What's new

Clothing Advice

I will be graduating from college in about 2 weeks. I got my degree in paralegal studies and will sit for the federal exam in September. I am setting up interviews with some law firms and I need to know what to wear to the interview. My problem is that I do not have a suit and as I have been a student I do not have to funds to buy a suit right now. I do have a pair of black slacks that I can wear and I could buy a sport coat but I do not know what color to get. I know that I should dress as best as I can for an interview so what color sport coat would be acceptable for interviews at a prosective Law Firm?

I will be graduating from college in about 2 weeks. I got my degree in paralegal studies and will sit for the federal exam in September. I am setting up interviews with some law firms and I need to know what to wear to the interview. My problem is that I do not have a suit and as I have been a student I do not have to funds to buy a suit right now. I do have a pair of black slacks that I can wear and I could buy a sport coat but I do not know what color to get. I know that I should dress as best as I can for an interview so what color sport coat would be acceptable for interviews at a prosective Law Firm?

I would suspect that for a law firm and as a potential new-hire, the more conservative the better.... navy or black... as close a match to the pants as possible... you don't want (IMHO) your attire to stand out and you don't want it to appear mismatched (ie: not an actually suit). Defintely, keep the tie subdued and the shirt white or light blue. My 2c.
oh, and for God-sake... NO WHITE SOCKS. :biggrin:

You can get a very decent suit for about $100, not sure where you are at but the Hollywood Suit Outlet is a great spot if you are in So Cal. I would definitely go with navy or black on a first interview. For ties, I have always gone either blue or red (some pattern on each) but my last, well second to last, interview turned into a political debate because I wore a red tie and yes I am Republican. Needless to say I didn't get nor want the job after that. Something to think about. Last interview, got the job, wore a black suit, pale yellow shirt, pale yellow/goldish patterned tie.

Other things to consider for interviews:
Shave your face, comb your hair, clip your nails, DON'T wear cologne, shine your shoes, match your belt with your shoes, have fresh breath, put visine in your eyes to make sure your whites are white, sit in your car with your A/C blasting until you are about frozen (sweating in an interview is not good), bring a handkerchief if you have oily skin so you are not shiny, mirror your interviewer's attitude, put your shoulders back flash a smile and get the damn job.

Well, frankly, if you're going to be working at law firms, you need to go ahead and find the money for a halfway decent "off the rack" suit somehow. Outlets, Burlington, TJ Maxx . . . Men's Wearhouse . . . JC Penney's . . . something like that.

It's just how it is. Dress for the job you're applying for, or the one above it.

NANP™

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would suspect that for a law firm and as a potential new-hire, the more conservative the better.... navy or black... as close a match to the pants as possible... you don't want (IMHO) your attire to stand out and you don't want it to appear mismatched (ie: not an actually suit). Defintely, keep the tie subdued and the shirt white or light blue. My 2c.
oh, and for God-sake... NO WHITE SOCKS. :biggrin:

um ... no.

No.

NO!! :eek:

Wearing a "look-i-made-a-suit-out-of-slacks-and-a-blazer" suit is about the worst think you can do. And a navy blazer will NOT go with black pants.

If you can afford a blazer, you can beg, borrow and steal the balance to afford a suit. Plain, mid-grey ... no stripes, checks, or patterns.

If you must (and I mean "so-i-can-afford-my-insulin" sort of "must") get a blazer only, I'd suggest wearing your pants and a white shirt to the clothing store, and trying on something in an olive green perhaps. (Oh, would that you could afford to shop at a store with expensive enough stuff that the salesman would know what he's talking about.)

Good luck!

(Sorry, turtle. :001_rolle)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
NP. I thought it obvious that navy w/ black would be bad bad bad, but then again, ya can't be too thorough. :biggrin:
I was actually more worried about ...
...black... as close a match to the pants as possible... you don't want ... it to appear mismatched (ie: not an actually suit).

I've seen enough otherwise-reputable guys try to pull off the almost-suit and fail miserably. Yes, it has to be subtle, but it does have to have enough contrast from the pants that he subtly sends the message "no, I'm not trying to make this an almost-suit."

The advice about subdued tie, white/blue shirt, not white socks ... bang on. :biggrin:

I was actually more worried about ...

I've seen enough otherwise-reputable guys try to pull off the almost-suit and fail miserably. Yes, it has to be subtle, but it does have to have enough contrast from the pants that he subtly sends the message "no, I'm not trying to make this an almost-suit."

The advice about subdued tie, white/blue shirt, not white socks ... bang on. :biggrin:

Yeah, :blush: .. I was assuming the just out of school, need to buy insulin scenario.

Just to allay any fears Ian, the only time I mismatch is the navy blazer with tan pants. classic, but not good for an interview.

EDIT: oh, and always a white shirt with a black suit... makes me look like... oh wait, a, um... penguin. :lol:

To the OP... how about getting someone to buy you a decent suit as a (early?) graduation present? problem solved then.

<much snippage>

If you must (and I mean "so-i-can-afford-my-insulin" sort of "must") get a blazer only, I'd suggest wearing your pants and a white shirt to the clothing store, and trying on something in an olive green perhaps.

That's a brilliant color choice.

Jshaw, that, a serviceable discount outlet suit, and a pair of Dockers will give you three distinct outfits. Ties and shirts are a cheap way to stretch it to a full week of work clothing.

NANP™

C

cut-on-contact

Paralegal services - what sort of exposure to the law office's clients you will have will dictate what you wear to work, but I think you want to appear business like when you interview. I think a suit is imperative.

Socks should be an extension of the pant leg. The trousers can be fitted with buttons for braces (suspenders). White shirts go anywhere, and they should be laundered with medium starch. If you're traveling with the clothes for an interview then have the laundry fold the shirts. If you're having multiple interviews you can change the shirt color or pattern (pin stripes) and the tie and have completely changed the look.

Summer wool is the best fabric for your purpose. You can buy trousers with linings that make the pants hang better and are more comfortable for all day wear. They cost more, considerably more, but are worth considering.

You don't have to spend hundreds or thousands on a suit but check out the link to get an idea. You can walk into Brooks Brothers looking like a courier and walk out looking like a CEO. The same with all good clothiers.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/landing_men.tem<

I knew a guy who became an executive in NYC. While interviewing he slept in his car, cleaned up in wash rooms and had only one suit. He deserved the job and worked like a dog all the time. First he had to make an impression. The impression needs to be good.

Best of luck to you.

If you have an H&M around, you can get a suit for under $100. They look pretty good, too. Younger looking suit, so you don't look like a 22 year-old in an old man's suit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just to allay any fears Ian, the only time I mismatch is the navy blazer with tan pants. classic, but not good for an interview.

But that's a good business-casual or casual look. Perhaps pair it with a lightweaght sweater; the best choice there would be a ... ahem ... turtleneck.

jshaw

A navy blue suit and a pair of grey or tan slacks to wear with the jacket will make a good foundation for your wardrobe. If you must buy only a jacket to match the black trousers, a fine dark grey glen check sport coat, or a black and grey nailhead sport coat, would work admirably and be serviceable in the long run.

Try to reserve enough for at least one good white shirt and a couple of conservative rep ties. Good furnishings always get noticed.

Best Regards

Graham

But that's a good business-casual or casual look. Perhaps pair it with a lightweaght sweater; the best choice there would be a ... ahem ... turtleneck.

:lol:

yeah, but not a good look *for me*... too short of a neck and an Italian beard/neck stubble that shreds any material left in constant contact. A turtle neck would look like one of Limecat's scratching toys after just a few wears. Speaking of... where is the little guy?

Look in your phone book or newspaper and see if you have any consignment shops or resellers. You may be able to find a decent suit for pennies on the dollar. Good luck.

+1 on AskAndy. It is a fabulous site.

Depending on where you live, a Goodwill might be a good place to look for a suit. My roommate got an Armani that fits him perfectly for $7.50. It is amazing what you can find, and that is what they are there for.

Try to save a little money and have it tailored to fit your body. This does not usually cost too much.

As a recent college graduate, I second the need for a good suit. Just remember, a suit only needs to last a year or so when you are starting out. You can replace it with much better clothing after you get the job. BUT YOU MUST GET THE JOB.

Jonathan

Top Bottom