What's new

My razor is getting dull spots. What can I do?

I have been thoroughly cleaning my razor after each use but I am getting dulls spots on the blade anyway. What can I do to fix these and to prevent this in the future. It stinks since I just bought this a little while agao. I am using camellia oil now in the hopes that no more will appear.

Thanks

Do you mean you are cleaning the blade after each use? If so, I have seen recommendations against this as there is a thin coat of something-or-other on the blade to protect it and help it retain it's edge. If you're cleaning the blade it may wipe this away and allow it to dull faster and possible unevenly. Again, I'm not 100% on this but hopefully someone else will chime in.

I am not cleaning it with anything. I am just wiping it off with my towel. It looks like on the back side there is a spot like the lather left a mark. It is weird. These spots are not as shiny as my blade was originally.

Oh...misunderstanding on my part. Then I can be of no help whatsoever. I should have realized this was in the straight razor forum. Sorry!

I also have a newish 6/8 Dovo tortoise (which I LOVE--it's definitely the best shaver of my three straights). I noticed a bit of a mark the other day. Luckily it wiped off. I think I know what happens, though. You dry the blade after using it and then you close the razor. However, there are drops of water between the scales that can drip onto the blade and leave a little stain. To prevent this I blow through my scales (with the blade edge aimed away from my face!). Or you could use a little Kleenex or something, but the main thing (I think) is to get the scales dry (in a safe way). If you don't have kids around (I do), you could leave the blade open while it dries. I can't: I need to pack it up and tuck it away on the top of the medicine cabinet where the kids can't reach (yet).

I have seen the problem on some of my razors too. Take a little metal polish (Maas or Flitz work well) and clean up the areas in question or the whole blade if you like. Take it very easy around gold wash areas.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot.... Take a blow dryer and blow out the water in the pivot area and scales. Just don't get it too hot on plastic scales.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I rinse mine well with hot water, dry it off with a towel, blow the water between the scales out, and then strop about 5 or 10 laps on smooth leather to get the edge good and dry. I have found that the creams are more likely to stain the blades than the tallow-based soaps.

That is exactly what happened I think. I used a shaving gel and all of a sudden I have some staining just where the gel was from me shaving. Is there any way to get rid of the stains that you guys know of. I really hate to learn the hard way.:frown:

Ya, it is my dovo special so I would not want to remove the "special" marking. Some of the staining looks almost blue in color. Weird.

Thanks. At least I did not trash my razor. Phew.

I coat my carbon blades with Tuf-glide when I get them, let it dry, and wipe down the blade with a piece of soft cotton. I also put a drop on the pivot pin.

After shaving and rinsing the blade, I dry the blade with a tissue, and also run a tissue between the scales to remove any moisture.

I have no marks or spots on any of my razors, including 2 Dovo Specials (5/8 and 6/8), so this program seems to work.

I would like to offer the following thoughts:

1) When shaving with a straight razor it is never necessary to get the scales of the straight razor wet or covered with foam.

2) You mention a shaving gel. There might be something in the gel formula that is more or less harmless to stainless steel, disposables and the "tossable" DE blades , but could have a staining effect on the steel of your straight razor. I guess one would never look for this, much less notice it on a disposable blade.

I found out the hard way with my gel but if I can fix it there is no problem. It is just scary to see your new razor get all spotty on you when you are trying to dry it the best you can.Stupid gel.:cursing:

On another note I try to never get my scales wet. The blade may slip out of my hand and that can be dangerous.I did get my best shave so far last night though. So there is a good side to things.:biggrin:

Top Bottom