What's new

Shavex - Surprise Surprise!!!

Gaurav,

This might not be the place to ask, but do Alum bars wear down with time?

Another words, when wetting them and applying them to the face, how long should one expect to see an Alum bar last with daily use?

-joedy

Joedy said:
Gaurav,

Another words, when wetting them and applying them to the face, how long should one expect to see an Alum bar last with daily use?

-joedy

It is a cosumable... I can't answer about the duration though, I've been using mine for about two months and can tell it is smaller, but only slightly.

Joedy said:
Gaurav,

-joedy

If you keep it dry between uses, a standard 100g alum bar will last for years.

Suzuki said:
If you keep it dry between uses, a standard 100g alum bar will last for years.

Have you owned an alum block for years? I just wonder what your expertise is in this area?

If the alum is used everyday, rubbed on your face, leaving behind some of itself, it will wear down. Maybe even crack into smaller pieces.

The only info I found on how long an alum block will last;
3.5 oz. block/6-12 months (depending on use)

Of course "depending on use" leaves a huge ? as to what the answer actually is. :glare:

This post is somewhat troubling to me -on one hand we have a vendor who is hawking his wares on our site.
We meet him with tons of criticism which he then applies to his product.
We then criticize him again for then doing such.

A few observations not directed at any one person on the B&B!

This man obviously is writing his post with English as not his primary means of communication.

Receiving fairly harsh and somewhat mocking comments being directed at him,he has shown a commendable amount of respect and restraint in his replies.I would characterize his conduct as gentlemanly.

He claims to be a wet shaver.Thats what we are here for right?

Alum is a consumable product- perhaps his processing does make a difference-I don't know!

He is not doing anything a bunch of other vendors have not done on this board.

Goosemeplease said:
This post is somewhat troubling to me -on one hand we have a vendor who is hawking his wares on our site.
We meet him with tons of criticism which he then applies to his product.
We then criticize him again for then doing such.

A few observations not directed at any one person on the B&B!

This man obviously is writing his post with English as not his primary means of communication.

Receiving fairly harsh and somewhat mocking comments being directed at him,he has shown a commendable amount of respect and restraint in his replies.I would characterize his conduct as gentlemanly.

He claims to be a wet shaver.Thats what we are here for right?

Alum is a consumable product- perhaps his processing does make a difference-I don't know!

He is not doing anything a bunch of other vendors have not done on this board.

Goosemeplease,

Did you mean to post this in the other shavex thread? It doesn't seem to fit here, as we are only discussing alum blocks, not Shavex.

mrs. chefchris said:
Goosemeplease,

Did you mean to post this in the other shavex thread? It doesn't seem to fit here, as we are only discussing alum blocks, not Shavex.

The first post is from shavex saying that they have a new 400g format for their alum.

While this is not a "lifetime" supply, $20 for 400g is not a bad price considering that most blocks are between 100g and 125g and cost between $10 and $15.

As for whether I have "owned an alum block for years", the answer is yes. If you use it only for nick relief, a 100g block will likely last for a lifetime. I use mine almost every day and yes, if used every day and stored dry, a 100g block can easily last for a couple of years.

Obviously, if you drop it or it cracks, it won't last as long.

I also agree with Goosemeplease - we can decide for ourselves whether we want to deal with this particular vendor and we shouldn't criticize him for reformatting his product in response to our comments regarding the initial format or marketing methodology.

But nobody is criticizing Shavex in this thread. :001_smile

I also feel that all the criticism has gone a little too far.

And everyone is always welcome to decide these things for themselves.

shavex said:
...By the way, a 100g alum block on a human face (errr!) should last for atleast 12 months with frequent use and proper handing. By frequent use I mean on the entire shaved face and not spot application on nicks and cuts!

Gaurav,

Thank you for this information.

I appreciate your participation and your thick skin.

We wet shavers are a vicious lot, indeed.

Keep up the fine work, Gaurav.

-joedy

mrs. chefchris said:
I also feel that all the criticism has gone a little too far.
And everyone is always welcome to decide these things for themselves.

I agree....and ordered.....so I will let you know how things turn out.

Brian

The website lists this is an 'Alum Block pack'

I emailed Shavex re: the new unit and he promptly confirmed it is 7 alum blocks of ~58g each for a total of ~405-406 grams.

Still sounds quite interesting to me; but just wanted to ensure everyone else was clear this isn't a single huge block.

As the price per gram now seems quite reasonable; did anyone have comment on the 58g blocks from usability standpoint?

If I am not mistaken the gentleman did say the way he heat treats the blocks require the smaller size -the larger ones cannot be heated to the same temperature, That may explain it?

Quite likely; and I certainly wasn't complaining about the separate blocks.

I just wanted to ensure everyone was clear on what was being sold.

There seemed to be some discussion of how he changed his product and why doesn't he sell the small blocks anymore, etc.
In actual fact the only change is the price and number of blocks (and for the positive at that).

Goosemeplease said:
If I am not mistaken the gentleman did say the way he heat treats the blocks require the smaller size -the larger ones cannot be heated to the same temperature, That may explain it?

Top Bottom