What's new

American Crew pomade vs the Nancy Boy pomade

American crew is more thick and has more hold. Nancy boy is lighter and a bit easier to apply. American crew also has tea tree scent pomade, which is even lighter than that. I like nancy boy but it's not much better than american crew. At least, not to me. It's also unscented so you don't get the benefit of nancy boy signature scent.

I prefer american crew fiber to all of them lately.

+1 on the American Crew Fiber. I find you get really great hold, you can get the hair to hold in clumps (what I like), but it washes out without a problem. When I first started using something like pomade, probably 8-10 years ago, I started with an Aveda product that was mostly beeswax...needless to say, it was VERY hard to wash out.

I like the American Classic pomade from sally beauty. It's a dead ringer for american crew, but it's 65% cheaper.

I saw that last night at Sally's, At first I thought it was American Crew until I looked closer.

I started going to supercuts to get a haircut recently after years having my wife buzz it all off, and the stylist recommended that I get the American Crew (instead of gel which I use(along with extra hold hairspray) - she said the alcohol in the gel dries the hair, though I don't see alcohol listed in my gel??) I balked at the $15 price tag, so I then went and got some Got 2 B.. something.. brand pomade at wal mart. The Got 2 B stuff sucks... might as well not use anything as it does nothing to contain my hair at all (I have full bodied, thick, wavy hair which I do my best to make as straight as possible).

If the classic is as good as the crew (and if both are significantly, and I mean significantly better than the Got 2 B) then I may give the classic a try sometime.

How do they compare to extra hold hairspray btw?

+1 on American Crew Fiber. It's the best of anything I've tried.

Although I also use the American Crew high hold gel when my hair is military cut short.

I really liked American Crew Fiber until I tried Gatsby Moving Rubber.......now this stuff is great!

I've used the American crew Fiber, as well as their Citrus mint Clay, and their Tea Tree defining paste.

The Fiber definitely has the highest hold, but the tea tree defining paste is pretty close, with a much better smell.

The citrus mint was ok, but I didn't buy it a second time.

I recently tried the Baxter of California Clay Pomade, and found it too thick to work with, and it didn't give much hold either. I ended up returning it.

On the way right now I've got some John Allan's "matte firm styling pomade" I'll let you know what I think as soon I've tried it.

cheers,

-- michael

When I had hair, :-( I started out using American Crew and Grant's Pomades. Then I graduated to American Crew Fiber because I didn't dig the shiny oiliness of the pomades. I ultimately ended up using Paul Mitchell's Elastic Shaping Paste which held exceptionally well and did not have the shiny oiliness to that that the pomades do.

If you dig the shiny, oily look, or less hold, stick with a pomade.

If you want more hold and a drier look, go for the A. Crew Fiber or a molding/shaping paste such as the one from Paul Mitchell.

Top Bottom