What's new

The Stuff Before Novocaine at the Dentist

I've been looking online, but it's kind of one of those things you can't really figure out what to google for to find it. What's the stuff they swab on your cheek or gums before they inject you? I figgered I might as well ask on here; surely someone here has a clue.

Thanks!

I tried to copy and paste from http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSS/r.WSIHW000/st.32558/t.32565/pr.3.html

It didn't turn out pretty, though. I'm thinking lidocaine

Here are some common topical anesthetics.
. Lidocaine

Lidocaine comes in an ointment and as an anesthetic patch. It commonly is used to reduce pain during an injection. Viscous lidocaine (a thick liquid) can be used to relieve pain from dry socket (alveolar osteitis), a complication of tooth extraction.

After lidocaine is applied, it takes about 3 minutes for the area to become numb, and the numbness lasts about 15 minutes. Anesthetic preparations containing lidocaine are approved for in-office use only when used directly in the mouth. Over-the-counter products that contain lidocaine, such as ointments to treat cold sores, should not be used in the mouth.
. The Patch

Anesthesia Patch
Anesthetic patch in use
In 1996, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved an anesthetic patch for use in dentistry. The patch is a small adhesive strip that contains lidocaine and is placed in the mouth for up to 15 minutes. The anesthesia takes 2 to 5 minutes to work and lasts for about 30 minutes after the patch is removed.

The patch works just as well as (and sometimes better than) lidocaine ointment, but it is somewhat safer because it produces a lower level of anesthetic in the blood. The level is about 11% of the levels that results from a typical injection of lidocaine, and about 50% of the level produced by applying lidocaine ointment.
. Benzocaine

Benzocaine commonly is used as an ointment or liquid and contains from 7.5% to 20% anesthetic. It is used to reduce the pain of injections, and works similarly to lidocaine ointment. In addition, it is the only topical anesthetic available over the counter that is specifically intended for the temporary relief of toothache pain and the discomfort from canker sores, braces, teething and dentures.

. Tetracaine

Tetracaine is a powerful topical anesthetic. Because it dissolves in water, it spreads through the body's tissues faster than other anesthetics do. Tetracaine is used with benzocaine to reduce the gag reflex before taking impressions or X-rays. The onset of numbness is very rapid (within 1 minute) and lasts for about 15 minutes. This anesthetic combination is given in the form of a spray and must be used cautiously because tetracaine easily penetrates the mucous membrane in the mouth and enters the bloodstream. Overdoses can lead to severe toxic reactions, including death.

. Dyclonine Hydrochloride

This compound is used in many over-the-counter lozenges for relieving sore throat pain. It also is used in the dental office, most commonly in liquid form. Dyclonine hydrochloride takes up to 10 minutes to produce numbness, but it can be used in people who are allergic to other topical anesthetics.

. EMLA

EMLA (eutectic mixture of local anesthetics) is a combination of lidocaine and prilocaine in liquid form. Currently, EMLA is approved only for anesthesia on intact skin, and not inside the mouth. This is because EMLA reaches the bloodstream rapidly after it is applied in the mouth. There are no dosing guidelines for dental use. However, studies have tested EMLA in the mouth and found that it provided better anesthesia than 5% lidocaine ointment for certain procedures, including injections. A form of EMLA for use specifically in the mouth is being developed.

+1, what he said.
Pretty sure when I've gone in it is usually lidocaine.
Nasty tasting but works.
Possibly benzocaine but almost sure it is lidocaine, usually.

John P.

+1, what he said.
Pretty sure when I've gone in it is usually lidocaine.
Nasty tasting but works.
Possibly benzocaine but almost sure it is lidocaine, usually.

John P.

I asked last time I needed work and was told exactly that--usually lidocaine nowadays, sometimes benzocaine.

That day, I was SUPPOSED to have a tiny cavity in a front tooth done with a laser (no numbing), so I didn't worry that I had a gig that night (harmonica). My dentist was busy--in the room with the laser--so another dentist did it and numbed me. "No problem," I thought, "It'll wear off in a couple of hours and I have at least five hours before I have to play." WRONG! :eek: That was a tough gig!

We must be tougher in Britain! I've had many dentists over the years and none have ever put anything on before the gum injection!

Gareth

Clove Oil is/was used for years. It contains eugenol that is a good topical anesthetic.

Ah! So when I went to the pharmacy today looking for clove oil, the one that had the active ingredient Eugenol was it? Or is that just from clove oil, and that's not really clove oil? I wanted some to put in an aftershave....

I thought y'all had like 3 dentists on that entire island, and even they have bad teeth!...:lol:

You're thinking of National Health dentists. Rarer than hens teeth. Think there are only two of them these days.

Plenty of extortionate ones around!

Top Bottom