What's new

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals

Great post.

Aaron, regarding the Wii, instead of warring with your kids to break their addiction (a fight that will make no one happy), why not join them? I play the Wii with my son (he's 5) almost every night, while my 2-yr-old daughter watches and cheers us on. We race each other in Mario Kart, he helps me gather stars in Super Mario Galaxy, and yesterday I picked up Boom Blox and he and I had a blast trying to knock each other's castles over.

I find it is a great way to interact with my kids after dinner and before bath or bedtime. Technology doesn't have to be the enemy! :001_smile

Just a thought,
Dave

My Grandfather once told me "This world goes so fast, if it goes any faster its going to blow up." Technology is a burden it saves us time so we can do more and enjoy less. As I grow older I find myself resisting modern ideas and ways for things that are simpler, they may require more work, but I find myself truly enjoying it.

+1 and thank you. I am utterly convinced that classic things, items, clothes, etc. are necessities in life. When I decided to pursue DE wetshaving, I remembered back to being a kid and seeing my grandfather shave like that. I think of all the soldiers in WWII and Vietnam that wetshaved. It looks classy and is classy. It may include many new items that, before taking up this hobby, I would've considered feminine just due to multitude of products, but I truly feel more manly.

I enjoy this hobby and take my time with it. I'm actually excited each morning to shave. I feel like a gentleman each time I shave and realize I make myself presentable when I walk outside and go to work.

Life is about quality...enjoy what you do.

That was one of the best posts I've read...ever.

truly lovely david!

thank you for the well stated post.

tv is one of the biggest time killers out there. getting hooked on a weekly/daily program that ends up commanding your non-work schedule. personally once i started to break myself of the tv cycle i found myself with so much more time to enjoy things like woodworking, spending 45 minutes on a luxury straight shave, writing... these activities invariably lends a sense of accomplishment and gratification that tv never could.

cheers,
ryan

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I know it's only Monday, but if this isn't go to be the post of the week I don't know what will.

And now it's Friday afternoon, and hopefully all my B&B friends down south are off celebrating a long weekend and various patriotic activities. Me, I'm still here at work.

Ah well, the weekend will be the time for a few simple pleasures. I think I'll go for a multi-pass shave tomorrow, have a good cup of coffee, mow the lawn, and kiss my sweetheart. That should take up most of the morning. (French press, french kiss ... :lol:)

Spend you time with a purpose. As Kipling said "if you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the earth and everything that's in it. And, which is more, you'll be a Man, my son." Fine words; I will add a coda for relaxation. Yes, you fill the unforgiving minute if you can. But sometimes, you fill it with sixty seconds' worth of sitting quietly. Don't waste time, but use it wisely ... even when using it for rest.

Enjoy the weekend guys! Smell the roses.

The sheer number of responses to this post attests to the truth within it.

Wet shaving has helped me start the day slower and saner.

I think this sums up exactly why I like proper shaving (that and, the hairs don't get stuck in the blade(s)). We dropped cable when we moved 2.5 years ago, never miss it except for some red sox games. We listen to lots of vinyl too - same basic philosophy.

First day I have been to this website. Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. When I retired a few years ago I decided there were two small things I was going to do: One was quit wearing a wrist watch, the other was to quit carrying keys. Did both.
Since then I have pretty well quit watching TV. I watch probably 1/2 hour per month. You would be amazed how much time that frees up.
I also enjoy tending my garden.
Stan41

Timeless indulgence has always been a quiet motto of mine. When work is over i would get out and put it behind me and focus on the rest of the day, prefferably with my feet on the table. Or the straight in my hand and take all the time i need to finish. :biggrin: You don't have to keep being frenetically active all the time to feel like you're doing something with your life. It does the mind and body well to do whatever it is that makes you feel at ease, that is life in it's essence.

Good now that you have all realized the error of your ways. Come see me on saturday and get a traditional shave with all the hot towels hot lather and oils and the massage it takes to lather you up for about a 45 minute experiance and relax...lol no really seek out some purveyor of the shave that knows what he or she is doing and enjoy some you time.:001_smile

I've not been on the board long and just read this. Well said by all. The older I get, the less I like alot of the "modern life".

Right now I think I need to go out and get a wide brim hat and a walking stick

David, that is an excellent post. I feel better after reading it. Thank you for that well written introspective. Speaking of being a master of the clock, I think I will now close up my briefcase, put on my hat (yes, I'm a little old-fashioned), go home and have an old-fashioned home cooked meal with the family at one table, and then afterward read something to my young daughter. Good evening.

Top Bottom