What's new

How to properly load a shaving brush

Here is a copy & paste from a post I made yesterday about basically this very issue. Since loading the brush and mixing with water go hand in hand this might help. It works great for me:

As for water I've come up w/ a pretty good system in terms of how much; keeping in mind that each soap interacts with water differently. This does require you to use a bowl. Fill the bowl w/ hot sink water and soak the brush in the bowl while showering or whatever. Also sprinkle some water over your soap using the tips of your fingers. When ready turn the brush on it's end and let excess water shed away. Dump the water out of the bowl, but DO NOT shake it dry. Just turn it upside down and rightside up again. There will be a touch of water left in the bottom. Now give your brush one or two good shakes. Twist and mash the brush in your soap for 20 or 30 secs. Between the damp bristles, the soggy soap and the little bit of water in the bowl this seems to be a good starting point. I generally add water to the mix using the finger-sprinkle method once or twice during whipping, and I get a nice, thick, luxurious lather every time.

I'm using Tabac soap by the way that is very lather-friendly. You might consider picking some up as it's modestly priced and keeps your face moist pretty much all day.

Plunging and swirling the brush over the soap for those 20-30 seconds is key to getting enough product for a good mixture. I don't use creams, but the same principle applies with the exception you don't want to 'plunge' too hard if the cream is soft. Hope this helps; good luck.

Welcome to B&B!

The answer to your question is a long one & is dependant on some variables (the cream you are using/lathering in bowl/lathering in your hand/lathering on your face/using a boar hair brush/using a badger hair brush/using a synthetic brush/etc).

Fortunately, many of the folks here have created tutorials to answer the questions that frequently come up when people are learning about wet shaving.

Check out 'Wet shaving instructions and tutorials'.

Also, make sure watch at least some of mantic's videos on youtube. You could start with How To Build And Apply Traditional Shaving Lather and then check out The Art Of Lathering. He's got a number of great videos that will help as you develop your best technique.

Good shaving

Top Bottom