What's new

Absinthe – A newb’s eye view

After having learned about Absinthe from the movie “From Hell” starring Johnny Depp, I’ve long had a burning curiosity to try this mysterious spirit. I did a modicum of on-line research and learned to my chagrin that it was not available for purchase in the United States. As I am one who greatly prefers make my purchases from actual stores, that ended my exploration almost as suddenly as it began. Then quite serendipitously while perusing here, I learned that quite recently Absinthe is now legally sold in the U.S. The next day, I stopped on my way home from work and was faced with a decision as they had two different labels to choose from. One was Lucid, the other was Absente. Not knowing one from the other, I chose the Absente. I’ve since learned that this label is considered by some die hard Absinthe connoisseurs to be a pastis and not be true absinthe, however from the perspective of a newbie, I will say that it does have the key ingredients and is made from wormwood (albeit a different type, yet not all whiskies and beers use the same hops and barley do they) but contains lower (almost insignificant) levels of thujone. In my humble but correct opinion, it should still count. On to my review.

My first impression upon opening the bottle was the very pungent anise scent. I poured about a jigger into my glass and swirled it around and tested the nose again. The whiskey glass I used funneled the aroma nicely and the more subtle characteristics became apparent. The color (which the bottle freely admits to being artificial) was a pleasant green, which I found to be most appealing. Not having an absinthe spoon or sugar cubs at hand, I simply took a teaspoon of sugar and slowly poured ice cold distilled water over the spoon until it had dissolved away and there was about a 3 to 1 water to absinthe ratio in the glass. I then noticed the louche effect which was a wonderful progression from the bottom of the glass to the top of the spirit. Small trails of the oils present also swirled at the top of the mixture and slowly dissipated. I swirled the glass again to dissolve the sugar a bit more and even out the mix. Finally, the taste. The anise flavor was of course the first thing that I noticed, but the other subtleties soon made their presence known. A tad sweeter than I would have expected the overall experience was very nice and before the night was over I had indulged in two more glasses.

In conclusion I found my first dance with the green fairy to be most agreeable. While I am a whisky connoisseur first an foremost, I do enjoy indulging in the complexities of wine and beer from time to time and now I have another option to enjoy as well. I will be interested to try a different label (probably Lucid) just to compare the differences between what die hard absinthe drinkers call true absinthe as opposed to the Absente, but this bottle must be completed first, somehow I don’t think that will be a problem. For any other newbs out there who are curious to try this spirit, I highly recommend it, but be warned, the alcohol content is high so it isn’t for the faint of heart.

Take Care !
80s

what's your take on the high alcohol vs. thujone issue? do you think it was the alcohol that got to people or the thujone? I've read articles that go both ways on the subject. sounds like you enjoyed it, at any rate. I've been considering getting a bottle of that stuff for ages, but was a little deterred when I read that the only psychoactive property of absinthe was the high alcohol concentration. oops, did I say that out loud? here's the link to the Science Daily article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080429120905.htm

what's your take on the high alcohol vs. thujone issue? do you think it was the alcohol that got to people or the thujone?

Absente is thujone and Grande Wormwood free. It has been available for years in the USA even before the "ban" was lifted. Absent(e)

Absente is thujone and Grande Wormwood free. It has been available for years in the USA even before the "ban" was lifted. Absent(e)

Yes, something I was not aware of at the time of my purchase. As this is supposedly the case I would have to say that the high alcohol content was undoubtedly the cause of my comfortable buzz which kicked in during the second glass.

Based on the article you've referenced geordie, it is logical to assume that is the case with all absinthes, however as I have only my first tasting to go by, I'll reserve that the right to make that assumption until after I try some other labels. :biggrin:

I would suggest Kubler 53 as a good starting absinthe brand. A fairly inexpensive and light tasting blanche that is available most places that carry Lucid and others. I was importing this stuff by the litre before it was available here in the USA, the shipping alone cost what a litre does here.

So is that the consensus? Kubler over Lucid?

So far I've only found the Lucid in my area but I can leep looking while I work on my current bottle of Absente.

Or will I not be disappointed with either one?

I would be willing to bet that you couldn't go wrong either way, but I really like Absinthe in general and I'm not picky. At the prices I've seen for the U.S. stuff here in KY, I'll probably stick with my old source and import, as long as I order multiple bottles I'll save money per bottle. If you decide to try the Euro stuff I'd recommend any of the Un Emile variations (French), they're all really good. Also N.S., Serpis, and Deva are all good cheaper Spanish alternatives with a heavier anise flavor (although Serpis makes an anise-free variation if you might like that better). Of course if you are a big spender, shoot for a Swiss absinthe as they are pretty much the best.

Oh, BTW, a good way to sweeten your Absinthe without having a sugar sludge in the bottom of your glass is to use some homemade simple syrup (although the spoons and cubes method is a must sometimes). Splenda also works well if you don't want to add sugar and calories.

Grande Absente Absinthe Originale is new and uses Grande Wormood though. The original USA Absente uses Southern Wormwood. The Euro version of Absente always used Grande Wormwood.

La Clandestine and Nouvelle Orleans will be avaialble this Fall - the recipe must be changed though for the US consumer, as they are 30mg + & 20mg + thujone resepctively in their original European form.

La Clandestine's distiller also make a verte using Grand Wormwood in the post distillation colouring stage and that must be a thujone bomb....so you can't have that thanks to the FDA.

I would suggest Kubler 53 as a good starting absinthe brand. A fairly inexpensive and light tasting blanche that is available most places that carry Lucid and others. I was importing this stuff by the litre before it was available here in the USA, the shipping alone cost what a litre does here.

Hey MT!

I've found a couple places that carry the Kubler 53 in the area. The wife and kids will be going out of town for a few days next week and I'm considering taking a day off of work for some R & R. What a better time to try one of the Grande Wormwood brands.

Anyway my question to you and any other absinthe connoisseurs is, which of the two available to me, Kubler 53 or Lucid would you recommend? I ask becasue you say that the Kubler is a good "starting absinthe brand". I have fairly refined tastes so it isn't necessary for me to be "broken in" with a lighter version. But if the Kubler is a better quality label then by all means I'm willing to try it.

Also, I would be interested to know you gentlemen's opinions on how Kubler and Lucid compare to the Absente (which I have REALLY developed an affinity for). By that I mean taste, nose, quality of the louche, etc. I appreciate your feedback and guidance as I continue on this new and so far very enjoyable journey.

Thanks,
80s

"80s",

I haven't tasted Lucid or Absente, so I can't compare them to Kübler. But I can tell you that Kübler is certainly not just a light "beginner's absinthe". It's true that it does have a "pleasant" taste, but it's certainly not "simple", on the contrary, it's complex and interesting. You should definitely try it.

Jan Pieter

Of the two brands you cite the Kubler is a better value and IMO it ages much better than the Lucid. I was enthralled with the Lucid at first as the first legal absinthe available in nearly a century in the USA, but after rediscovering my stash and trying an aged dose it didn't hold up very well. Neither the Kubler nor the Lucid is overly complex but the Kubler is the better of the two for my tastes anyway. The lucid is a verte and the Kubler a blanche if that influences your choice. Like jpKunst said it, the Kubler, is a real and true absinthe.

I was able to try a few more of the USA legal brands over the past weekend, and what a great weekend it was!! I had my first tastes of Le Torment, aptly named IMO, like a neon blue green mouthwash. The St. George was much better and the, hopefully, soon to be available Marteau was a real treat, absinthe dessert we called it. There were a few more brands, some HG's and a few Martini's mixed in here and there, but not surprisingly my memory fails me now.

The St. George was much better and the, hopefully, soon to be available Marteau was a real treat, absinthe dessert we called it. There were a few more brands, some HG's and a few Martini's mixed in here and there, but not surprisingly my memory fails me now.

My memory was fuzzier than I thought. :smile: It was not the St. George I had but the Canadian made Taboo, a very nice absinthe.

Thank you for the feedback.

I've been all over the absinthe websites and tried to find out as much as I can. Untimately, the two labels seem to stack up about even in the reviews I've read. While I like the look of a verte, the overall taste is what I'm more interested in. I'll mull it over until I have the house to myself (hopefully next week) and will proabbly make my decision right there in the store. Who knows perhaps I'll come across some Taboo when that day comes.

In the meantime I've been fortunate to find some small slotted serving spoons which work very nicely in the preparation ritual (which to me is just as important to the enjoyment of absinthe as the spirit it's self).

Thanks again, I'll report back after I dance with the green fairie.

80s

St. George is my new favorite. Unlike others which are overpowered by anise, this one is incredibly well balanced, with other interesting notes, such as lemon and cinnamon coming through. Outstanding, and pricey.

Lucid disappointed, especially for $60-70. Kubler is definitely preferred, and a better deal at around $50 for a liter.

Mata Hari is a new one I've picked up. It is peculiar tasting, very herbaceous, and is made without anise. Their claim is "the highest legal level of Thujon and Absinthin." It is in a pretty bottle, but, based on the flavor, I'd pass.

Hey all,

Sorry I've been so long getting back. The wife didn't go out of town until much later than I had expected.

Any way the very morning that she left, I paid a visit to my new favorite liquor store an decided on Kubler 53. It killed me to have to wait until I got home that evening to uncork that bottle but all good things to those who wait. As it is, on a pure whim I stopped by a bar on the way home that I have never visited before. They had Lucid, so I tried it.

Lucid compared to the Absente was definately a more mature flavor, yet I personally found it to be a bit "bitey" not bad but considering the price, I would have stayed with Absente, real absinthe or not.

When I got home I made sure to settle in well and then went for the Kubler. The nose was very nice. Aromatic and rich, my thoughts were not of NyQuil like with the Absente, but more along the lines of Good and Plenty. Then the louche, honestly this is the one area I'll give the Absente higher marks (if only slightly). The Kubler did louche well, but not as satisfying to the eye. But most importantly, the taste, smooth and rich, I really couldn't believe is was such a high proof drink. This was a bit scary as by the end of my fourth glass I was feeling NO pain and was gliding along a very confortable buzz. (The buzz of fairy wings perhaps, hmmmm.) Good thing I had taken off work the next day. I thoroughly enjoyed it and between the two (three counting the Lucid), there is no comparison, I'm now a Kubler fan.

I'm still a scotch drinker first and foremost but I do feel my horizons have been broadened.

Enjoy!

80s

Top Bottom