Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Injector Blades Lacking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Default Modern Injector Blades Lacking?

Is it just me, or are the currently produced injector blades not as sharp as most of the better DE blades? I've been shaving for the past two weeks with a late 40s Schick injector and either German Schick or CVS blades. The razor itself seems a little on the aggressive side (I'm used to a 40s SS) and does well overall, but barely cuts the coarse hairs in my mustache area. I thought maybe it was my blade angle, but I've tried everything from keeping the head flat against my skin to a very steep angle and everything in between. The hairs just feel like they are being pulled before they are poorly cut. I started out with the German Schick blades and then tried blades from CVS, which I believe are the same as Personnas. They seem about the same to me in terms of sharpness. I don't know if it's true, but I read that Ted Pella's and EMS are the same as Personnas too. I really like that little Schick, but I'd like a comfortable shave out of it. I've read about shortening a Feather AC blade for use in an injector and am considering it, but that seems like a bit of a hassle. Has anyone else had this experience?

-Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do fine with the modern injector blades, but IMO the last types they made before the stainless steel ones were sharper:

stubbleaway

Are the non stainless ones sharper or will they have gone rusty? I have just got a stainless pal adjustable and it was brand new. I mean I took the seals off to open the box. I have tried the German Shicks and the Ted Pella (which you can get in UK from Agar) and I wasnt impressed with the sharpness but the Pal stainless steel blades that came with this unopened razor are great. It reminded my the first time I tried a feather in a DE. A big difference! I might check out some non stainless new old stock if they are likely to be sharp but am worried about them being rusty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

CVS injector blades are crap IMHO. YMMV though!!! Probably made by Personna as are most store brands.

German Schicks are ok. They seem a little rough on the first shave but seem to smooth out on subsequent shaves.

OS Schicks made in the US are darn good too (if you can find them).

No experience yet with a chopped down Feather but I will when I use up my current stash.
    Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get some pellas they are pretty dang sharp.

I like them a ton over the personna ones.

I agree - I have a stash of NOS blades and they are by far my favourite.

The Pellas (which some say are Personnas) are my next favourite - the first shave is a little harsh, but the subsequent shaves are very good. They're also good value at about $5 for 20 blades.
    Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stubbleaway View Post
    Are the non stainless ones sharper or will they have gone rusty? I have just got a stainless pal adjustable and it was brand new. I mean I took the seals off to open the box. I have tried the German Shicks and the Ted Pella (which you can get in UK from Agar) and I wasnt impressed with the sharpness but the Pal stainless steel blades that came with this unopened razor are great. It reminded my the first time I tried a feather in a DE. A big difference! I might check out some non stainless new old stock if they are likely to be sharp but am worried about them being rusty.
    They will rust of course, but not for awhile, especially if you wipe them dry after the shave and keep them away from water till the next use. The do not have the smooth feeling of a teflon or polymer coted blade, but they are very very sharp.
    The old PAL blades are simply terrible, but their 1960's stainless are decent actually.

stubbleaway

anyone tried cutting down a DE blade to fit in an injector I reckon with a pair of tin snips it might just work. I might give it a whirl!
    Last edited by stubbleaway; 07-15-2008 at 01:13 PM.

stubbleaway

dont try that. You can very easily with a pair of strong kitchen scissors cut the DE blade so its the same size as an injector but its too thin and warped in the injector and I didnt bother getting it towards my face. The thickess of the injector blade kind of supports it self.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Images

Pellapellapellapellapella.
    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Quote Originally Posted by stubbleaway View Post
    anyone tried cutting down a DE blade to fit in an injector I reckon with a pair of tin snips it might just work. I might give it a whirl!

Won't work - full stop.

Wrong shape, too thin, etc...
    Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't that exactly what people did for the "Featherjector" thing with much success?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jopo View Post
    Wasn't that exactly what people did for the "Featherjector" thing with much success?
    They don't use Feather DE blades, but Feather straight razor replacement blades (straight razors with disposable blades):
    http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...646/796569.htm

Those are very similar in thickness and size, except for being too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried Feather "Prebeau" Blades today with my I1 injector and got excellent results from two passes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had my first Injector shave today and I might not ever use a DE again. It was an L type w/ Idk what kind of blade It was awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is the link to "Prebeau" Blades:

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...646/796521.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ditto the Pella plug. They have been head and shoulders above any injectors that I can find in local drug and grocery stores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

So I take it you like it huh Scotty?
    I think those were the New Chinese made Schick blades I sent you to try

Quote Originally Posted by scottydoint View Post
    I had my first Injector shave today and I might not ever use a DE again. It was an L type w/ Idk what kind of blade It was awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can get American NOS on the drug store shelves here. Nyah Nyah Nyah!

Now, If I could just get a good razor to try them in...My Pal adjustable is kinda iffy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by scottydoint
    I had my first Injector shave today and I might not ever use a DE again. It was an L type w/ Idk what kind of blade It was awesome
    I second that as well! Just used an Injector for the first time that I
    picked up from another board member (Thanx Rodd! ) and paired it
    with a Chinese Made Schick blade that I picked up from a local Wegman's Market and it mowed down my 4+ days of growth very smoothly....
    no cuts, weepers, or irritation...... I think I'm hooked now!

SaullyG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast