What's new

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals

I've enjoyed reading some of the comments on this thread, and I feel it's a good a place as any to write about a realisation I had recently about why I like wet shaving.

I'm in my early 20s, and caring about your grooming isn't something that is especially popular amongst men of my age. But the real reason why I enjoy this hobby is that it's difficult. Nearly everything has been "improved" so it's as easy as it can possibly be (and as quick, which makes this post somewhat on-topic). Traditional wet shaving has a learning curve that doesn't really ever end - it's an everyday part of life that requires a little bit of concentration; and what better act to concentrate on than scraping a razor blade across your face? :w00t:

Also, I love it because I've got a choice of scents in soaps/creams - you don't get that with goop in a can!

CM

I've enjoyed reading some of the comments on this thread, and I feel it's a good a place as any to write about a realisation I had recently about why I like wet shaving.

I'm in my early 20s, and caring about your grooming isn't something that is especially popular amongst men of my age. But the real reason why I enjoy this hobby is that it's difficult. Nearly everything has been "improved" so it's as easy as it can possibly be (and as quick, which makes this post somewhat on-topic). Traditional wet shaving has a learning curve that doesn't really ever end - it's an everyday part of life that requires a little bit of concentration; and what better act to concentrate on than scraping a razor blade across your face? :w00t:

Also, I love it because I've got a choice of scents in soaps/creams - you don't get that with goop in a can!

CM

You are wise beyond your years CM.

We appreciate the "art" in things, the craft necessary to accomplish something. Evidence for this is the rise in popularity of micro-breweries, and artisanal distilleries. Fashion, whether it be in accessories like watches or hats, also displays the resurgence of "craft" as a factor in our choices. Not all of us can rebuild a big block motor, or rewire our homes. But we all shave . . . and taking control of the most basic of our grooming rituals allows us to express our own personal "craft" in ways that we can all look to and appreciate.

The fact that it allows us to have some time in our day to indulge ourselves away from the stresses we normally deal with is simply the icing on the proverbial cake.

This is an excellent post. Kudos to the OP!

Time is a thief, unless we bar the doors and windows to our hearts.

As I've "matured" (56 as I write this) I've intentionally slowed down to enjoy various aspects of my life: taking time for a good cigar, a 20-minute shave, a soak in the tub, a dram of Scotch accompanied by good conversation, dressing for dinner, reading a book printed on paper, holding the door for a lady, a manly cologne, writing a letter on fine paper with a fountain pen, noticing and valuing the beauty of nature, a cuddle with my wife, my grandson's laugh.

Being created as a man is a blessing, as well as a responsibility, from God. We should rise to the task and live it.

What a great post!

In a few days I'll turn 72. I feel terrific and do not dread it. I cannot, however, keep my mind from turning to the late 40's and early 50's.

I remember my dad's shaving routine. His discussions with friends of the merits of the Gillette blue blade opposed to the red thin. I think of automobiles with personality and flying saucers, but mostly at this time of year, the department store windows with wonderful displays. The greatest thing in the world was an electric train running through a land filled with BB guns and wind up tanks.

Mainly due to medical advances I wouldn't go back, but I regret my children, grandchildren, and most of y'all missed those times.

I hope all of you have very happy and safe holidays, Ron I

I enjoy this hobby is that it's difficult.

I don't see anything difficult in DE shaving,I can shave in 5 minutes flat with the same "easiness" I do with a disposable or cartridge razor (in fact disposables and cartridge razors make me shave SLOWER cause they don't have enough blade exposure and gunk up)

Traditional wet shaving has a learning curve that doesn't really ever end

Sorry to break your bubble but is DOES end,for me it ended around 1982 (I started shaving in 1980 and I have only used DE razors my whole life). Ever since I have been performing the same 5 minute ,4 pass,BBS shave everyday of my life :001_smile

Last edited:
Guys, this post got me thinking...

I have to tell you I am a truly lucky guy. My wife doesn't work. How does that make me lucky? Well, like me she feels that if she isn't working her job is to not only be a house wife but to be the best housewife she can. Our house is always clean, I want for nothing and unless I'm BBQing dinner is always ready when I get home from work. My wife also works out a couple of hours a day, not only to stay in shape but because she knows I find her attractive as she is now.

None of this is meant to sound shallow, but I am blessed to have a wife that sees our household in what many would call a "traditional" sense. I have a modern wife with a much more responsible mentality that many think was lost with our Grandparents (or parents for some of you older gents). :biggrin:

Mine too and it's the way it used to be and should still be. Wife works and nanny raises and socializes kids. Wife works and you and she can drift apart. Wife works and meal quality is at risk.

Only the government and the tax man thank women for working. I appreciate the sense of independence etc... but, as an old soul, I do not appreciate the impact on society. We wouldn't need day care much if we still had traditional family structure.

i wish for everyone here a similar moment of timeless indulgence. in the day to day flow of obligation and expectation, i encourage you to find a moment to ignore the demands of the clock and take pleasure in this mutual interest we all share. gentlemen, i wish for you all a truly excellent shave.

I totally agree with every thing you said. It seems that we are always in a hurry. We should enjoy the moment instead of rushing it :001_smile

I find my self in a lot of comments here. Op is totally right! And the pleasure of shavings I've got every time I do it, is also recognised by wife! She once discribed this routine as kind of spa done at home and she was kind of jealous ;-)! And this is a quite big compliment if you ask me! She also uses sometimes my soap and creams for shaving, but she doesn't like the usually manly smell of it...

Yes it is a lot of old school values have gone. Every thing now days is at a fast pace, what started me off on this road was on the 23rd June 2014 I had a heart attack and then a stroke being only 51 at the time its opened my eyes yes I have started a new life and hence this road I'm on now everyone needs to slow down we are humans not robots

Very well stated sir! I love my new found (i began shaving with cartridges and with no one to teach me) ritual. My brother thinks i'm crazy and constantly remarks how 20 minutes is just too long to spend shaving. I told him, "that's because you see it as a chore that has to be done...do it and get it over with. I see it as my own personal almost meditative time to relax and enjoy all the senses. The massaging touch of the brush, the scent of the soap/cream...something no can of goo comes close to, the focus of the shave itself, and the smooth and comfortable feeling of my face after i've shaved, then the smell and cooling feeling from the post shave. There is just so much to enjoy!" His response, "yeah, i still don't get it." I actually feel sorry for him. I told him he should at least try a brush and soap so he can enjoy healthier skin and a scent of his choice that will be 100% better than his canned stuff.

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree @CookieMonster
At 26 I enjoy things that require skill and love learning. This was right up my alley. Aside from also enjoying the different combinations of the variables in this hobby.

"20 minutes"? That would be a screaming rush for me. In a hurry I could manage 35 minutes for shower and shave, but more typically I take 45-50 minutes. I don't have to shave, and I'm retired, so I do it just because I want to and when I want to (at night). I love the ritual.

The OP mentioned "cruise liner giving way to the jet liner" or some such. For overland travel I far prefer Rail. A cabin on a train = Luxury!

"20 minutes"? That would be a screaming rush for me. In a hurry I could manage 35 minutes for shower and shave, but more typically I take 45-50 minutes. I don't have to shave, and I'm retired, so I do it just because I want to and when I want to (at night). I love the ritual.

The OP mentioned "cruise liner giving way to the jet liner" or some such. For overland travel I far prefer Rail. A cabin on a train = Luxury!

+1

Top Bottom