What's new

What did you do? 4th of July Highlights

I wanted to hear some of your highlights from your Independence Day.

Highlights for me:

Had an all-American breakfast: Eggs, apple pancakes, sausage, and bacon.

Drank some Buffalo Trace whiskey (which probably just bumped Knob Creek from #1 on my list).

Read the Declaration of Independence.

Watched a baseball game and drank some beer.

I feel very American. God Bless the USA!

I hope yours was happy and safe.

Had French toast, watched a Chinese movie with my Japanese friend and my Russian friend, had some French beer, some Irish beer, and some English beer, went out for Mexican food, and roasted me a dang ol' Dominican cigar. Then I watched fireworks while drinking scotch. :biggrin: It's fun being American on Independence day when you can appreciate getting to have a day like this!

I made the fixin's then I eat way to much of them....After that I watched the skies light up as I light up a nice Padron....:001_smile

proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Slept til 11 AM
Checked B&B
Shaved
Mowed the yard, (kind of, I only had to get what my dad misses with his tractor)
Posted SOTD pic on B&B
Had dinner with extended family
Played cards
Checked B&B

Worked a 14 hour day. No complaints. It was double time and a half due to a holiday and that I worked yesterday and today too.

Took it easy a bit in the early part of the day, drove over to the Lakefront in Waukegan, IL where I had a concert with the 70 piece concert band I conduct...made sure the stage was set up in the right place, and equipment ended up moved there, came home, took it easy where my father had come for a visit, then back at 4ish...set up the band, and worked with the sound guys, ate some fried chicken, did a sound check and from 7:30-9:30 did the following program:

Washington Post John Philip Sousa
American Overture for Band Joseph Wilcox Jenkins
Victory at Sea Richard Rogers
Big Band Spectacular Various
Overture to "Candide" Leonard Bernstein
Amazing Grace Trad. arr Frank Tichelli
American Patrol
Eternal Father, Strong to Save arr. Claude T. Smith

Intermission

On the Mall Edwin Franko Goldman
Superman John Williams
Armed Forces on Parade
Variations on "America" Charles Ives
The Klaxon Henry Fillmore
All Those Endearing Young Charms/Danny Boy (Tom Gillette, Euph. Solo)
America, The Beautiful arr. Carmen Dragon
Overture "1812" Tchaikowsky
The Stars and Stripes Forever John Philip Sousa

After that I came home and crashed....fireworks? What fireworks...oh...those rockets that went up at the end of 1812...yeah, those. Otherwise, I ran like a sissy to beat the traffic!:lol::lol::lol:

The "highlight" was driving out to the dam for the newly relocated fireworks show here and heckling the whole thing like Statler and Waldorf. About ten minutes in, we noticed the group behind us was having much the same conversation. Our sense of humor turned to the macabre when one of the shells failed to take off and instead exploded on the ground. Everyone was OK, which made it funny (rather than tragic) to see red flares they were using to light the shells scatter just before the errant shell went off. Just these little red dots running away, then slowly getting back to the array to keep the show going.

The 45 minute, 4 mile drive home was a downer in the end though...

The "highlight" was driving out to the dam for the newly relocated fireworks show here and heckling the whole thing like Statler and Waldorf.

Oddly enough, I spent my Fourth watching Statler and Waldorf on YouTube. I love them. I heckled the fireworks last year in NYC. I left halfway through.

Spent allll day at the pool BBQing, drinking good beer, and enjoying friends. Then it started to rain.

Went inside to neighbors house and continued drinking beer, playing Wii Darts and drinking more beer. BTW, I love beer.

Sampled some homebrews, Killians, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, St Pauli's, etc...

Awesome day.

Took it easy a bit in the early part of the day, drove over to the Lakefront in Waukegan, IL where I had a concert with the 70 piece concert band I conduct...made sure the stage was set up in the right place, and equipment ended up moved there, came home, took it easy where my father had come for a visit, then back at 4ish...set up the band, and worked with the sound guys, ate some fried chicken, did a sound check and from 7:30-9:30 did the following program:

Washington Post John Philip Sousa
American Overture for Band Joseph Wilcox Jenkins
Victory at Sea Richard Rogers
Big Band Spectacular Various
Overture to "Candide" Leonard Bernstein
Amazing Grace Trad. arr Frank Tichelli
American Patrol
Eternal Father, Strong to Save arr. Claude T. Smith

Intermission

On the Mall Edwin Franko Goldman
Superman John Williams
Armed Forces on Parade
Variations on "America" Charles Ives
The Klaxon Henry Fillmore
All Those Endearing Young Charms/Danny Boy (Tom Gillette, Euph. Solo)
America, The Beautiful arr. Carmen Dragon
Overture "1812" Tchaikowsky
The Stars and Stripes Forever John Philip Sousa

After that I came home and crashed....fireworks? What fireworks...oh...those rockets that went up at the end of 1812...yeah, those. Otherwise, I ran like a sissy to beat the traffic!:lol::lol::lol:
Great program, almost perfect really. Your group should have also played Robert Russell Bennett's Suite Of Old American Dances. What a great piece!

I also worked at the time and a half holiday pay. Had cereal and went home to have my beloved frozen pizza but alas, no pizzas in the freezer. My anger turned hunger. Cries of angst soon followed.

I enjoyed the day with a great family party. My brother in law and his family are up from So.Carolina, he's active duty Navy.Lots of hot dogs, bubba burgers, and of course beer.A really nice time was had by all!

Top Bottom