What's new

Vacationing in Japan

This thread is for people who may have vacationed in Japan, or for residents and expatriates currently residing in Japan.

My in-laws, my wife, and I are considering taking a trip to Japan next year in early June when summer vacation hits here in the States. My wife, mother-in-law, nor myself have ever been to Japan. My father-in-law went during his tour of Vietnam for a ten day leave period. However, he stayed in a base not far from Tokyo.

Now here is the rub: I want to go to Japan with as little tour guiding as possible. I absolutely cannot stand tour guides. Going to Italy and Greece with my wife on a tour took the taco with me and I felt rushed. I also felt that I was spoon fed information (a lot of it wrong, too). However, I also want to make this vacation as memorable and as affordable as possible.

Over Tex-Mex tonight, my in-laws and wife made a list of cities they might like to go to. I'd really like to see Nara and Kyoto. The lot of them want to see both Osaka and Tokyo.

Should I just bite the bullet and purchase a tour package knowing I'll probably get the best price? Or is it relatively safe and comfortable to go sight seeing on your own in Japan? (I apologize if the latter statement sounds offensive to those living in Japan. Stupid gaijin here). How difficult is it to find reasonable transportation and hotel accommodations on your own? Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My wanderings in Japan have been limited thus far to Tokyo, but I found that basic knowledge of the various train systems was suffucient to make me feel comfortable. There were plenty of signs with English/English-ish subtitles, and no shortage of friendly folks who were happy to practice their English with us.

Of course, some of that will change the more rural you get (though I'd think offhand that the cities you've mentioned should be fine). There should be plenty of guidance in books and online to help you identify English-speaking hotels wherever you go. Kudos to you for taking the less-touristy road. It's our favorite way to travel, as well.

I lived in Okinawa twenty years ago so I can only answer in a very general way, but here goes:

First, Japan is a LOT safer than any western country. Nothing to worry about there.

Second, Japanese students study English but have difficulty speaking it. If you write what you want you may have more success than through speaking.

Third, about getting around and accomodations, I'd get a Lonely Planet guidebook and see what they say about it. Also, I'd very definitely get a guidebook that talks a lot about cultural etiquette and some basic phrases. I learned those things before I went and was very glad that I did.

Fourth, you may want to visit Sendai or up towards Hokkaido. Also, for the physically fit, you can hike/walk up Mt. Fuji and get a Fuji stick as a rememberance of your success. It's a relatively easy walk, so check into it if you're interested.

Lastly, take LOTS of money. You'll need it !!! :w00t:

Hope this helps.

I highly recommend Nara. I've only been to Nara city once, but I've been throughout the Nara prefecture several times. My friend used to live in a small village called Totsukawa, which, according to him, was well-known as being one of the most rural areas in all of Japan. It was certainly beautiful down there. Nara city itself was very nice, and I especially enjoyed the park with the magical deer. However, be sure to watch your step! The deer poo is everywhere. Also, if you do go to Nara and decide to feed the deer be careful. Over the years the deer have been taught to bow in order to receive food and I saw one woman sitting on a park bench nearly get her eyes taken out by the antlers.

I've also been to Osaka several times as part of those trips to Nara. I've had a great time each and every time. The America Maru is a good place to see, and just across the street from this is a large arcade called Shinsaibashi. I may be wrong on this however as my last trip to Osaka was several years ago. If I can remember more I'll edit this post.

EDIT 1: If you're into it, and I know lots of western men aren't, there are some great onsens in Nara. I went to one that was outdoors (with a high fence) and used mineral water coming straight out of the surrounding mountains. My friend and I were the only people there and I've never had a more relaxing bath than sitting in a steaming tub looking out into the mountains. The onsen I went to in Osaka was very crowded and was rather cookie cutter. Personally, I think a visit to the sauna is a mandatory experience when visiting Japan.

Dang, where do I start.... I have been living in Osaka for 10 years now and have been to both Nara and Kyoto innumerable times and highly recommend them both. First off, you definitely don't need a tour guide if you're at all mobile and willing to find things for yourself. Osaka isn't the prettiest place around but it's a great base from which to branch out into the Kansai area (Kobe 25 minutes, Nara 45 minutes, Kyoto 40 minutes). Transportation is reasonably-priced and dead-on accurate as far as times go, and all stations now have signage in both English and Japanese. If you are planning to stay a few weeks and want to really branch out, perhaps to Hiroshima or Tokyo, the JR Rail pass is the way to go. It offers unlimited travel on the Shinkansen (bullet train) and is actually only available to tourists outside of Japan. It all depends on how much traveling you want to do though.

As I said, there is just so much to see and do that I can't even begin to get into it here on this forum but feel free to give me a mail if you have any specific questions. I work in education and have guided literally hundreds of principals from both Canada and NZ around Kyoto and Osaka so I can definitely tell you what's worth seeing and what you might want to miss. :biggrin:

What a coincidence. I have similar questions: I'll be attending a conference in Osaka at the and of August. Afterwards, I was planning on moving over to Kyoto for a few days (my girlfriend will join up with me there) and then to some nice mountain area, say, near Nagano, for another two or three days, before heading back to the US from Tokyo. I would appreciate recommendations for good, alpine-style hiking in that area. It should be easily accessible by train. Ideally, we would like to stay in an idyllic ryokan.

Perhaps we can have a small B&B meeting in Osaka :smile:

Best - MM

The father in law is headed to Japan in July, what should I ask him to bring me back?

I like :
CF lavender
Nivia Energy
SE razors
Sextoblades
Pure brushes
Kenneth Cole Reaction
Citrus soaps
Palmolive classic shave sticks

Any ideas?

I've personally never seen any of those things in Japan.

The only shaving soap I've found here was this powdered stuff you add water to. I used it once, butchered myself!
Never seen SE blades here, only DE blades (Feathers) and Injector blades available widely.

That said, there are many excellent aftershaves. There's a thread somewhere in the aftershaves forum "in praise of Japanese aftershaves" which will tell you more, but for some reason I can't find the thread with the search function. Off the top of my head there's Lucido, Mandom, MG5 to name but a few, but I'm pretty sure they're all available online anyway

Sadly, it's VERY slim pickings. As Bluebriz said, even in Tokyo you will have serious problems finding anything other than aftershave here. Feather razors are also more expensive here than ordering from online. The only thing I bought in Japan and use everyday is Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. All my brushes, soaps, blades, DE razors, shave sticks, balms and tonics are imported from the UK, USA, and Turkey. Even my Japan made Feather blades were imported from UK, because for some strange reason, they are cheaper by about 10%!

Oh- one exception, Japan has Portugal 4711 products with a different formulation and scent from the European market version. If you like citrus, I'd recommend their stuff.

You have gotten some very good advice. About the only thing I can add is encouragement to have confidence on your self-guided tour. It has been some years, but I used to go to Japan on business frequently, but I wasn’t busy every day, so there was lots of room for side trips with my trusty maps and guidebooks.

While, as someone has pointed out, many/most Japanese study English but lack confidence in their spoken English. Nonetheless, I have found that if you arrive somewhere (usually by train) walk out to the street and open a map, within 30 seconds someone will approach you and in perfect English ask if they can be of assistance. This is in part cultural, and in part because Japanese companies rotate their executives through the US for about two years, and they have confidence in their excellent English, and it is part of the culture to be helpful in such a way. This absolutely works in urban areas, and works pretty well in the common tourist destinations. I honestly haven’t tried it way off the beaten path, but I don’t think you’re going to get there.

My suggestion is get all the guidebooks known to man from the library, settle on two that you’re comfortable with, purchase them and go for it. One piece of advice that you haven’t already gotten is to take a compass with you (maybe one for each member of your party). That’s because while maps are in the guide books, street signs are often not present, so it helps to have the compass to orient yourself, even though the locals will be helpful.

Also, keep in mind that in homes, some temples, some offices people remove their shoes, so to avoid being embarrassed by your wardrobe, make sure your socks are not threadbare.

It used to be that there was an economic advantage to getting a rail pass, which you was only possible from outside the country. I don’t know if this is still true, and surely the guidebooks will discuss it.

[FONT=&quot]I think you’ll have a great trip. I got a lot out of my trips to Japan. I’m jealous.[/FONT]

Aftershaves and Feather blades. There are a ton of excellent Japanese aftershaves listed in the wiki and in old threads. You can also get a serviceable Feather TTO razor in metal and black plastic with its own case for about $!0 to $15. Department stores in major cities have very comprehensive selections of men's grooming stuff too, so you can get a wide variety of fragrances that you might not be able to find in a small town in the US. 4711's Portugal is a good tip. Also, since Japan is kind of the home of Commes des Garcons, you can always find an interesting bunch of CdG frags in their ateliers. Finally, you might want to have him check Duty Free for you too.

Thanks guys! I only provided the list so you would have an idea of the types of things I like. I guess I should have been more clear. Luc, I will have to check out those pages.

I am kind of on an AS kick right now so this may work out well!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks guys! I only provided the list so you would have an idea of the types of things I like. I guess I should have been more clear. Luc, I will have to check out those pages.

I am kind of on an AS kick right now so this may work out well!

I seriously recommend the Japanese AS. Specially Mandom, MG5, Bravas, Vintage, Lucido. I would stay away from Lucido (smells like my grand-ma)!

.......perhaps pick up a natural stone or two...... they have to be better priced than what you see online.......

...although not shaving items, buy some HIGONOKAMI knives (brass handles)......

......they are very inexpensive and very utilitarian....... don't forget to pack them in your check-in luggage though......

Top Bottom