What's new

Wall-E

I just saw it with my girlfriend last night. I highly recommend it. Its much deeper and darker than other Pixar movies. I think it was very bold of Disney/Pixar to make such an indy style movie stock full of social commentary.

On the surface it is another cute Disney movie. I think adults can take a lot more away from the ingenious story telling of how two robots learn to show emotion.

I saw it as well and enjoyed it. I think Ed's comments are very accurate especially for adult viewers.

Great movie kinda forbods to what may come, great kids movie and i hate admit this but actual descent couples movie ( i was in the doghouse b4 the movie and all was forgiven by the end)

They have been putting political themes in disney/pixar movies for a while, just look at Cars (big busniess stamping out small town america), finding Nemo (humans basicly rape nature), bug's life (controling a population by fear) and the list goes on and on.

Plan on watching it tonight. One of the theaters by me is showing it in digital format. I am really looking forward to it.

I also loved the cinematography (if you can call it that). It felt like there was an actual camera man, and to some effect, a real camera.

I think it was very bold of Disney/Pixar to make such an indy style movie stock full of social commentary.

Yawn. Thanks for the review. I was going to watch it, but I don't like paying upwards of $8 to be lectured by some liberals. I can get that for free. Maybe when it comes out on DVD (optimally RedBox for $1)

I'll have to pass on it too. I was looking for a family movie, not an indy movie bristling with social commentary. I can catch that on NBC.

Yawn. Thanks for the review. I was going to watch it, but I don't like paying upwards of $8 to be lectured by some liberals. I can get that for free. Maybe when it comes out on DVD (optimally RedBox for $1)

No, don't get the wrong idea. Maybe I made it sound more prevalent than it really is. I think you are doing yourself an injustice if you write something off that quickly. It is NOT a liberal film, it is NOT an indie film, it is NOT bristling with social commentary, it is NOT a lecture.

What it is:
-a good family movie
-a good kids movie
-a good date movie
-a good love story

I think the movie pokes more fun on the human's reliance on technology than their wasteful ways. I say "the human's" because in no way does the movie insinuate that the people in the film are us. I think more than anything it was a simple love story portrayed in a somewhat hauntingly manner. I saw it more of a fictional look at a future than a "THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE KEEP THIS UP". We can all probably take a lesson and slow down our lives a bit, like when the lady realized they had a pool, and how beautiful the stars were.

I plan to go see it. Pixar/Disney movies are some of the very few consistently enjoyable productions out there any more, and they make a great product (although Ratatouille didn't thrill me).

Yes, the topic may be particularly relevant to current issues concerning us, but consider this - a great many sci-fi movies-stories have very similar themes. I can't tell you how many I have read that give a futuristic picture of a planet earth that has been overwhelmed by nuclear holocaust/overpopulation/squandering of natural resources. Read the robot stories of Asimov. Almost always they paint a bleak picture of the future of this planet. We don't blink an eye now, because the scenarios they depict seem totally implausible to us, but at the time they were written, they were no doubt just as topical. I love the new Battlestar Galactica series, and they depict an earth, long-since abandoned, that has undergone some massive cataclysmic event.

I've never found the Pixar movies to be too preachy. Yes, they may incorporate topical themes, but never to the point that they sacrifice telling a good story with excellent visuals.

I'll be going to see it. With as few good movies that come out any more, I try to support the ones that are consistent, especially when they are also family-friendly.

Just took my kids to see this, I really enjoyed it. Yeah there was a "social" message attached to it, but it wasn't like it was one that I felt like I was being beaten over the head with. It was much more about two robots learning how to express emotions.

Oh and the short at the beginning was hysterical. Need to get me a couple of those hats!

I've been debating Get Smart or Wall-E for later this week... and was leaning towards Get Smart. Your review didn't help my indecisiveness. :tongue: Thanks and glad you enjoyed it!

Wall e is a very good family film, with a love story at its center and enough
social commentary, regardless of your political afiliation, that will keep the adult's attention. But I didn't think it was in the same class as past Pixar films, like the Incredibles or the Toy Story Films. I don't know, I just didn't respond to the robot love story. I need the human element.

It was pretty good. The hippie dippie tree hugger crap is more of a background bit than anything. Most folks won't notice it. It was the only thing that I found to be negative in the whole movie.

It was pretty good. The hippie dippie tree hugger crap is more of a background bit than anything. Most folks won't notice it. It was the only thing that I found to be negative in the whole movie.

Yes, it was pretty good. But what's with the "tree hugger crap" crap? What's that really called for?
And really, what is it that you find "negative" about wanting to take care of the planet? or not being wasteful?

Yes, it was pretty good. But what's with the "tree hugger crap" crap? What's that really called for?
And really, what is it that you find "negative" about wanting to take care of the planet? or not being wasteful?
....Haven't seen the movie but the term "crap" in this context usually refers to those who preach more than they practice......

Hey man I wasn't trying to hijack this thread nor was I out pick a fight. I'm just tired of all the propaganda that gets buried in children's entertainment these days. I think we should clean up after ourselves, but IMHO for the most part we do a decent job of it already. The things we don't clean up well, are being worked on and progress is being made. Every year, we get a little greener on our own without anyone forcing it down our throats.

I notice you immediately tried to paint me as some sort of wasteful anti-environment type. That is a type that I am not sure exists. If there is a section around here for controversial topics, we can get into the rest of it there.

I'll have to pass on it too. I was looking for a family movie, not an indy movie bristling with social commentary. I can catch that on NBC.

This seems to be the general tone of the dissenters, so don't feel like I 'm talking to you directly.

1. Wouldn't a good family movie keep all members of the family intertested? Disney's been doing that for decades.

2. Indy movie? Um, Pixar's one of the largest production studios in the world. How is this indy? Or liberal (via another post)?

3. Every Pixar movie has some sort of social commentary, from Toy Story on down. It's how they've been so successful, keeping the adults entertained. That helps when the kids want to see the movie in the theater multiple times.

With all this said, I usually watch my Pixar films at home (I've seen and enjoyed everyone, except Toy Story 2, to which I've done neither). I like my Home Theater setup. I've gotten a good return on my investment so far.

I think I will enjoy seeing Wall-E. I need a good film to compensate for the crap movie I just saw the other day....."The Happening". I said to my wife as we walked into the theater, "This is going to be bad. We are the only two people in a large stadium theater". I was right.

Top Bottom