What's new

Soap Scum Removal from Gold Razors

What's the best, safest way to remove soap deposits from the razor and keep it like new? I'd also appreciate information on where to buy, as I have been looking for Maas but can't find it.

I have had great success with a couple quick squirts of scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush. I don't let it soak for more than a minute and then rinse clean with hot water.
I've heard of folks using dish soap with good results although I've not used it myself.

Hot tap water and OxyClean soak. Brush gently with soft old toothbrush. Rinse. Follow with scrubbing bubbles, light brushing, hot tap water rinse, then dry with soft cloth.

RE the windex recommendation above, don't use the type with ammonia --it'll corrode brass, so if there's any brassing it'll make the brassing worse.

Don't boil, don't use bleach, don't use vinegar or other mild, acidic items.

-- John Gehman

edit: ...and *don't* use MAAS on a gold razor.

great thread I had to learn this the hard way myself.. as I'm sure a few other have as well! Personally I've had trouble with scrubbing bubbles so I don't use them at all.. may have had bleach it which called brassing in no time. Personally I soak any razor in a plastic tub with warm water and dish soap.. them scrub away with a toothbrush. BroJohn's advice is best around.. and yeah, no mass on them gold ones!
I'm gonna have to try OxyClean in the future..

I use barbicide after every shave to cut down on scum. I rinse it off, dip in the barbicide, then take it out to dry. I find this keeps the scum from building, and breaks down old scum film very easily.

Not sure about what impact this would have on the gold razors, but I was able to clean a recently purchased silver one that was quite dirty with CLR and a toothbrush. Cleaned up beautifully.

Not sure about what impact this would have on the gold razors, but I was able to clean a recently purchased silver one that was quite dirty with CLR and a toothbrush. Cleaned up beautifully.

Gold razors are funny because they have a lacquer coating over the gold coating, which is over a silver coating. If you go too deep or harsh, you lose one, and the other is not very far behind. CLR is pretty strong/corrosive from what I remember, so applying it to a gold razor, at least, is not something I would recommend. I have found some barbicide and a soft bristled tooth brush along with a cloth will get rid of most scum and dirt, and as a side effect dis-infected them.

Maas is an excellent metal cleaner available in most high end hardware stores or on the web. I just use dishwashing detergent and a soft child's toothbrush between each use. I don't run the toothbrush over the surface of lacquered razors, as it makes hairline scratches in the lacquer, I just wipe the outer doors off.

Best,

Ive used Simple Green and a toothbrush with good results. I also use Simple Green on my every day razors about once a week or so and they shine up very nicely.

Hot tap water and OxyClean soak. Brush gently with soft old toothbrush. Rinse. Follow with scrubbing bubbles, light brushing, hot tap water rinse, then dry with soft cloth..

++1 on the OxyClean soak, BroJohn.

I stumbled on the OxyClean soak after trying a bunch of things, and it seems to be the most aggressive and effective thing I've tried, with zero downside even using high concentrations. It's a bit of a hassle to fully dissolve, but worth it.

Great stuff, really effective for gold razors. Seems to gently soften and lift junk, and gold comes out brighter. Don't know why. And hey, it bubbles, too.

++1 on the OxyClean soak, BroJohn.

I stumbled on the OxyClean soak after trying a bunch of things, and it seems to be the most aggressive and effective thing I've tried, with zero downside even using high concentrations. It's a bit of a hassle to fully dissolve, but worth it.

Great stuff, really effective for gold razors. Seems to gently soften and lift junk, and gold comes out brighter. Don't know why. And hey, it bubbles, too.

. . . and you wouldn't believe the gunk that Oxyclean will flush out of an old TTO razor.

Does a nice job, easy to use, gentle on the razor. A winning combo all around.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom