What's new

Brooklyn Brewery

Tucked in an old Matzo Factory a few blocks north of the Bedford Ave. stop on the L subway line sits the Brooklyn Brewery.

If you want to sample fresh, incredibly good beer, basically straight from the vat, don't hesitate, just go there with some friends and enjoy the ambiance and drinks.

I'll say this, I'm definitely going back.

We get their stuff in the Boston area and they are one of my faves. I like the Monster Barley wine and their dark stout in the winter. Brooklyn Brown year round! I'm sure they have some nice specials straight from the tank.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I work within walking distance of them, and fell in the tank a few times.

Their chocolate stout is a winner.

Has anyone tried the Local 1? Ever since watching the little promotional video for it on the website I've wanted to try one, but I have a feeling nothing in Arizona is offering it...

Has anyone tried the Local 1? Ever since watching the little promotional video for it on the website I've wanted to try one, but I have a feeling nothing in Arizona is offering it...

I tried Local 1 and it was one of the few Brooklyn special offerings that didn't knock my socks off. Its part of the new thing brewers are doing - big ales fermented with Beligan yeasts. So it's kind of like a strong ale with hints of belgian style beer due to the yeasts used. They probably aged it on wood to boot as that is pretty hip these days as well. I like some of the offerings in this new "extreme, crossover style", just didn't care for this particular one.

I think their year-round offerings are mediocre, with the Brown being the best. Nothing bad about them, but nothing particularly noteworthy either.

From what I've had, the seasonals are pretty good. I know their mast brewer, Gareth, is highly respected in the industry.

Brooklyn Brewery is a great place, and ask anyone in the industry, Garret Oliver (the brewmaster) is one of the nicest guys around. Anybody that enjoys beer and food should read his book, "the Brewmaster's Table" Great read, ands great advice.

As far as the Local One, it would have to be my favorite Brooklyn beer. By far the best american made belgian triple, and rivals or beats many belgian triples. True to style, outrageously complex, and beautifully made. At the price they charge, its almost like you're stealing it. I'd happily pay almost double the price.

Just be sure to drink it at the proper temperature.

Top Bottom