What's new

Pre shave/Post shave oils/creams

I just started wet shaving and wondered what you guys thought would be a good pre and post shave cream,gel or oil. OH!!! almost forgot whats a good starter blade

Thanks

Welcome to B&B.
Good starter blades are Derby's, Crystals, or IP's. I am still experimenting with preshaves, but Proraso Pre/post seems to be pretty popular. I like the proraso aftershave balm and Thayers witch hazel toner for after shave.

check out the reviews section.

before Smoke posts... Proraso Pre/Post!

I've tried Art of Shaving pre shave oil... its there... I helps a bit, but kinda makes the brush sticky...

Right now I'm using Art of Shaving aftershave balm. Yes, I said aftershave balm. I tried their oil, but it was too thick and gunked everything up. I also thought their aftershave balm was too thick and oily for an aftershave, but it turns out it works really well as a pre-shave. I rub it into a wet face after showering and this seems to soften the whiskers pretty well, and prevent too much dehydration from the shaving soap/cream.

I like the Proraso Pre/Post alot particularly during the warmer weather. When I don't want the additional heavy duty cooling I reach for the Crema 3P, which also has a more agreeable almond like scent.

Proraso Pre Shave 90% of the time and when I'm in a Nancy Boy mood :em2300: I'll reach for their Pre-Shave Oil for the other 10%!

Governor11201, the proraso pre/post is it the same product or a separate pre then post

The Proraso Pre/Post is one product marketed as both a pre-shave skin/beard conditioiner as well as a post shave balm.

It has a consistency very close to Noxema cream, with the signature Proraso Green menthol wallop.

I find myself using it more often as a pre-shave, particularly on mornings when I've had to rush my beard prep. I find in this regard it offers a tad more protection than going without. That said, on days when I have time to do my usual beard prep, I don't think it adds anything additional to the experience.

Post-Shave I find the product as too heavy for normal use, and only hall it out on days when I've managed to savage my face (which has become mercifully infrequent these days). If it didn't have the cooling menthol I might be inclined to recommend it for harsher winter days - but I'd then tell you there is better stuff on the market.

Still, at ten bucks this a worthwhile addition to your personal shave den for those niche occasions noted above.

I second the Proraso cream as a preshave. For the aftershave balms, I've enjoyed Musgo Real balm and the Trumper "skin food" samples I got.

Top Bottom