What's new

Crest ProHelath Causes Teeth Stains!?

So I've been using Crest ProHealth for a while, both toothpaste and mouthwash.

I see the dentist 2x a year and typically have small amounts of staining due to coffee that's easily removed.

Lately, I've noticed a very disturbing looking brown stain appearing between some of my lower teeth.

I happened to stumble across a comment about ProHealth causing stains so I did some google-search.

Folks, you can do what you want, but I'm not using this stuff anymore.

Google: crest pro health stain teeth

Here's one of the top articles:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/329105/crest_pro_health_toothpaste_and_rinse.html?cat=5

Interesting - I noticed the same thing and just thought it was due to coffee, tea, etc.

About a few weeks ago I switched to using Arm & Hammer and most of the staining is gone.

I'm not saying that the ProHealth was the cause of the problem, but I switched toothpastes and noticed a change - all other variables were the same.

I've been using the toothpaste for probably as long as it's been available, at least 2 years, and have no problem. Never heard of any problems until I read your post and your link. So, not sure what the deal is.

nothing but Winterfresh flavored Colgate Cavity Protection for me (and maybe aquafresh) Everything else makes my mouth hurt, ESPECIALLY crest prohealth

So I've been using Crest ProHealth for a while, both toothpaste and mouthwash.

I see the dentist 2x a year and typically have small amounts of staining due to coffee that's easily removed.

Lately, I've noticed a very disturbing looking brown stain appearing between some of my lower teeth.

I happened to stumble across a comment about ProHealth causing stains so I did some google-search.

Folks, you can do what you want, but I'm not using this stuff anymore.

Google: crest pro health stain teeth

Here's one of the top articles:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/329105/crest_pro_health_toothpaste_and_rinse.html?cat=5
I've been using it for a while now and I thought I was noticing my teeth not as white as they used to be, thanks for the heads-up

I stopped by Target on my way home today to get some Colgate and some Listerene.

All the ProHealth stuff is in the trash.

Luckily I have my 6 month check-up and cleaning in August so they can get rid of these horrible brown spots.:mad:

We (gf) have been using crest pro health for well over a year. We both visit out dentist regularly. I have always had very healthy and white teeth. My teeth do not show any staining as presented here. I don't know if we are lucky or the results are bogus and a ploy to discourage use of the product.

I looked up the ingredients for Crest Pro Health, and sure enough, my suspicions were confirmed: the no. 1 ingredient is Stannous Fluoride. SWMBO is in the dental business (as well as both her siblings and a brother-in-law) and they advise against using toothpaste with this stuff in it for this very reason. Most of the "sensitivity" toothpastes use stannous as opposed to sodium fluoride.

We (gf) have been using crest pro health for well over a year. We both visit out dentist regularly. I have always had very healthy and white teeth. My teeth do not show any staining as presented here. I don't know if we are lucky or the results are bogus and a ploy to discourage use of the product.

I can assure you that my stains are real.

It is very disappointing because I really like the toothpaste and the mouth rinse - except for the brown stains.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I looked up the ingredients for Crest Pro Health, and sure enough, my suspicions were confirmed: the no. 1 ingredient is Stannous Fluoride. SWMBO is in the dental business (as well as both her siblings and a brother-in-law) and they advise against using toothpaste with this stuff in it for this very reason. Most of the "sensitivity" toothpastes use stannous as opposed to sodium fluoride.

:001_huh:

good to know!

I switched back to Pro Health recently and just got the Sonicare and was waiting for these stains to disappear, but they're not. It hasn't even been a week with the Sonicare yet, though. But anyway, I never noticed these stains between the teeth before. I'll be switching, maybe to the Arm & Hammer I already saw mentioned.

Well....this is certainly interesting.

After being a Listerine Original Formula guy for years, I switched to Crest Pro Health Care rinse about 8 months ago to eliminate the alcohol from my routine and because of the incredibly fresh mouth feel I get after using the Crest product.

At my last dental cleaning the technician was amazed by the amount of staining b/w my front lower teeth. She and I both concluded it might be from too much coffee, but I could tell that she wasn't entirely convinced since my daily coffee intake has remained fairly consistent for many years.

Due to a pretty rigid dental routine of three times daily, 2 minute electric brushing via a Sonicare brush, nightly flossing and twice daily mouth wash, I usually spend about 10 minutes in the chair for my bi-annual cleanings and have never had a cavity (I'm 41 y.o.). imagine my surprise when it took my dental tech 30+ minutes to scrape my lower teeth.

So....while this may prove to be the latest urban myth it certainly fits with my experience.

Thanks for the heads up Homer!

i had the same staining issues with the prohealth mouthwash. i was freaking out trying to figure what was causing it. i also had just switched to natural dentist toothpaste and thought maybe it was the culprit and used the prohealth more, haha. then i read a post, here i believe, and bells went off.

i had my dentist get the stains off, pitched the prohealth, no more worries

the stains will come off; as i just visited the dentist last week; but dangit; i did the same thing; increased the number of times i brushed and mouthwashed; and the whole time, that was the culprit; well i guess i will be ditching mine as well;

and toothpaste recommendations? (i generally prefer a gel to a paste, the paste seems to increase mucus)

I just picked up some Colgate gel 'advanced' or something. It says something about fresh breath for 12 hours.

I don't think the staining is from the toothpaste version. Rather it's the mouthwash version that causes the staining. That is why I use mouthwash first then brush so my teeth don't get stain.

Top Bottom