What's new

Another use for a waterpik - the ears

Cleaning your ears - this comes from an ENT doctor. Qtips are a no-no.
They tend to pack things down. Use at the lowest level at first. Might have to use an extension cord - go over to the bathtub and the ear you are cleaning should be pointed down towards the tub. It works.

I'm suprised an ENT would suggest that. The manual that came with mine warns against using it in your ears.

"Do not direct water under the tongue, into the ear, nose or other delicate areas." pg. 4 Waterpik Ultra WP-100W

Perhaps use extreme caution??

Yes, you are right - be careful.

Like I said use it at the lowest level of pressure - then do not point it directly at the ear drum but more to the side - this caused the water to get behind the wax build-up and wash it out. I was a victim of the Qtip and had a problem.
The waterpik worked well.

Did it get wax out? Last time I had my ears cleaned at the Dr's office, they used a giant syringe and just sprayed water in there. So the waterpik does make sense..... An ENT really recommended this?

I'm particularly curious as I have major wax issues. Somehow my ear tubes are shaped in a way that doesn't evacuate wax; as a result, I need to get my ears professionally cleaned once a year. I'd much rather get a waterpik, though.....

you could get one of those little ear canal scraper/scoops. this is preferred to Q-tips (though i am guilty of using Q-tips)

classic shaving has them under "grooming needs"

Thanks for the advice, edk442. I'll check it out. It appears this is the same tool my audiologist uses.

I'd be afraid of too much pressure. I use one of those squeeze bulb syringes that come with a standard ear-wax removal kit.

I also suffer from too much wax build-up. I've never had my ears cleaned professionally, but I do a fairly good job of it myself with those kits about once a month. Sometimes, I substitute Hydrogen Peroxide for the stuff in the kit.

If that wasn't bad enough, I've also got Tinitus in my left ear. Has anyone tried Lipoflavinoid or any similar products?

I'm pretty reluctant to give up my q-tips. They scratch an itch in there and, well, I'm a bit ashamed to say how good it feels.... :blush:

I'd be afraid of too much pressure. I use one of those squeeze bulb syringes that come with a standard ear-wax removal kit.

I also suffer from too much wax build-up. I've never had my ears cleaned professionally, but I do a fairly good job of it myself with those kits about once a month. Sometimes, I substitute Hydrogen Peroxide for the stuff in the kit.

If that wasn't bad enough, I've also got Tinitus in my left ear. Has anyone tried Lipoflavinoid or any similar products?

dpm802: I had tinnitus about 10 years ago. It turns out it was just wax build-up too close to the eardrum. The wax can push on your eardrum, causing you to hear a high pitched sound. There are other causes of tinnitus, but since you say you have a lot of wax, maybe it's causing the tinnitus.

I also have a lot of earwax build-up. I've had to get my ears flushed out in the past, however in the recent year or so I've been managing by rinsing the ears out well in the shower, and then carefully using q-tips. I pull the cotton out a bit so that only cotton goes in the ear. That way you won't compact the wax too much. If I shower at night, I don't rinse my ears out because the softened wax will flow down in the ear that is pointing up (I usually sleep on my side).

Also, something I found out by accident: disposable foam earplugs work great to remove earwax. Since they are pretty cheap, I've been thinking of buying some just for this purpose. If you follow the instructions on how to put them in your ears (roll them in you fingers, put them in your ears, and hold them in as the expand). Then gently twist and pull them out, there is lots of earwax stuck to them. I've only tried this with dry ears because I think after a shower the wax might be too soft and it would get pushed in too much (don't know for sure though).

I have a lot of wax buildup and I have tried everything, but it doesn't seem to shift. The only way for me is to go to the doctors and get mine cleaned periodically. If this works and is reccomended by a doctor then I may just have to try it.

I can recommend that you NOT try ear candling (shoving a flammable hollow tube in your ear and igniting it). I almost caught my head on fire that way, only to find that it wouldn't have worked even if I had done it right, according to the conventional medical wisdom.

Having worked as an ER nurse for 16 years, I have cleaned countless ears of cerumen (fancy term for ear wax). We used to use a water pick with great success, and minimal trauma. We really only gave it up because it was messy, and cost more than a syringe with a soft disposable tip. We did have one of our local ENTs suggest we stop using hydrogen peroxide. He felt it caused a chemical irritation, and that the mechanical action of the warm water with a syringe, was just as effective. It is imperative that any cleaning be done after a proper exam to ensure an intact ear drum, and no other problems. I worked with a guy who always said he was gonna open a kiosk in a mall cleaning ears, since it was such a needed service, and the folks who needed it felt so much better afterwards.

My ear canal just gets REALLY itchy when it builds up. I've had water caught under the wax before causing lots of hydraulic pressure on the drum (HURT LIKE NUTS and enough for me to stick a pair of tweezers (pointy jewelers) to yank some of it out)

Top Bottom