What's new

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals

I'm 28 years old. It seems to me there is no gentalmanly acts around anymore. Such as but not limited to shaving and the little thing such as opening the door for your gal. I'm as guilty as the next with all the technology we have. It has ruined conversation. Take a look around when your out at a bar sometime. Everyone is buried in their phones, not conversation. I got into de shaving because of the nostalgia. Sure its fun and cool. Well cool to all of us anyhow. But everybody is in such a rush these days. So at 28 I'm just going to say, kick back, relax, enjoy life and everybody and everything it has to throw at you

Well played Sir....Well played indeed!!!!! Because of my job (dirty and greasy) I shower in the evening so I shave then too. It really is a treat to spend 1/2 an hour on myself. I agree the world is to rushed. My wife calls it the Mcdonalds syndrome, got to have it now!!!!!

What a grand thread. I wish the modern day would recognize what the bigger-better-faster-more-rush is doing to all of us, but also what more recent generations have done to subsequent generations in an effort to control them. Most people I know under the age of 30 think shaving is something that's done with a machine that one gets at Wally World, and when it stops working well(or gets dirty), you throw it out and go consume another one. There's two reasons I think shaving needs to be treated as though it's a lost art: 1) The modern day rush really has made the old ways go away for many. 2) Suburban soccer moms freak out at the thought of their 11-13 year old child learning to shave with a SE, DE, or *GASP*, a straight razor.

A well-articulated reflection from drandall.
There is a sense of tranquility that comes with shaving, using well-designed tools and software. The hearkening back to simpler times just adds to the enjoyment.

i wish for everyone here a similar moment of timeless indulgence. in the day to day flow of obligation and expectation, i encourage you to find a moment to ignore the demands of the clock and take pleasure in this mutual interest we all share. gentlemen, i wish for you all a truly excellent shave.

That is the most meaningful thing somebody has wished for in a long time.

+1 for the original post. Very well said and a great summation of why we are all so passionate about wet shaving. Thanks for your insightful post.

Wow, incredibly well written/said. I am so glad this got brought back up. Drandall is so right. Everything in life seems to be so time based that we forget to slow down and enjoy the finer things..heck 20 extra minutes in the morning to reflect on yesterday and ponder the day ahead while shaving isn't too much. I look forward to my morning shaves every day just for that 20 minutes where everything around me doesn't matter and its all about me.

Thanks again for ressurecting this thread

It has been a very long time since that was originally posted but it was one of the best posts I have ever read on any forum. In fact, I am going to save that link and reference it when someone asks me about wet shaving. I could never have said it better than the OP.
Well done, sir!

I try to relax with everything that I do but it doesn't always work. I always take my time with shaving though. I spend about 45 minutes from the time I head to the bathroom until I leave the bathroom. I enjoy every minute of it. If I don't have that much time, I don't shave.

This is why I prefer night shaving (and night putting), so I can take my time and not feel rushed. How much time do I need to shave? As much time as is required.

I too have noticed that with all the time we are saving we never seem to have enough. It is like the universe and society both conspire to take all of that "Extra" time away. With all of the pressure I am under, I sometimes wonder how I have not been made into a walking diamond.

I am a gamer and playing computer games is a Zen thing for me. It helps me decompress over the weekend. Also helps me "defrag" my mind. However, since I went back to school, my gaming time got shortened since I can only play games between 10:00pm and 2:00am on Friday and sat.

Wet Shaving had a unexpected bonus. I now can get Zen time 20-35 mins a day while shaving rather than just on the weekend. I found that my mind is sharper and quicker as a result of that daily shaving Zen ritual.
Marvelous recommendation, both for classic shaving, and for computer game playing. I do both, myself. I started playing games on computers about 38 years ago (1976, roughly), although I cannot do so often any longer (Role Play games, other than the awful MMOs, having just about disappeared).

About five weeks away now, is a sixtieth anniversary. On the first day back to school, my Freshman year of High School, the PE coach lined us all up and walked down the line, peering closely for heavy growth of peach fuzz. Mine was blonde, and next best to invisible unless really closely viewed. If I didn't shave, I had an appointment with the Dean of Men, so I started shaving (only three times a week at first).

In the mid-1980s, after an eternity that filled a gap between working in the private sector, and finishing my working career in Academia, I'd had my fill of local civil service, but couldn't get into a job that covered expenses. My excuse for the "fast shave" was two jobs to keep from losing my house. I shaved twice daily, not well, but fast, using a Sensor Excel twin and Edge gel. Once into the habit, my classic instruments only came out on Sundays, until I had a sudden realization that the rush was over. I'd reached retirement already.

That didn't mean I did anything other than return to my pre-rush routine, in which I have never striven for a perfect shave. Two passes are all I make, plus spot-checks and cleanup. I don't time myself. It used to take about 5-6 or so minutes; I doubt that it takes much more than that.

Those minutes are at least twice as long as I was spending on one pass with my Sensor and then cleanup in the car on the way to work, using my cordless Norelco. I'm pleased to see this thread, and to highlight the comment I've quoted.

Top Bottom