What's new

Rinse between passes?

Normally, I lather up, make a pass, relather, pass, yadda yadda. I don't bother rinsing in between.

Does anyone rinse between passes? Is it a good idea?

endcycle

I do. I figure the more warm water the better, but I don't really know whether it makes a difference. It sure feels nice, though!

Best Regards

Graham

I wonder because I worry about drying my face off by essentially washing it 3+ times with the cream.... though I guess if you shave, it comes off anyway.... hm.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sometimes. It really depends on how I feel, what my lather is like, humidity, etc. It's sort of instinctive for me.

I rinse in between passes. I use the rinse to not only add some hydration, but to feel the skin and determine which areas need more work to get the degree of smoothness I want.

I almost posted this exact question about a week ago...

I re-read the sticky post on the shaving tutorial, and it specifically says in there to rinse between passes. It doesn't really elaborate much on why, though I suspect the idea is that the minute amount of water remaining on your face from the rinse will help replenish the minute amount of water that evaporated out of your lather while you were making a pass. Since the amounts I'm assuming are so trivial, I would imagine there's not much of a difference whether you rinse in between the passes or not.

The other idea I came up with was that the blade might skip over any hairs that were cut but then left on the face, and rinsing would clear them out giving you a face ready to be shorn again. However, this also might just be me thinking too much into it.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on what would make rinsing better than not rinsing? In the meantime, I keep rinsing just because it helps me pace myself and keep from rushing the shave by having to pause shortly in between my passes.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Does anyone have a definitive answer on what would make rinsing better than not rinsing? In the meantime, I keep rinsing just because it helps me pace myself and keep from rushing the shave by having to pause shortly in between my passes.

I don't think there are any definitive answers on this one. Whatever works for you and makes you feel most comfortable I guess could be definitive.

I don't think there are any definitive answers on this one. Whatever works for you and makes you feel most comfortable I guess could be definitive.

That's not good enough!!!

(kidding)
of course this is totally a ymmv I'm sure, but I was hoping there was a proven reason or method here.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try rinsing one side and not the other.

I rinse in between passes. I use the rinse to not only add some hydration, but to feel the skin and determine which areas need more work to get the degree of smoothness I want.

I agree and do something similar, which is to do three passes, then rinse and feel around to see where I need touch-up.

I rinse when after the first pass, I feel that lather was not wet enough. OTOH: If I rinse- my next face full of lather gets too soupy and falls off my face (maybe I just suck at making lather)

I always rinse (but never dry) before reapplying lather. It helps keep everything warm and wet. I started doing it because I was sick of seeing little pieces of stubble all over my soap. Then again, I am a little OCD....

I subscribe to the rinse betwixt passes school. This enables me to get rid of unwanted used lather, to warm my cooled face (one pass takes sufficient time such that my face, hot from the shower, has cooled to just above normal temperature) and to see what the pass has done.

Yes, I wrote that so that I wouldnlt just write +1 to Bobtrumpet's reply. So there. Now eat some chocolate. :confused:

Top Bottom