.

Kyle has found a tasty balm; you will not find mine tasty. I have deliberately left it unsweetened. The better a lip balm tastes the more a person tends to lick their lips which continues the chapped lips cycle.

Use a good balm in the morning, after meals or drinks and at night. Don't lick your lips and the chapping should be markedly better if not gone in 48 hours or less.
Sue
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Vitamin E (tocopherol), light mint flavor, no artificial color or sweetener.

That is very kind Sue, thanks for thing of me, I have been using This and the Unscented chapstick while afield.

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who does not like mint et al ....everything is loaded with it.

I tend to have bad luck with lip balm, either the tube's advance wheel slowly ratchets itself to the all the way up position in my pocket (so that removing the cap tears the balm in half and makes a giant mess, or I launder/loose the tube.

That said, I've tried nearly every commonly availible lip balm, and I tend to like the lower petroleum formulations like burt's bees, AVEDA, Blistex Herbal Answer, Chapstick Moisturizer/All Natural etc. The original formula chapsticks are darn near unworkable in the cold, and even warm, they're quite candle like.

This, more than any other area of male grooming appears to be a significant issue to women, in that you'd better make sure that whoever you're kissing likes your choice in lip balm. I've had two different women steal and throw away lip balms that they disliked, so be warned.

This, more than any other area of male grooming appears to be a significant issue to women, in that you'd better make sure that whoever you're kissing likes your choice in lip balm. I've had two different women steal and throw away lip balms that they disliked, so be warned.

I've found vanilla to be a wonderful compromise in this area. I'm quite enamored with vanilla, and most of my favorite fragrances contain the note, but have also found that women love it too. Mint can be very overpowering at times, particularly when it's like the mint in Burt's Bees and actually tingles, whereas vanilla is much less extreme.

Top Bottom