What's new

Newbie looking for second safety recommendation

Greetings from NC!

I am new (3 months) to safety razor shaving and am very happy with it. I bought the Merkur from Atlanta Barber (23C, I think) and it has worked well for me with the Personna blades they sell. My next shaving adventure, I think, will be to try a blade sampler to learn which blades work best for me. I've already learned that the Personna's are far better than Wilkinson's available off-the-shelf here in the states. And, its a plus that they're made in the US. But, I digress...

I bike to work and therefore keep a separate set of toiletries in the office. Having convinced myself of the benefits of safety razor shaving, I am ready to buy a second. While I wouldn't be disappointed with another 23C, I am considering using the opportunity to try another, perhaps slightly more aggressive, razor.

I would love to get everyone's opinion on a good next razor for me to try. I am looking for a logical next step in both style and cost.

Thanks everyone!

Jack in NC

Gillette Superspeed.

End of thread.
:)

Okay okay - more seriously, the SS is the end-all-be-all for me and many others... you can go with the standard (most common), which seems to have a similar shave no matter what year you get from my understanding, or you can get the red tip (more aggressive) and blue tip (less aggressive).

I also recently snagged a schick krona, which is pretty nifty - very 70's looking.

If you want to stay modern, go for a slant-bar by merkur, or a heavy long-handled (38c and 39c) razor.

Other viable options? You could go single-edge (gem micromatics and similar), but that's another leaning curve. You could go with an expensive monster like the Aristocrat or President... or keep it cheaper and get a gillette slim adjustable for more options.

At this point it's moot though.... you're gonna buy about 10 razors in the next year. just start looking for good deals and stocking up.
:)

I agree with endcycle. Give the other side of the fence a try and check out a vintage Gillette. A Red Tip SS, a Slim Adjustable, a Fatboy or a Super Adjustable would all give you the more aggressive shave you mentioned.

I started with Merkur (38C, specifically) and have since switched primarily to Gillette. I've also recently tried a Futur, but the Gillettes (NEW and Slim are what I've used, so far) are just so much nicer to shave with. I don't feel the blade like I do with Merkurs. Much more pleasant, in my opinion.

I amnot familiar the Merkur you have, the 23c, but I have found the Merkur HD to be a dependable, aggressive performer. You may also want to try razors with teeth, from Gillette or Merkur. I think these in general tend to be more aggressive.

Trying new stuff is the real fun of all this. I detect a developing case of RAD.

I started with Merkur (38C, specifically) and have since switched primarily to Gillette. I've also recently tried a Futur, but the Gillettes (NEW and Slim are what I've used, so far) are just so much nicer to shave with. I don't feel the blade like I do with Merkurs. Much more pleasant, in my opinion.

I found Slim adjustable and rocket HD 500 from flea market last saturday and I have been shaving with slim for four days. I agree with you that you dont feel the blade like in Merkur, but surely the slim bites if set too aggressive. I started with 5 and setted it back to 3 after irritation.

Haven't tried Rocket yet but maybe next week :) I really cant decide between Merkur and Gillette, but why should I because I can use both.

Some great advice in this thread already--you can't really go wrong with any of it. I'll add my recommendation for a Gillette Super Speed or Gillette Red Tip Super Speed.

So with all the wonderful advice, let me through in my two cents...check the Buy Sell Trade forum for a Slim or Fatboy Adjustable. You can make it as soft or as aggressive a razor as you wish. Do not get one on eBay as you'll pay twice what it's worth.

Best,

All of the advice is good. Red tip SS is a nice razor. More weight than the normal SS. The slant is going to be aat the upper end of aggressive for a fixed blade razor but is is sweet. The fatboy, 38C and 39C have heft. Nobody has mentioned the Gillette New yet. A great open comb razor that is more aggressive than the Super Speeds.

A great open comb razor that is more aggressive than the Super Speeds.

I wonder if this is too aggressive for someone starting out. I have found the open combs to have much more of an exposed blade and almost too aggressive...perhaps appropriate for three days growth of beard but not for me for everyday.

Best,

I wouldn't say that a "New" is too aggressive. I feel it is on a par with the red tip SuperSpeed. I have them both in my current rotation along with a Pomco Diagonal (Merkur Slant), but for whatever reason I seem to look to the red tip as my go-to razor.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm convinced, a vintage Gillette is the way I'll go. Now I just need to decide if its red tip SS, Slim or Fatboy. I see there are some from sellers here, and some on Ebay, all of which seem comparably priced. So, I have some good leads and will see what I can come up with.

Shaving is going to evolve from necessary evil to morning ritual to obsessive, expensive hobby isn't it? Frankly, I'm a little scared...

Thanks again everyone!
Jack

> 40's superspeed.

Tom, why 40's as opposed to others? Thx!

I'll chime in here too: they do shave differently from later super speeds, but I like 'em all. The 1948-1950 super speeds are not as aggressive as a red tip, of course, but they're slightly more popular than the "flare-tip" super speeds, and not because of their age.

Top Bottom