What's new

A very interesting shave, Part III - Achilles Jaw

A specific part of my jaw actually. The right side only, from just beyond my chin, for a little over an inch toward the ear, and from just below my jawline, about three fourths of an inch up. I have serious problems with this area, and I cannot figure out what to do about it.

Here are the problems. First, on a very gentle, no against pass, this area remains more stubbly than anywhere else. I cannot seem to get it smooth without going against. Actually, I cannot get it smooth at all, even going against the grain.

I might be able to, more or less, except I can't ever get a smooth pass against the grain. No matter how hard I work at reduction first, when I try to go against, or anywhere close to against, the blade catches, vibrates, stutters, and digs in. I always end up with blood. Just little weepers, not actual cuts, but still. I do dread to think what the digging in part I feel with the blade would mean if I ever try a straight. And as a result of the poor pass, I do not get rid of all the stubble either.

An injector or Gem helps, since the blade is stiffer, but even these suffer from the same problems to a lesser degree.

Any ideas? I have tried stretching in all different directions. I have a lot to work on here, but no matter what I do, this only seems to help a little. A really slippery lather helps some, but only some. I have tried and tried again so many times with slight variations on angle and pressure that I am beginning to give up on getting anywhere there. Attempts at blade buffing = fast irritation. :mad:

That is the exact spot that I also have the most trouble also, The grain of my beard grows in many different directions and in that area. It lies flat against the skin. The only thing that works for me is multiple passes increasing in direction toward against the grain.
This requirement is the cause for my insistence on lubricity and cushion in my soaps. I will do 6 or more passes in that area-plus partials.

I have also found that the Gillette NEW and the slantbar razors with feather blades are the most effective.

The answer will be from you though- keep trying different approaches and you will find what works for you.

I've got the exact same problem, so I suppose it's pretty common. Really stretching the skin helps quite a bit, although thats not without a certain bit of difficulty.

I have the same part of my jaw line that requires this extra attention. So far, the only effective way to deal with this is multiple passes in various directions.

Cheers,

Just to check the obvious things:

1. Have you tried glycerine as a pre-pass pre-shave?
2. Have you tried other blades? Feathers?
3. Have you tried blade buffing? (with care)

1: I am going to try glycerin today.

2: I use Feathers as well as other types of blades - some blades like Swedish Gillettes and even the Israeli Personnas and definitely drug store brand blades seem to make it worse.

3. I am not exactly sure how to do blade buffing. I have read many posts but it is coming across kind of how people describe Methodshaving texts - too many words.

This is from my blog and might help:

After the final pass with the razor, squeeze the bristles of your shaving brush with your other hand (the one not holding the razor) and feel over your face for any remaining rough spots. By using lathered fingers, you automatically lather any rough spots you find. When you find a rough patch, try “blade buffing”: extremely short repeated strokes over the rough area. Keep the proper angle, with the blade close to parallel to the skin, the handle perpendicular, and use extremely short strokes, like 1/4″ or less, not lifting the blade as you move it back and forth. One shaver described the motion as if you were trying to scribble in small section of your beard with a pencil.

For me, blade buffing is needed most often on the chin, on a couple of spots on my neck, at the corners of my mouth, and occasionally on the cheek. It goes smoothly and quickly with the little layer of lather put down by the hand feeling for the rough spots.

Top Bottom