What's new

How many shaves per blade?

Just wondering how many shaves you folks get per blade?

I mean good, comfortable shaves.... not enduring a blunt blade for economy reasons! :001_smile

I've found I get 3 for every blade I try. 4 is really pushing it. I do 3-4 passes plus touch-ups.

Does this sound about right?

I get 3/4 out of most blades (derby & IP in my case). I can get 5/6/7 outta some blades like white pack Wilkinsons and Gillette Swedes.

Others (which I don't use), I get only one mediocre shave.

idem
i can get around 3-4 shaves with derby or gillette blue extra or polsiver.
do not remerber about feather and now trying wilkinson (B.A.D may be:blushing:)

i just got a kriss kross stropping machine in the mail today, so the skies might be the limit for me :biggrin:

but seriously, usually about 4 for DE blades and 2 for SE blades (gem blue star)

I usually change every 3. I've gotten 4 out of Feathers and Swedish Gillettes. Never pushed the Swedes more than that though.

Those of whom that are getting up to 7 shaves out of their Swedes, are you doing multiple passes per shave?

3-5, depending in the blade. Of those I've tried, feathers have the shortest life, sputniks the longest.

Ok, tomorrow will mark the one month annversary of my first shave with the slant. In the time, I have used 3 blades and am now on my fourth.

Merkur - 7 Shaves
Derby - 8 Shaves
Feather - 9 Shaves
Red Israeli Personnas - 3 and still in use.

I normally get 3-5 really good shaves, and 2-4 more decent ones from my DE. When I use a DE or SE, I am normally shaving in the shower, so the blades seem to last a bit longer. For the DE, I normally use some Israeli made blades, or some that I think are marked "Zorrick" from India. I bought them in bulk years ago for a song, and I am still using them. For SE, I use whatever I can find, and get about 3-4 shaves out of them. I have not found as much variance in performance with SE blades as I have between the different brands of DE blades.

-Mb

I change my blade every Sunday morning before Church. This always seems fitting to me since Sunday is the first day of the week.

Therefore I get as many as 7 shaves with a blade. Now if I am shaving every single day, I will admit that the blade gets a bit rough. Almost all my shaves are 4 pass shaves. And lately I have been shaving 4 or 5 times in a week so that works out fairly well.

A DE Blade can actually last a lot longer than what most of us run them for. In most foreign countries where DE still rules the market, they don't just throw these out after 3 shaves. Basically, if you pop in a blade and a shave is bad even though your prep was top notch, throw it out, and pop in a new blade. If the shave was good, keep it for next time. That's the rule to follow. Some blades last longer in some razors than in others. Some blades of the same brand exhibit super whisker slicing power than the others right beside them. It all varies. I've been using a Supermax Stainless blade now since Saturday. It's still going!

Top Bottom