What's new

Modern Injector Blades Lacking?

Is it just me, or are the currently produced injector blades not as sharp as most of the better DE blades? I've been shaving for the past two weeks with a late 40s Schick injector and either German Schick or CVS blades. The razor itself seems a little on the aggressive side (I'm used to a 40s SS) and does well overall, but barely cuts the coarse hairs in my mustache area. I thought maybe it was my blade angle, but I've tried everything from keeping the head flat against my skin to a very steep angle and everything in between. The hairs just feel like they are being pulled before they are poorly cut. I started out with the German Schick blades and then tried blades from CVS, which I believe are the same as Personnas. They seem about the same to me in terms of sharpness. I don't know if it's true, but I read that Ted Pella's and EMS are the same as Personnas too. I really like that little Schick, but I'd like a comfortable shave out of it. I've read about shortening a Feather AC blade for use in an injector and am considering it, but that seems like a bit of a hassle. Has anyone else had this experience?

-Clarke

S

stubbleaway

Are the non stainless ones sharper or will they have gone rusty? I have just got a stainless pal adjustable and it was brand new. I mean I took the seals off to open the box. I have tried the German Shicks and the Ted Pella (which you can get in UK from Agar) and I wasnt impressed with the sharpness but the Pal stainless steel blades that came with this unopened razor are great. It reminded my the first time I tried a feather in a DE. A big difference! I might check out some non stainless new old stock if they are likely to be sharp but am worried about them being rusty.

CVS injector blades are crap IMHO. YMMV though!!! Probably made by Personna as are most store brands.

German Schicks are ok. They seem a little rough on the first shave but seem to smooth out on subsequent shaves.

OS Schicks made in the US are darn good too (if you can find them).

No experience yet with a chopped down Feather but I will when I use up my current stash.

I agree - I have a stash of NOS blades and they are by far my favourite.

The Pellas (which some say are Personnas) are my next favourite - the first shave is a little harsh, but the subsequent shaves are very good. They're also good value at about $5 for 20 blades.

Are the non stainless ones sharper or will they have gone rusty? I have just got a stainless pal adjustable and it was brand new. I mean I took the seals off to open the box. I have tried the German Shicks and the Ted Pella (which you can get in UK from Agar) and I wasnt impressed with the sharpness but the Pal stainless steel blades that came with this unopened razor are great. It reminded my the first time I tried a feather in a DE. A big difference! I might check out some non stainless new old stock if they are likely to be sharp but am worried about them being rusty.

They will rust of course, but not for awhile, especially if you wipe them dry after the shave and keep them away from water till the next use. The do not have the smooth feeling of a teflon or polymer coted blade, but they are very very sharp.
The old PAL blades are simply terrible, but their 1960's stainless are decent actually.

S

stubbleaway

anyone tried cutting down a DE blade to fit in an injector I reckon with a pair of tin snips it might just work. I might give it a whirl!

S

stubbleaway

dont try that. You can very easily with a pair of strong kitchen scissors cut the DE blade so its the same size as an injector but its too thin and warped in the injector and I didnt bother getting it towards my face. The thickess of the injector blade kind of supports it self.

I had my first Injector shave today and I might not ever use a DE again. It was an L type w/ Idk what kind of blade:lol: It was awesome.

Ditto the Pella plug. They have been head and shoulders above any injectors that I can find in local drug and grocery stores.:smile:

I can get American NOS on the drug store shelves here. Nyah Nyah Nyah! :tongue_sm

Now, If I could just get a good razor to try them in...My Pal adjustable is kinda iffy...

Originally Posted by scottydoint
I had my first Injector shave today and I might not ever use a DE again. It was an L type w/ Idk what kind of blade It was awesome

I second that as well! Just used an Injector for the first time that I
picked up from another board member (Thanx Rodd! ) and paired it
with a Chinese Made Schick blade that I picked up from a local Wegman's Market and it mowed down my 4+ days of growth very smoothly....
no cuts, weepers, or irritation...... I think I'm hooked now!

:tongue_sm :tongue_sm :tongue_sm

SaullyG

Top Bottom