What's new

Gillette British 66

I'm seeing more and more of the #66's in what I thought was a #21 case..
beginning to think that maybe they belong there? Does anyone have information or old brochures showing which belongs where?
I know this is a stretch but I thought I'd try. Here's a pic of what I'm a talking about.

I bought an Aristocrat #66 a while back from a gentleman in Berlin, and it had precisely the case in your photo. (It was in utterly pristine, never used condition, and the outer cardboard box (which was also in absolutely perfect condition said Gillette Aristocrat No. 66, and on the side "Made in England".

Interestingly, there was a single pack of sealed blue blades that "BERLIN-Made in Germany" on the back, and the usual stuff on the front. Needless to say, the gorgeous razor itself was made in England.

The whole package (carton, case, razor, blades) had that never used "new old stock" smell...sigh....
So in short, yes. Gillette Aristocrat No. 66 did in fact come in a case like you displayed, along with the other greenish "leatherette" case, as used in the Coronation set.

Anyone else have more info? I'm not sure about the year, but I'm guessing 1952-ish.

Hope that helps!
Regards,

Do you have pics you could post for myself and others to see?
That would be most helpful and awesome!
But it also sounds like you no longer own the razor.. hope that is not so!
I think this is another one of those misconceptions of what razor belongs in which case..
Thanks for the reply.

This case for sure was sold with the #21, and I don't know about it being teamed with a #66. I have seen a couple of these cases and they had the #21 in them, and I believe Achim has one like that on his web site with the outer shipper box. I also do not recall seeing a #21 razor in a #66 case.

That's why I posted this thread because thats what I originally believed.. because I've seen more and more of these lately being sold with #66's in them, I'm thinking otherwise.. and Achim's website doesn't show his #21 with outer box.
Also, Antipode's post reinforces my curiousity.. so I'm hoping either he has some pics to post to clarify or perhaps someone has a brochure to illustrate otherwise.
We've seen a few razors change home lately.. such as the Senator no longer belonging to the Regent Tech case, but rather an Aristocrat. Food for thought.

I think the pic from you shows a No22 from 1957 about the yellow inlet. The inlet from the 1948 No21 is more gold than yellow. Here you see first No21 and second No22.

Do you have pics you could post for myself and others to see?
That would be most helpful and awesome!
But it also sounds like you no longer own the razor.. hope that is not so!
I think this is another one of those misconceptions of what razor belongs in which case..
Thanks for the reply.
Happily, I'm still enjoying my #66! I wouldn't sell it. Today after work, I'll photograph the whole set and post the photos for you to compare (unfortunately, I'll have to use the camera on my phone, but the quality should be pretty good anyway). The case I have looks identical to Achim's bottom photo, and your photo as well. I'll post photos this evening.

As promised, here are the first five photos of my #66. Sorry about the quality and the lack of artistic skill, but hey...I tried :)

Two more photos in the next message..

That's the last of them. I'm sure others on this forum know much more than I do about the history and variety of #66's. And I can attest to the fact that it is the most beautiful razor I've ever seen, and is slightly more aggresive than my 1949 SuperSpeed (my daily razor). Can anybody confirm the date of my #66?

Thanks all,

Thanks for looking! It's a great razor. And Achim is a tremendous resource for all of us. I've learned alot by just hanging around and enjoying other peoples razors. Lots of good folks here...

For a good condition model with case, how much should one expect to pay?

If buying from a member here then i would expect it to be around $180+. If you are talking ebay then it's a gamble. I have seen these go for a little less than a hundred to $500 very recently. But the main problem with ebay is crappy pictures and the probability of getting a not so pristine piece is high.

Achim, somehow I never thought to visit your website before reading this thread. Wow, what a nice resource, so well presented, so many nice pieces. Thanks!

Top Bottom