What's new

Why Mach 3s in shaving kits?

As I have been getting back into blade shaving, I have noticed that many of the kits with stands, etc have Mach3 razors in them. Is this just to entice newbies? Or is there another reason? Just curious.

Not everyone uses a DE, me included. The wetshave experience includes cartridge systems still. All the pre and post stuff still happens, it is just using a M3 instead of a DE.

As I have been getting back into blade shaving, I have noticed that many of the kits with stands, etc have Mach3 razors in them. Is this just to entice newbies? Or is there another reason? Just curious.

Because Mach 3 is the most popular razor in the US and Proctor & Gamble has brilliant marketing. They probably give subsidies, etc. to companies that make handles supporting the Mach 3 cartridges.

Lots of men still use them. It would be silly to not offer them. They'd be missing out an entire demographic.

I thought it was that the M3 is Gillette's best "Classic" razor; likely according to Gillette at least.

Aren't all of the good DE kit handles using Merkur?

What real or supposed advantages does the Mach 3 have over the Schick Quattro or other multi-blade razors?

What real or supposed advantages does the Mach 3 have over the Schick Quattro or other multi-blade razors?

You might get a more detailed response if you ask about the merits of a nice DE over the multi-blade options of either the Mach 3 or the Schick Quattro.

There are reasons to try a DE razor, technical reasons (e.g., less irritation) and reasons that I liken to nostalgia (e.g., it feels great to use a razor like the ones that grandpa used).

Either way, Enjoy your shaves, and welcome to B&B.

I wonder if Gillette pays companies to make handles for M3 cartridges...it would be an easy way for them to make a small investment and reap the benefits of guys buying cartridge after cartridge.

I started shaving with a DE back in 1958-9. (yes--that long ago! I'm 66.) I've been wet shaving since 1963, when i bought my first brush and an Old Spice mug and soap kit. (they weren't vintage back then.)
Gave up the DE to try every new thing to come down the pike, but stayed with the brush and cup because it really was qualitatively better than the junk that came out of a can. Went back to a DE 2 years ago and own the following DEs:
Merkur Vision
Merkur Futur
Merkur Slant
Merkur Classic
2 Gillette vintage razors, not certain which ones they are.

and here's the thing: I can get an irritation free shave with any of them, but it isn't as close as I can get with an M3. If I try to get in closer, either by trying a different angle, or stretching my skin a bit more, I succeed in getting a closer shave, but irritate my skin. Several barbers have told me that this is because of the way my beard grows (very shallow angle, and of course--in all directions.)
Shaving with an M3, I can go in much closer, go ATG thereby getting a much closer shave, and not irritate my skin at all. Go figure. We've all got different skin and hair growth patterns.

Top Bottom