What's new

Clothing Advice

+1 on Ontario's advice. I am also an attorney. A lot depends on the type of firm, law they practice, type of clients. You need to get a little background in that area. In regard to dress, you must go conservative. Blue suit...Brooks Brothers (e-bay). Nice Black Shoes...Allen-Edmonds (e-bay). Matching belt. White button down shirt. Tie...Solid or Striped. (nothing shiny or metallic).

Good luck.

Looks to me like the dress code in the Texas legal community is the same as here in Canada.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1 on the advice from Ontario (I never thought I'd say something nice about Ontario, but it's the guy not the province so I guess that's okay. Don't worry folks, just some inter-provincial canadian humour.)

Some of that advice is aimed more at long-term working in the office rather than just the interview, and I'd just add to that: once you work there, you will get a sense of what the office's dress-culture is like and can dress appropriately. (A "all my bosses wear XX, should I be wearing YY?" thread will be fine ... insert the words "polo shirts" and "3-piece suits" or "dress pants" and "jeans" as appropriate ... :001_rolle)

Hate to say this, if you are applying for a paralegal position at a law firm, find the cash for a decent suit. I am partial towards a dark grey or navy all season wool, white dress shirt with a point or spread collar, and get a tie that exudes professionalism however I would avoid blue or red this election season. Oh don't forget to polish your shoes and wear a pair of decent socks that match the suit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hate to say this, if you are applying for a paralegal position at a law firm, find the cash for a decent suit. I am partial towards a dark grey or navy all season wool, white dress shirt with a point or spread collar, and get a tie that exudes professionalism however I would avoid blue or red this election season. Oh don't forget to polish your shoes and wear a pair of decent socks that match the suit.

Those are also the colours for the Crips and Bloods ... so if your interview is in certain parts of LA ... :eek:

Top Bottom