What's new

Circular lathering damages a brush?

Has anyone ever noticed bent, kinked or twisted bristles in a brush as the result of circular lather building on the face?

Thanks.

Best,

I face lather every day, my vulfix gets twisted, pumped, beat, scrubbed, and bashed against my beard with such force the bristles end up every which way. At the end of my shave I am sure to rinse very well and shake the brush out with enough force it feels just damp. Then I pull the brush through a loosly closed fist to align the hairs as best I can. Except for that routine I don't worry much about it.

Is this comming from that post somewhere about how Kent says to brush, not twirl?

I think that if twisting occured (which I dont think it would - I believe it would spring straight back), surely it would untwist when you rinse out the brush. Even if it hadnt by then, surely it would as it dried.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Has anyone ever noticed bent, kinked or twisted bristles in a brush as the result of circular lather building on the face?

Thanks.

Best,

No, but I lather counter clockwise on odd days and clockwise on even days. :biggrin:

You mean it makes a brush look like this?
$IMG_20170203_132758.jpg$IMG_20170203_132733.jpg

*snork* - it was an accidental auction purchase, along with two Gem razors - you can see both in that picture.

I have zero interest in gems, so I'll be putting all four of them together in a lot in the WTS forum once I've cleaned the worst of them off.

I'm softening/cleaning the brush to see if I can straighten it out enough to use; maybe i'll trim it a bit. I'm not even sure what kind of brush it is, other than natural hair. The seller dipped it in Lysol, and apparently didn't rinse it. Soaking in dawn water turned the water white. (I wonder if the Lysol made it twist... Don't see why, it's not really any different than other disinfectants used here)

The stainless steel bowl behind the brush was an impulse buy, but looks like I may get a few more. The lid is close to vacuum tight when you take a moment to clamp it down, and the base of the bowl will fit into the top. So, useful for having more than one soap and stacking them.

Here are instructions from Thater, Plisson, Simpson, Martin De Candre, and Shavemac. Seems 'swirling circular motions are favored by some, and not others. I've been lathering in a circular fashion for over 40 years. Used one badger brush for over 30, until I came to the forums and picked up the SBAD. No problems with my brushes yet.

$soap1.jpg

Attachments

• $soap2.jpg
    $soap2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 95
  • $soap3.jpg
    $soap3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 96
  • $soap4.jpg
    $soap4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 94
  • $soap6.jpg