What's new

Shaving Soap Lathering Question

Hi,

I just purchased the Classic "Contemporary" Covered Shaving Bowl from classicshaving.com. This is the first time I am attempting to use a shave soap, versus shaving cream. Would I lather up the brush right in this bowl, or would I need to use another bowl to build the lather in as seen in some of the tutorials in this forum?

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Preferences vary. Some build in the soap bowl, some in a different bowl, some do it on the face. Personally, I lather in a different bowl because I then have a ready-to-shave supply of lather and do not have to waste time creating some more. I can also control the quality of the lather much better this way. But, as I said, preferences vary, and for every voice in support of a bowl, you'll get one in support of building directly on the face or elsewhere.

However, whatever your technique, your main priority is to dissolve and load your brush with a mix which is as concentrated as you can manage before you continue building. Don't scrape the soap---your brush will never forgive you if you do---and don't ram the brush into the soap as well. Water and fairly quick swirling motions without pressing down too hard with an occasional 'slurpy' pumping up and down (you'll understand this as you go along) are what you want. Enjoy!

Zebe,

soak your brush, then give it a good squeeze and a shake. Load up the brush by swirling on the puck (no need to pre-wet) for about ten seconds.

Lather directly onto your face, adding a little water as the lather builds by dab the tip of your brush into warm water.

I also recommend to scrape off the excess later into a small bowl as you do this, and use the slightly de-hyrdrated "proto-lather" to build your next lather passes.

Are you planning on starting with a classicshaving brand soap that came with your bowl ?? If so I'd recommend stashing that soap until you've got more experience with soaps. Pick up something like Van der Hagen from Rite Aid, or Conk.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hi,

I just purchased the Classic "Contemporary" Covered Shaving Bowl from classicshaving.com. This is the first time I am attempting to use a shave soap, versus shaving cream. Would I lather up the brush right in this bowl, or would I need to use another bowl to build the lather in as seen in some of the tutorials in this forum?

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

The tutorial is a great place to start. The next thing to do is just play around with it until you find what you like best. I prefer to whip up my lather right on the soap in a soup mug with a handle that I can get my thumb in and out of easily.

Welcome to B&B

I got the same bowl, what I do depends on what soap is in it at the time, a cheaper soap like Col Conk, Van derhagen or one of Classic Shavings soaps I just lather right on top of the soap as those soaps are relatively cheap and some lather better that way, If I have a better grade soap in it like TOBS sandalwood then I just load up the brush in it and either mix up the lather in a bowl or sometimes face lather, by the way the lids can be very slippery and break very easily :redface:

Top Bottom