What's new

Attn: Merkur Fans

I was wondering which one you prefer and why? I have seen there are many to choose from and I don't know where to start. I am happy using my 59' Fat Boy so far but I would like to try some new razors in the quest for the perfect shave.

Great question.. I have only a Merkur HD which I like alot, though.. I am new to the world of DE. I find the HD a very 'non aggressive' razor, though I have found that I am very fond of my Gillette SS. I am eager to see what you get, as I have been thinking of Progress or Futur.. the Vision looks nice, though a tad on the $$ for me..

Wayne

The 1904 and the "Classic" are my favs. Superspeeds just didn't get close enough for me.
Have you tried the HD? I thought the Classic and HD were similar, yet I found that my SS shaves a tad closer than my HD.. I used Derby's and Gillette 7'oClocks in each w/ same (SS a tad closer..).. guess it's another YMMV scenario..

Wayne

The HD is my go to razor. I have a SS and Tech but the HD feels better in my hand and gives me a great shave.

I recently got a Gold-HD, and its good, but I admit that my Gillettes shave closer. I started with Derby blades in it last week, this week I'm using Crystals.

The HD attracted my attention because so many people were talking about it here, and it seems to be the standard yardstick when comparing everything else. So I wanted one to know what everyone was talking about. I knew even before I got it that its not the world's best DE, but its definitely the world's best seller.

I also am debating which Merkur to get next ... I probably will go for something with a long handle, either a comb or a slant. Sooner or later I'll add a Progress ... no way to avoid that one, its another "must have" item.

I had an idea a little while ago of building up a Merkur 3x3 combo kit, consisting of 3 heads (Straight, Slant, and Comb) and 3 different handles ... and I wanted to interchange the heads and handles so I could have 9 razors for the price of 3.

Alas, a quick conversation with Lee of www.leesrazors.com educated me to the fact that the Merkurs are not interchangeable ... so scratch that idea.

Merkur's numbering system confuses the heck out of me ... is there some pattern to the numbers that I haven't figured out yet?

In any case, I'm figuring that eventually my active razor rotation will have about 10~12 pieces. I'm up to 4 right now. (HD, Fatboy, Tech, and Gem.) Merkur will account for 4~5, Gillette an equal number, and the balance will be oddball stuff like Gem, Shick Injector, and a straight razor or two.

Have you tried the HD? I thought the Classic and HD were similar, yet I found that my SS shaves a tad closer than my HD.. I used Derby's and Gillette 7'oClocks in each w/ same (SS a tad closer..).. guess it's another YMMV scenario..

Wayne

I haven't tried the HD. When I bought my classic, the HD was out of stock IIRC, so I got the Classic instead and love it. The 1904 and the Classic are the same (or very very similar) head. I use derbys and IPs primarily with an occasional white label Wilkinson thrown in. As I said, the Merkurs get much closer for me than the Gillettes, but I do keep a Tech in my rotation... I just make sure to use that with my sharpest blade (the Wilkies). But, as you said, YMMV.

I'm looking to have my first DE wet shave. Any suggestionds on a good razor to start with any and all info will be helpfull. I would like suggestions for all the gear needed to get started

I have owned the classic (sold it because I liked the heft of the HD better), slant (sold it because it didn't work well for me), 38C (sold it because it was too big for my taste), HD, and Progress (Mergress actually) and like the Mergress best, followed closely by the HD. These two are basically the only razors I use now and I really like them, every once in awhile I'll use a rocket HD or NO. 66.

After reading a bunch of reviews and suggestions I decided to go with the merkur progress. I am glad I did, I have been using it the last 6 months and it was my first razor. This thing can be dialed down to super smooth or opened up to mow the grass. If you do decide to get it as your first razor be diligent to choose a mild setting and stay with that until you get your technique down pat. The temptation exists for some to fiddle with the setting but if you have will power this is not a problem. I say progress.

I'm looking to have my first DE wet shave. Any suggestionds on a good razor to start with any and all info will be helpfull. I would like suggestions for all the gear needed to get started
After reading this forum and taking suggestions.. I started w/ a Gillette Tech and a Merkur HD.. both are excellent razors.. I was told to shy away from starting w/ an adjustable (though others have done so), as it's just another item that I would need / want to play with prior to perfecting my technique.

I will say that my technique is far from perfected, though I get a very good shave each day.. (I learn something new each day.. hence will never really be "perfected").. Still love my Merkur and Tech.. have a Superspeed Bluetip that is nice for starting also..

Wayne

What I like about the Merkur HD is the heft and feel in the hand. You can feel that the Merkur are of better manufacturing quality. (And, much more expensive, too.) The new releases look great--I'd love to get myself a Barber pole slant. (In fact, I will....) ;-)

I have a 38c barber pole, 39c slant sledgehammer, mergress (modified progress) and a Vision 2000, if I had to pick one I would say the mergress it gives very close comfortable fast and consistent shaves, maybe not as close as some of the others but I can shave faster with it then the others, almost always irritation free and I don't adjust it at all.

It seems no-one has mentioned the Merkur Futur. Similar price-range to the 38c, but much better. Very close and comfortable shaves, and it looks great too. Definately my new go-to razor.

I'm in agreement with FaPat5, before I had found B&B I purchased a Futur and love it. It and my Gillette Slim Adjustable would be the only razor's I would have if SWMBO said only two. Let us know what you decide.

I just sold my Futur and am keeping the Progress. It gives me the best shave out of all the razors I've tried. Of course, proper prep, lather, blade and technique also have a little something to do with it.

I have the classic, the 25C (open comb) and the 37G (slant).Don't really know the classic since my dad doesn't give it back to me but I like the other two very much : the open comb is very forgiving and easy and I allways use it when I try some new blades, the slant is giving this great close shave in only a few passes.

Top Bottom